Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 new DXI650s. I see Polk sells amplifiers. Are they necessary for an average music listener?. I've read that the Polks are fairly efficient. 2012 UVO system in my EX.

The other question is, how much pain is involved in wiring in a Polk amp? I imagine the amp would fit under the seat(?) What about routing the wires. I'm not to hip on tearing into the dash and floor liner.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello, this is my first post here, but I've done a few installs with other cars.

I actually have the base system myself and will be doing an upgrade pretty soon.

Regarding your question, the polks are 92db/1watt efficient. That is a pretty efficient speaker, so ordinarily I would say that you could probably get by with a stock stereo, however crutchfield shows their power range from 6w - 60 (RMS) and that leads me to believe they would behave much better with a stock amp. I doubt the head unit puts out more than 10 watts RMS.

Regarding the amp question, you'll need to get to your dash (easier IMO) or pull inputs from speaker wires before they go out into the doors (Harder IMO).

If you go with an external amp, you're going to also have to run a power wire through the firewall to the battery for almost all amps.

There is one amp, the Alpine KTP-445U (Alpine KTP-445U "Power Pack" Upgrade any car radio to 45 watts RMS X 4 at Crutchfield.com) that puts out 45w per channel (x4) RMS. The nice part is it is class D, so it is small and efficient, and also, you can typically run it from the power wires already powering your stock stereo.

I do not know if there is enough room to install it behind the head unit, or if you would have to install it down in the console, but this would push your Polk's quite nicely.

If you plan on using this to power a sub, I would not recommend it as 45w just isn't enough.

Whatever you do, make sure that you ground your amp to the same ground as your head unit to avoid ground loops which can cause humming. Also, do your best to avoid running power cables parallel and in close proximity to speaker wires or source wires. (It's okay if they cross at 90 degree angles as that won't pickup the EMI).

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stig

Thanks Stig. Your post was very helpful and quite professional. Thanks again.

I think I'll stick with just speakers, but try to do the install right, using some kind of sound deadening mat. Dynamat looks nice, but is pretty expensive.

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installed

I removed the stock speakers in the 2012 EX with UVO. Put in 4 POLK DXI650 speakers. I kept the stock tweeters for the time being. I'm pleased to report that the Polk speakers are very efficient. The stock UVO has no problems powering them.

The DXI650s perform well for Jazz and the 70s rock I listen to. The music is more ballanced. Singing sounds more normal. For a cheap upgrade, I'm happy.

The hip hop crowd would probably need more base.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts