Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Kia Soul I feel pretty stupid writing this, but I totally forgot to disconnect the battery when I removed my instrument cluster this morning. Once I reconnected it, the car didn’t start it would click everything worked but wouldn’t start. was really kicking myself, Im preying it’s not going to be one helluva expensive if I have to buy a new cluster Thanks for the help guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
2016 Kia Soul I feel pretty stupid writing this, but I totally forgot to disconnect the battery when I removed my instrument cluster this morning. Once I reconnected it, the car didn’t start it would click everything worked but wouldn’t start. was really kicking myself, Im preying it’s not going to be one helluva expensive if I have to buy a new cluster Thanks for the help guys!
The only reason why its advised to disconnect the battery first for any such electrical work is to avoid the risk of creating shorts to ground and blowing fuses, so if no fuses are blown there's no reason why the dash removal and re-installation would cause the no-start.

Have you checked all the fuses?

·
Registered
112 Posts
My experience is limited up to 2011 models. There is nothing in that cluster that would "lock" the car not to start, but I don't know if the newer ones are "smarter". Take it apart again and see if you missed something, like connecting a plug.

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
I would suggest disconnecting the battery (negative terminal) for a short while (5mins) and then reconnect it... Electronics can sometimes get confused when power is interupted and all it takes is a few seconds of being totally powered down to reset them... Similar to problems with cell phones... My LG G8 phone has had a couple of times where it needed to be restarted and the problems went away...
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ron, Davespec and SoNice I checked the fuse last night it wasn’t blown. I tried starting it last night all the dash light last worked it kept clicking when I turned the key seems like it’s possible the battery might have been weak because after a few turns of key the battery was completely dead today I will see if a jump will work today. Keeping my fingers crossed. I’m glad I found this forum hopefully I will never step foot in a mechanic shop again it’s hard to trust them shops. Technology is a blessing between YouTube and DIY vids along with forums like this it’s unbelievable what the average person can accomplish these days. I apologize for any typos I was a construction guy in nyc my whole life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts