Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT-edition CRDI 2.0 -16 // Volkswagen Passat 4-motion -17
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

Can you help me locate the EGR. It´s probably clogged since i´m getting P0401 and loss of power.

Red, green or yellow? (i´m guessing red but i want to be sure)

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
from here it looks like the red.(yellow is the fuel filter).it should have 4 or 5 allen key bolts on top and it will lift out but to clean it out the whole unit under it (including the pipe and cooler)will have to be disconected.the pipe will run from the exaust manifold to the inlet manifold.if its anything like the 1.6 CRDI its not a nice job.very tight on space.
good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, will try and clean it today!

Alcapone: I don´t know, ask your dealer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well since it´s my picture that i took myself i´m pretty sure that it´s a ceed i own! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the EGR connected to the cooling? i thought that it was only combustion and vacuum. When i look at tutorials i only see the intake and the canals from the EGR that usually are clogged.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i took it apart and could not really find any blockage in the EGR nor the cooling bits. The next step is to take apart the intake manifold and removing the turbo but i did not have the time for this.

I also tested the EGR valve by adding 12v to the system and the valve worked fine.

Dunno why my car is loosing power. Worked fine during the winter but now when it gets hotter it stalls and i loose boost.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone who has a voltmeter/multimeter to measure the cable connecting to the EGR?

I started the car and disconnected the EGR cable. I measured the voltage to only 10.8. I dont know if this is some kind i idle voltage. It worked fine when i connected it to an 220->12V converter.

Anyone?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,847 Posts
Is the EGR connected to the cooling? i thought that it was only combustion and vacuum. When i look at tutorials i only see the intake and the canals from the EGR that usually are clogged.
No, the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve (EGR) is not connected to the cooling, it connects a line from the exhaust pipe to the intake manifold.

The exhaust contaminants clog up the pipe and EGR.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,847 Posts
Well i took it apart and could not really find any blockage in the EGR nor the cooling bits. The next step is to take apart the intake manifold and removing the turbo but i did not have the time for this.

I also tested the EGR valve by adding 12v to the system and the valve worked fine.

Dunno why my car is loosing power. Worked fine during the winter but now when it gets hotter it stalls and i loose boost.
If the EGR is stuck open and allowing flow when it shouldn't, you may notice a drop in performance - as a test, you could blank off the EGR.

It sounds more like you have a vacuum leak on the intake system, or as you already suspect, a bad turbo.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,847 Posts
My previous comments were made with the thought that this was a petrol engine - anyway, the EGR works much the same, just this one passes the exhaust gas through the EGR then a cooler and into the intake manifold.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the illustrations! i now understand how the system is put togehter.

ron1004: ok, i thought it was weird but i see that you missed the diesel part! Thanks!

So...if anyone that has i similar CRDI (2.0, 1.6) could measure the voltage on the connector whilst in idle (i got 10.8v) it would be great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey!

Can you help me locate the EGR. It´s probably clogged since i´m getting P0401 and loss of power.

Red, green or yellow? (i´m guessing red but i want to be sure)

Thanks!
hello, I had loss of power problem with mine ceed 2l crdi -08. Kia service changed EGR but same problem.

The problem was the Connector(on the wire) between the turbo and EGR. the redone the connector and I got all my power back. so check that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts