Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got my wife a 2013 Rio LX 4 door and decided she needs some seat covers after the baby started spilling stuff in the back seat. She'd also like something for the front, mostly for rides home after working out at the Y.

We're used to leather interiors and these fabric seats won't hold up the same. Can anyone recommend some faux leather or other water resistant seats that fit the Rio well? She got the silver car with black interior.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Forte5 SX, 2017 KIA Sportage EX Lux, 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 2m6
77 Posts
I would caution just getting covers for the seats - due to the side-seat airbags. Something for the rear would be no problem. If in an accident and the airbag is obstructed, an insurance company *could* deny some claims as having a safety system disabled... not to mention the possible safety issue to you. Just a fair warning in case anything happens (hope nothing ever does).

Getting a complete replacement rather than slip-over cover is a better way to go, as they will have the proper stitching for the airbags to blow through (still read above).
I've heard great things about Car Leather Upholstery | Custom Auto Leather Interiors by Katzkin interiors - though their prices are a bit more than the ebay listing above.

You could use some towels or a blanket for the backseat....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses. If it were mine I'd probably just fabric guard and be done with it, but it's my wife's first new car and our baby can do a lot of liquid damage in the back seat. Fabric guard up front and a bench type protector in back might work.

It's a shame that budget models don't offer leather. As a $1k option it would be affordable, but a $2k aftermarket job which can't be financed is out of the ballpark.

p.s. She is enjoying the car (silver 4 door A/T with power package). I drove it around all day yesterday while shopping for my own and I really like it. It has nice pickup and the fuel economy, while not stellar, is still pretty good. My biggest criticism is how it drives on the highway. I think because of the areo-dynamics and light weight it feels squirly and gets blown around. Overall a good value though @ 3k down and 185 a month for 72. I'm leaning towards a manual Accent hatchback for myself as it'd be slightly cheaper and a different model from hers.

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
Hey welcome to the forums and im glad you guys are really enjoying the Rio.

I notice being blown around as well on big bridges with lots of winds. At first I thought there was something wrong with the car but it was just me fighting against harsh winds haha. Normal highway I notice a bit of wiggling around 130+ kms but anything under is fine.

Local group has a green accent hatch that we help each other mod with and I love the colour. Good luck with your next purchase

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
After owning for 15 months & two 2800 kilometer road trips I don't find that the SX feels "Blown around" in crosswinds. Might be because of the sport or firmer suspension & the 17" Wheels with 45 series tyres. I think it's a great highway cruiser.Quiet (except for tyre noise on grainy or rough surfaces)great seats & virtually no wind noise. It's no hardship to spent 8 hours behind the wheel & I'm 67 !

·
Registered
384 Posts
Bigger wheels look good, they are main contributors to bumpier ride, harsher ride, but may handle and respond a bit better because there is less tire and less flex on turns.

Ive only noticed being blown a couple times but that was when we had wind storms of knots blowing over trees and power lines. With my current suspension I go easily 160-180 without any shaking. Turn super tight corners on test track too although there is still a bit of body roll. Waiting on reply for strut bar...really need something in the engine bay.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
Just another thought... i had vinyl seat covers in a dodge truck that worked well... wiped clean no problem and looked like leather.. in fact, most leather seats in a car are just that.. the seat part is elather, the rest vinyl. Try going to an upholstery shop and let them know what you are looking for and they can quote you a price.. they'll stich it to fit perfectly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I bought an Accent yesterday. I'm leaning towards just fabric spray myself. My wife almost picked up a wetsuit type material seat cover at Costco today - but when I opened the box, found that it did not cover the back of the seat. Our 2 year old kicks and scuffs the back of the seat. We'll probably find her a set of airbag approved, water resistant covers for under 100 bucks. Although having something stitched in would be nicer, it's going to be really expensive relative to that.

As far as the ride goes, my last car was a VW GTI I got new in 2005. It was very stable on the highway and had that famous solid feel that German cars have on the road. My understanding is it has much to do with the suspension and steering components. The Accent seems to feel a bit more like the GTI than the Rio does and makes me wonder which parts are different in these very similar cars (Rio and Accent).

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well, I bought an Accent yesterday. I'm leaning towards just fabric spray myself. My wife almost picked up a wetsuit type material seat cover at Costco today - but when I opened the box, found that it did not cover the back of the seat. Our 2 year old kicks and scuffs the back of the seat. We'll probably find her a set of airbag approved, water resistant covers for under 100 bucks. Although having something stitched in would be nicer, it's going to be really expensive relative to that.

As far as the ride goes, my last car was a VW GTI I got new in 2005. It was very stable on the highway and had that famous solid feel that German cars have on the road. My understanding is it has much to do with the suspension and steering components. The Accent seems to feel a bit more like the GTI than the Rio does and makes me wonder which parts are different in these very similar cars (Rio and Accent).
Well depending on the trim that you get. The accent is actually a bit heavier and the only difference in the SE edition is the steering mount and column compared to the rio SX version where the suspension is manotube and struts are sports struts (according to website).

Most reviews Ive come across say that the rio hatch resembles much of the gold/gti look and feel. accent and Rio both have same engine and chasity and share a ton of the same parts if you crosscheck vin numbers.

Personal taste I like the look of the Rio over the Accent Hatch. But I think accent sedan looks a bit better if only they had a diffuser from factory

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
4 Posts
I have a 2 year old son who is really messy too and decided to get seat covers also. I found a set that I liked on amazon for about $50. But I couldn't figure out how to put them on the back seat. I actually took them to the dealership and they put them on for me. They had to remove the entire back seat to do so and it took over an hour, but now I have them on and I'm very happy. I wasn't charged for it either!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 2 year old son who is really messy too and decided to get seat covers also. I found a set that I liked on amazon for about $50. But I couldn't figure out how to put them on the back seat. I actually took them to the dealership and they put them on for me. They had to remove the entire back seat to do so and it took over an hour, but now I have them on and I'm very happy. I wasn't charged for it either!
Which set did you get?

As far as the Rio/Accent similarities/differences I have a base manual Accent hatch and my wife has a base auto Rio sedan. Like I said, I'm not sure what is different, but they drive differently. The transmission is part of it, but there is something more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts