Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a' 12 SX and haven't changed my plugs at all she has 99K miles (Motor was replaced at 85K but I'm assuming they didn't replace the plugs), I think I'm due :) i was reading some post/forums and there were mixed "feelings" as to which plug or who (Dealership) should be doing it. I went a head and bought these Denso Spark Plug Iridium Long-Life Part # 3479 Hopefully they work out for me. The dealership wanted around $35/plug :eek: and around $315 to do the job.

On a side note- I'm on my second coupling assy (Part number- 47800-3B520) in 10K miles.... anyone have this type of problem with their SX AWD?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,811 Posts
I have a' 12 SX and haven't changed my plugs at all she has 99K miles (Motor was replaced at 85K but I'm assuming they didn't replace the plugs), I think I'm due :) i was reading some post/forums and there were mixed "feelings" as to which plug or who (Dealership) should be doing it. I went a head and bought these Denso Spark Plug Iridium Long-Life Part # 3479 Hopefully they work out for me. The dealership wanted around $35/plug :eek: and around $315 to do the job.

On a side note- I'm on my second coupling assy (Part number- 47800-3B520) in 10K miles.... anyone have this type of problem with their SX AWD?
If its not the custom Kia / NGK plugs, you should be able to find the exact plug for <$10 on Amazon.

If its the custom plugs covered in the below thread, I wouldn't take the risk with anything else.
https://www.kia-forums.com/4g-2016-2018-sportage/279210-sx-plugs-r-r-10.html

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX FWD
220 Posts
Totally forget the dealerships for a plug change. My son in law was quoted a price of $470.00 by a long Island N.Y. dealership for a 2.0T. The OEM ND Iridium plugs were $9.35 ea. from Rock Auto, and it took me about 20 min's with a cold motor to do the job..and probably 10 min's of that was brushing the dust off the boots.
The hardest part for me was disconnecting the electric clips with my beat up fingers.

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Totally forget the dealerships for a plug change. My son in law was quoted a price of $470.00 by a long Island N.Y. dealership for a 2.0T. The OEM ND Iridium plugs were $9.35 ea. from Rock Auto, and it took me about 20 min's with a cold motor to do the job..and probably 10 min's of that was brushing the dust off the boots.
The hardest part for me was disconnecting the electric clips with my beat up fingers.
Yeah i dont plan on letting the dealership do it, I just cant believe it hasn't been done before. I have a stack of all my service papers/records and nothing on there says anything about changing of the plugs. :|;)

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of the old plugs (Part number SILZKR8E with a 9G under it) were gaped at .032, my next size up was a .035 which did not fit any of the plug gaps. These plugs had 99K miles on them.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,811 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX AWD
527 Posts
2 years ago, after reading about cracked spark plugs, i had ordered some HKS M40 racing plugs ($30 each) but they sent me the M45XL instead, i installed them anyways (didn't even bother to gap them) and havent had any problems. just uner 30,000 miles. They are 2 steps colder than the stock plugs for the 3Gen, and i've found out that Kia has actually lowered the cold rating by 1 on the 4Gen, so they're only 1 step colder).

https://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-2016-sportage/289522-spark-plugs.html

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
2 years ago, after reading about cracked spark plugs, i had ordered some HKS M40 racing plugs ($30 each) but they sent me the M45XL instead, i installed them anyways (didn't even bother to gap them) and havent had any problems. just uner 30,000 miles. They are 2 steps colder than the stock plugs for the 3Gen, and i've found out that Kia has actually lowered the cold rating by 1 on the 4Gen, so they're only 1 step colder).

https://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-2016-sportage/289522-spark-plugs.html
I purchased the Denso replacements off Advanced auto parts, i think they were $13/each. but i had a coupon code and ended up getting about $14 off. I believe they are a Denso heat range of "20" which roughly cross references to an NGK heat range of 6. Not sure that matter much but we shall see. My guy said you cant really just look at the plugs anymore to see if they are "good" or "bad" theres a machine that you can hook up them to and visually see them spark etc. I dont know but the dealership said every 45K miles and those had a 100K so i figured it was time to change them.

·
Super Moderator
9,811 Posts
I purchased the Denso replacements off Advanced auto parts, i think they were $13/each. but i had a coupon code and ended up getting about $14 off. I believe they are a Denso heat range of "20" which roughly cross references to an NGK heat range of 6. Not sure that matter much but we shall see. My guy said you cant really just look at the plugs anymore to see if they are "god" or "bad" theres a machine that you can hook up them to and visually see them spark etc. I dont know but the dealership said every 45K miles and those had a 100K so i figured it was time to change them.
Denso replacements for the NGK SIL ZK R8E ?

What Denso part numbers, and were these selected from a cross-reference chart?

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Denso replacements for the NGK SIL ZK R8E ?

What Denso part numbers, and were these selected from a cross-reference chart?
I just went to Advanced auto parts and put in my car info and those came up. I crossed reference the heat range from a chart i found online (I found A-LOT of them and they were all consistent.) I tried to get a hold of Denso but i didn't get a response back.

·
Super Moderator
9,811 Posts
I just went to Advanced auto parts and put in my car info and those came up. I crossed reference the heat range from a chart i found online (I found A-LOT of them and they were all consistent.) I tried to get a hold of Denso but i didn't get a response back.
What I understand happened is that Kia changed the plug spec at a later date to the NGK SIL ZK R8E , and that would mean the aftermarket places may not have updated their charts.

The aftermarket shops do not have any cross reference for the NGK SIL ZK R8E , so you need to be comfortable using a plug that does not match the latest Kia revision.

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I understand happened is that Kia changed the plug spec at a later date to the NGK SIL ZK R8E , and that would mean the aftermarket places may not have updated their charts.

The aftermarket shops do not have any cross reference for the NGK SIL ZK R8E , so you need to be comfortable using a plug that does not match the latest Kia revision.
I believe you are correct, I found a thread on here that showed the difference between the old/original style plug the updated style plug. When i bought my replacements i looked at them before i took them out of the counter and noticed that they were the original style plug. I feel comfortable with them being that mine lasted 100K miles :wacko: hopefully i didn't just jinx myself. I think i was more worried about the heat range because I never found a definitive answer as to what the stock (either new or old style) heat range was.

·
Super Moderator
9,811 Posts
All of the old plugs (Part number SILZKR8E with a 9G under it) were gaped at .032, my next size up was a .035 which did not fit any of the plug gaps. These plugs had 99K miles on them.
I believe you are correct, I found a thread on here that showed the difference between the old/original style plug the updated style plug. When i bought my replacements i looked at them before i took them out of the counter and noticed that they were the original style plug. I feel comfortable with them being that mine lasted 100K miles :wacko: hopefully i didn't just jinx myself. I think i was more worried about the heat range because I never found a definitive answer as to what the stock (either new or old style) heat range was.
I don't really understand what you're saying there.

The old plugs you took out were the latest revision NGK SIL ZK R8E, and now you plan on going back with something that is not a direct match - are you comfortable with that risk?

I purchased the Denso replacements
Denso don't have a direct replacement for the NGK SIL ZK R8E.

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I don't really understand what you're saying there.

The old plugs you took out were the latest revision NGK SIL ZK R8E, and now you plan on going back with something that is not a direct match - are you comfortable with that risk?

Denso don't have a direct replacement for the NGK SIL ZK R8E.
NO one makes a direct replacement except NGK

Based on the pictures that i saw on this forum those were not the new plugs that i pulled out of my car. SILZKR8E (9G) are the old style plugs, I could be wrong...but they sure dont look like what the updated (18857 09085) plugs look like.

As for my DENSO replacements, I just put in my cars info and those came up. Long story short they work and i'm OK with "risking" it being that my original (or so i think) plugs lasted 99K miles. Unless the dealership changed the plugs with out putting it on any of my service records/papers (I have ALL of them) then I'm going to stick with my thoughts of the plugs (SILZKR8E (9G)) that I pulled out were original.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,811 Posts
NO one makes a direct replacement except NGK

Based on the pictures that i saw on this forum those were not the new plugs that i pulled out of my car. SILZKR8E (9G) are the old style plugs, I could be wrong...but they sure dont look like what the updated (18857 09085) plugs look like.
Maybe "old style" but there's no cross-reference match for those, and using anything else is a risk, and not knowing the difference between those and the Denso you bought, you don't really know what that risk is.

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe "old style" but there's no cross-reference match for those, and using anything else is a risk, and not knowing the difference between those and the Denso you bought, you don't really know what that risk is.
I would agree with that completely but lets see what happens.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage 4 cyl. 2.4l FI
64 Posts
So funny that some just posted this. I will be changing the plugs Friday. I also got Denso plugs, from Advanced auto with a code for 25% off so they were actually cheaper than rock auto. Also changing the boots(coil on boot) at the same time. Every place I looked said Denso #3479 was the part. Also know a mechanic that says Denso and NGK are the best. Got the coil on boot from rock auto though even with the 25% off at Advanced rock auto was cheaper. I figure if I can change the coil pack on a Volvo I can change the spark plugs on a Sportage. Also, the gap on the Denso is .0044. Anyone know what it is supposed to be There is a tutorial online that says .044 and the online store said it is pre-gapped don't change it.

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn’t replace anything other then the spark plugs themselves. Shes running fine maybe even idles a little better but that could just be me justifying the plug change 🤷🏻‍♂️. In the past 3 months she got new plugs, cleaned my K&N ( which was disgusting 😬) new front brakes and new Continental tires. Hopefully she runs for another 100K especially being that the motor and turbo were replaced at ~85K

1 - 18 of 18 Posts