Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about the clunk/strut problem that many people have been discussing and I have a question to see if it's the same thing I have been having. In my 2004 Sedona EX (silver) with about 22K miles, after driving for about 20 minutes we hear a "plunk" - just once, which may happen again about 10 or 20 minutes later. But it's just once at a time. I say "plunk" versus "clunk" because it sounds almost like a drop of water hitting a piece of tin. Is this what the rest of you are talking about or am I experiencing something different? I have not taken it in for this yet because I know they won't test drive it for half an hour to wait for the sound which may or may not happen at that time. I'd like a clue to give the mechanic in case they aren't getting much of this.

The other thing I've experienced is thumping that shakes the whole van upon stopping and re-acceleration (like at a stop sign or stoplight). It happens in the cold weather and we thought it was related to the recall on the wheel barings; however, when we explained it to the mechanix, he gave a lecture on anti-lock brakes and that's the way they work. How can it be the anti-lock brakes when it happens upon re-acceleration - the brakes are not engaged at that point. The thumping is more strong than loud, as it shakes the van but isn't really audible. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
The first sound doesn't sound like the same problem other people are having. That's a new one to me, so I'm not sure I can offer much insight to you.

Does the "thump" just happen once each time you stop or accelerate?

Does it sound/feel like it's coming from the rear?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "thump" only happens when stopping or coming away from a stop. It feels like a thump-thump-thump-thump-thump and it is so strong that it feels like the whole van is going to flip right over the front end (like a somersault). It only happens in COLD weather (30F or less). It's sounds like it's in the back but feels like the front. Of course, each time it happens, it catches me off guard and really freaks me out and then it's done, so I've not paid specific attention to it as I am just trying to get my van to go at that time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
It's so hard to diagnose a sound/vibration without hearing it. Nothing comes to mind as far as what could cause such a feeling or sound AND be temperature related. If it's as strong as you say it is, then it's got to be something heavy making it; and heavy=important. I would take it back to the mechanic and tell him it is not the anti-lock brakes and demand he looks it over to find the problem. This could be a real safety issue, so don't be afraid to throw a fit.

I wish I had an explanation for you.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Kia Mech,

About Sedona Owner thumping problem.

You don't think it's the rear axle shifting? however my money is on the rear brakes, I think their seizing and releasing.
seacam

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Without skidding a tire? If one side was braking more than the other side, the van would at least pull to one side. Is there more brake dust on one of the rear wheels more than the other?

There is a valve in the rear that senses how much the rear is loaded and adjusts the rear brake force as needed. Possibly there is something going on there? Moisture freezing?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Kia Mech,

Yes points made, still think it has something to do with the rear wheels.

Kia Owner didn't say if he had the van from new. I'm just wondering if there is the remotest posability that the wrong brake shoes have been fitted at sometime in the van's history if secondhand but I'm just reaching, odd one this.
seacam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions. We will be taking it back in real soon for further evaluation, as it is really getting cold here in IL now. There are also many minor things that need to be addressed, considering it is under warranty (little, non-critical things like certain numbers on the digital odometer don't illuminate, the right-sliding door doesn't always unlock with the keyless remote when all the others do, etc.) However, this braking/accelleration issue does seem like a safety issue.

In answer to some of the follow-up questions:
We bought the van new in November 2003 (it's a 2004).
The tires are wearing evenly, although I haven' noticed brake dust.
The van does not skid or move to one side when the thumping happens.

On the plus side, the "plunk" has not been observed since the recall work was done (I posted the original post the same day as the work.) Perhaps that was something with the throttle cable that was addressed. I'm not sure exactlywhen we'll get the van back in the dealership, but once I do and have a definitive answer for the thumping, I will be sure to post it. (It takes a lot of coordination of vehicles and kids to give up the van for any period of time, if you know what I mean...)

Thanks again for all the comments!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts