Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I appreciate the opportunity to be here.
Dear friends I come to you for help, I have problems with the TPS and the check engine light is on. I think the previous owner changed the order of the KIA 2002 TPS wires, I have been looking in google and found 2 different diagrams but I do not know which of the 2 is correct for my Sportage 2002, I place each one to see if someone knows the correct order of the wiring:

Diagram 1:
Pin1 = GRN/YEL (Green/Yellow)
Pin2 = YEL/GRN (Yellow/Green)
Pin3 = YEL/BLK (Yellow/Black)

Diagram 2:
Pin1 = YEL/BLK (Yellow/Black)
Pin2 = GRN/YEL (Green/Yellow)
Pin3 = YEL/GRN (Yellow/Green)

It would be great if someone could take a picture of your TPS connector where can see the colors and position of them from Sportage 2002, I would appreciate any guidance.

Thank you.
(Please excuse my english.)

Registered
Discussion Starter #2

Super Moderator
You could measure the TPS with a multimeter to identify the wiper and make sure that goes to the yel/blk wire and pin 73 on the ECU.

The other two wires can go to either of the two remaining TPS terminals, but depending on which way you place them the TPS signal will be correct, and the other way will be reversed - that you can check with an OBDII scanner.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
You could measure the TPS with a multimeter to identify the wiper and make sure that goes to the yel/blk wire and pin 73 on the ECU.

The other two wires can go to either of the two remaining TPS terminals, but depending on which way you place them the TPS signal will be correct, and the other way will be reversed - that you can check with an OBDII scanner.
ron1004, thanks for responding, I'm not sure if I understand the procedure you're telling me to identify the wiper. I don't have much technical knowledge :(

OBD-II, That's another issue. My KIA does not have the OBD-II port (I couldn't find that port.), I could only find the Data link port in the engine area.

I found this procedure (https://www.troublecodes.net/kia/) for reading error codes, but i don't know if this can be done without risk in my Sportage 2002

Is it safe to do this?
thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
What you have for diagram 1 is what I have.
Pin 1- grn/yel
Pin 2- yel/gen
Pin 3- yel/blk

Steve, USA 2001 Kia Sportage Limited 2x2
Steve_Sidwell, thanks for your response and help, I'm going to check if that's the order my TPS connector currently has.
My KIA is 2002, I guess there is no variation in the order by year, right?

Super Moderator
ron1004, thanks for responding, I'm not sure if I understand the procedure you're telling me to identify the wiper. I don't have much technical knowledge :(

OBD-II, That's another issue. My KIA does not have the OBD-II port (I couldn't find that port.), I could only find the Data link port in the engine area.

I found this procedure (https://www.troublecodes.net/kia/) for reading error codes, but i don't know if this can be done without risk in my Sportage 2002

View attachment 112505
Is it safe to do this?
thanks
Yes you can use that method of the jumper in the DLC in the engine compartment, and count the sequence of CEL flashes and the chart to identify the error code, but this will not help view the TPS signal in real time.

Do you have a multimeter?

If you measure the resistance across each pair or TPS terminals while moving the TPS, the two that do not show any change, remain steady at whatever resistance say for example 2000 Ohm, are not the wiper. The remaining terminal is the wiper and it should got to the yel/blk wire and pin 73 on the ECU.

Most often the wiper is the center/middle connection.

You can then safely try the remaining two wires each way on the two terminals that were confirmed NOT to be the wiper - one way it will not respond correctly, then just reverse them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Yes you can use that method of the jumper in the DLC in the engine compartment, and count the sequence of CEL flashes and the chart to identify the error code, but this will not help view the TPS signal in real time.

If you measure the resistance across each pair or TPS terminals while moving the TPS, the two that do not show any change, remain steady at whatever resistance say for example 2000 Ohm, are not the wiper. The remaining terminal is the wiper and it should got to the yel/blk wire and pin 73 on the ECU.

You can then safely try the remaining two wires each way on the two terminals that were confirmed NOT to be the wiper - one way it will not respond correctly, then just reverse them.

Excellent explanation 馃憤 Thanks, now I understand.
I'm going to remove the TPS and do the test you tell me, when I finish I'm going to post the results.

Is it normal that my Sportage does not have OBDII port?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
Excellent explanation 馃憤 Thanks, now I understand.
I'm going to remove the TPS and do the test you tell me, when I finish I'm going to post the results.

Is it normal that my Sportage does not have OBDII port?

Thanks.
From 1995 onward it was mandated in the US market. It slowly became the norm worldwide soon after, so you will find a few with only the DLC in other markets.

I have read of others using an interface adapter connecting the DLC to a standard OBDII device, but otherwise an expensive diagnostic tool is needed for the DLC.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13

ron1004, I attach the results of the test you suggested to me.
I think this confirms without a doubt that diagram1 is the right one, thanks to you and Steve_Sidwell for the help.馃檪

Now I still have to solve, if the TPS is working well or bad, I think this can only be checked with the scanner as you told me.
thanks

Super Moderator
What you have for diagram 1 is what I have.
Pin 1- grn/yel
Pin 2- yel/gen
Pin 3- yel/blk

ron1004, I attach the results of the test you suggested to me.
I think this confirms without a doubt that diagram1 is the right one, thanks to you and Steve_Sidwell for the help.馃檪

Now I still have to solve, if the TPS is working well or bad, I think this can only be checked with the scanner as you told me.
thanks
Those readings and @Steve_Sidwell confirmation, would confirm that it is diagram 1.

I'd connect it and with the ignition on confirm the voltage on Pin 3 through the throttle position range.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Found a great video of exactly the same TPS as yours:

ron1004 excellent video, thanks.

I did the test as you suggested following the instructions in the video and I get this results (same voltage), I mean, with the TPS closed the value is 0.37v and completely open 4.25v.
That makes me assume the problem isn't TPS, at least that's what I think,
What do you think?

I have problems with explosions and Unstable Engine Idle and when I disconnect the TPS everything becomes stable.

thanks

Super Moderator
ron1004 excellent video, thanks.

I did the test as you suggested following the instructions in the video and I get this results (same voltage), I mean, with the TPS closed the value is 0.37v and completely open 4.25v.
That makes me assume the problem isn't TPS, at least that's what I think,
What do you think?

I have problems with explosions and Unstable Engine Idle and when I disconnect the TPS everything becomes stable.

thanks
I'd say the TPS is good based on the test, but strange that the idle stabilizes when its disconnected.

Maybe timing is off, but that's just speculation without having fault codes.

Registered
Your data link connector should be on the right side of the steering wheel just under the dash, OBD2 connection. Unless is was relocated on an 02 model.

Registered
Try back probing you tps with your meter with the connector connected to the tps and see what the voltage does when you slowly open the throttle. Probably wouldn't hurt to back prob at the ecm and see if you are getting the same readings.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts