Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Kia Optima 2.4 L V6 misfire #6 I then replaced the spark plugs and wires and fuel filter. Again misfire #6 I took it into Amco to test the compression and the coils said they were both good. CEL was reset and still misfiring. Moved fuel injector #6 to the #4 position hoping the check engine light would come on say #4 misfire and all I would have to do was replace the fuel injector. Still no check engine light and it still misfiring. screwdriver to the fuel injectors they all sound like they're firing off I'm lost and don't know what to do

·
Registered
Subaru WRX
247 Posts
if you have fuel and spark then there has to be an issue with the cylinder. What were the results of your compression test dry, wet, and running?

·
Registered
2014 Sportage LX AWD, 2014 Forte LX+
297 Posts
There are only so many things that can go wrong:
- spark
- compression
- fuel
- air

Go with free/cheap to check first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As per aamco compression was "at factory specs" I forgot what they had told me but he said it ruled out head gasket, valves an piston rings. I've still been waiting for the CEL to come on but nothing, last night I checked the fuel pressure regulator. I read a post on here saying they had a similar problem where gasoline was leaking into intake and that was causing a misfire -0- gas found in the vacume hose. I'm at a complete loss. If it was timing wouldn't that cause a misfire on all cylinders and not just one. Same with coil if coil was going because two are on one coil wouldn't another cylinder be misfiring. Seems like I'll never get to the end of this

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same nightmare! 2.7L

If you figure this out, please let me know. If I figure it out, I will definately PM you. I have the exact same problem. Misfire on #6 , then sometimes on #2 , and sometimes on #4 . These are all on bank 2 (same side on the front of motor).

Replaced all coils, plugs, and all 4 O2 sensors. Spent a fricken fortune so far!

I checked and tested OCV (oil control valves). I could only remove bank 2 OCV to check for any debris or clogging. It was clear and OHM resistance was within specs. I wasn't able to remove Bank 1 OCV because you have dismantle the hell out of the motor to pull it out. But, I was able to measure its resistance; which was also within specs.

I test TPS resistance; again it was within specs.

Here is my Freeze Frame data when the misfire comes back. if anyone wants to look:

Freeze Frame
Fuel System 1 OL-Fault
Fuel System 2 N/A
Calc Load (%) 53.7
ECT (degrees C) 79
STFT B1 (%) 0
LTFT B1 (%) -0.8
STFT B2 (%) 0
LTFT B2 (%) -0.8
MAP (kPa) 65
Eng RPM 1880
Veh Speed (km/h) 83
Spark Adv (degrees) 23.5
IAT (degrees C) 8
MAF (g/s) 24.67
TPS (%) 25.1
Run Time (Sec) 1309
Command EVAP (%) 5.1
Fuel Level (%) 49
BARO (kPa) 92
ECU Volts (V) 14.25
LOAD Value (%) 50.2
EQ Ratio 1.001
Rel TPS (%) 16.1
TPS B (%) 25.1
ACC Pedal D (%) 24.3
ACC Pedal E (%) 12.2
Command TAC (%) 21.6

·
Registered
2002 Kia Optima 2.7 SE V6
3 Posts
What about the gap on the plugs themselves i know they say they come pre gapped but i doubled checked mine when i did mine and they weren't gapped properly

·
Registered
Chevrolet 3500 LB Duley 2005 - Kia 2005 Optima LX
2 Posts
Darriel Probably has the best answer. I had the same problem with the 2005 Optima and they gave new coils to replace the aftermarket junk I had bought. The Kia parts cost lots but I found they work in the ignition. Check the coils after dark and you will most likely find the ark lighting up the motor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts