Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a Kia Sephia from 1998. I pay $900 one year ago and in all this time I just put money money money money in this car. Was always something else. I rebuilt the engine. I change the alternator, battery, A/C, all the belts, front axles, and many more.
I have a problem with the transmission. I went to pull-a-part and I took a trany from there. I really do not have 1200 bucks to pay for a rebuilt one.
I need the steps, how to install the transmission back. Please help me.

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,108 Posts
Hello

I have a Kia Sephia from 1998. I pay $900 one year ago and in all this time I just put money money money money in this car. Was always something else. I rebuilt the engine. I change the alternator, battery, A/C, all the belts, front axles, and many more.
I have a problem with the transmission. I went to pull-a-part and I took a trany from there. I really do not have 1200 bucks to pay for a rebuilt one.
I need the steps, how to install the transmission back. Please help me.
We need more information to help you out. Automatic or manual, your location (so we know if its LH or RH drive). And fill in your profile with your car info and your location so we don't have to always ask. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Kia Sephia 1998, LS , automatic transmission. I am living in Jackson MS United States. I tried to change the transmission by myself but I think I did something wrong because the engine is not starting. Is trying to rotate but something there is not how it should be. I didn`t see any marks. I was looking all over the places and the internet but I really didn't find anything that can help me. I am not a MECHANIC but all the thing that I did with the car where done 100% good before this transmission. I rebuilt the Engine, I change everything inside the engine, I change the alternator and all the belts, I change the front axles, oil & filter, air filter, seats, computer board, radio, coolant etc etc.
Now I know why a mechanic is asking $1000 to change the transmission. This car is looking like a garbage container, but I really don`t have the money to buy another one, or to go with this car at the service. I have tried to sell it for the parts but they offer me $100. I do not have another car, and now I am riding the bicycle. I do not have a full time job and I can`t find one. I am doing some remodeling for some people that I know them from the church. I really need this stupid car working. Please help me. I will need some pictures probably. I already hurt my hands trying to put this transmission, and I am angry because is not working.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,921 Posts
Did the guy at the salvage yard say the transmission was out of a working car? Maybe that's why the owner junked the car. Did you see the old car run?
Can you explain "Is trying to rotate but something there is not how it should be".
Do you hear the starter spinning or do you see the timing or accessory belt moving?
Was the transmission from the same year and model Sephia? If not you may have two different flywheels with two different size gears on the outside of it and it may not be meshing up with the gears on the starter and they won't engage.
Any extra info will help us help you.
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the guy at the salvage yard say the transmission was out of a working car? Maybe that's why the owner junked the car. Did you see the old car run?
Can you explain "Is trying to rotate but something there is not how it should be".
Do you hear the starter spinning or do you see the timing or accessory belt moving?
Was the transmission from the same year and model Sephia? If not you may have two different flywheels with two different size gears on the outside of it and it may not be meshing up with the gears on the starter and they won't engage.
Any extra info will help us help you.
Dave
hey Dave,

The car that I got the transmission I found at the pull-a-part yard. I do not know anything about the car. What i notice was that the engine was burned out. I know for sure is
When the car is trying to start, something there is not rotating the engine. I think is from the transmission more then sure. I believe is that big disk. I do not know if I should put it in a special position or not.
The transmission I got it from a 2000 Kia Spectra. I took a look the the transmission and the both of them look the same. Even all the inside car look`s the same with m sephia. The electric box is the same. the engine is the same time.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
hey Dave,

The car that I got the transmission I found at the pull-a-part yard. I do not know anything about the car. What i notice was that the engine was burned out. I know for sure is
When the car is trying to start, something there is not rotating the engine. I think is from the transmission more then sure. I believe is that big disk. I do not know if I should put it in a special position or not.
The transmission I got it from a 2000 Kia Spectra. I took a look the the transmission and the both of them look the same. Even all the inside car look`s the same with m sephia. The electric box is the same. the engine is the same time.
Thats the problem, I beleive there were changes in 99 or 2000 to the transmissions for the sephia/spectra as dave pointed out.
You got the wrong tranny..
Just because something "looks" same, don't make it the same.
Gotta look at part numbers, not what something looks like.

The junk yard should know this info. Mine always knows compatability. Yours, sounds like it just wants to make some $$ and will sell you whatever.

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,108 Posts
So when the donor transmission was out before the swap, did the torque converter turn at all? And what happened to the old transmission that required replacement?

·
Registered
8 Posts
So when the donor transmission was out before the swap, did the torque converter turn at all? And what happened to the old transmission that required replacement?
The torque converter tried to turn, but sound like something is holding back. Then I tried to start the engine one more time and the same sound. When I put my hands to disconnect the battery from the car, the battery cables were incredible HOT.

The previous transmission that I pull from my car, it was having problems with solenoid A & B or something like that. This is what the code was saying. I did a big mistake from the beginning; When the O/D light start to flashing, I try to change all the solenoids. After I did that, my transmission start to do all kind of funny things. No reverse was the first thing that I notice. Then, the transmission start to change the speed chaotic. So this is how I got to the pull-a-part and I am trying to save this junk car.

PS: 10 minutes ago, I was talking with my wife about the car. I am wondering if I should take the front axles, battery, alternator & the battery, and sell them. All this things are new. Not even 50 miles on them. I was trying to sell it at the pull-a-part, and they make me an offer for $100

I wish to have some money to buy a truck or something. I am at the point that I already spent more hour under the car then in the car. Just the registration and the insurance cost me until now more money then the stupid car. Plus the pieces, plus all the things that I did.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
The torque converter tried to turn, but sound like something is holding back. Then I tried to start the engine one more time and the same sound. When I put my hands to disconnect the battery from the car, the battery cables were incredible HOT.

The previous transmission that I pull from my car, it was having problems with solenoid A & B or something like that. This is what the code was saying. I did a big mistake from the beginning; When the O/D light start to flashing, I try to change all the solenoids. After I did that, my transmission start to do all kind of funny things. No reverse was the first thing that I notice. Then, the transmission start to change the speed chaotic. So this is how I got to the pull-a-part and I am trying to save this junk car.

PS: 10 minutes ago, I was talking with my wife about the car. I am wondering if I should take the front axles, battery, alternator & the battery, and sell them. All this things are new. Not even 50 miles on them. I was trying to sell it at the pull-a-part, and they make me an offer for $100

I wish to have some money to buy a truck or something. I am at the point that I already spent more hour under the car then in the car. Just the registration and the insurance cost me until now more money then the stupid car. Plus the pieces, plus all the things that I did.
I dunno how mechanically inclined tou are but trannys are preaty big buisness and 1 mess up could screw the whole thing up. These are best left to someone that knows trannys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I dunno how mechanically inclined tou are but trannys are preaty big buisness and 1 mess up could screw the whole thing up. These are best left to someone that knows trannys.
I rebuild the engine by my self, I change the alternator, axles, starter & other parts, but I didn't know anything about transmissions until now. I will try one more time and then I think I will start to use my 20LB hammer on this stupid car.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,144 Posts
I rebuild the engine by my self, I change the alternator, axles, starter & other parts, but I didn't know anything about transmissions until now. I will try one more time and then I think I will start to use my 20LB hammer on this stupid car.
Does the engine turn over freely by hand?

If the starter bendix gear is the right mesh and lines up with the ring gear, then it should at least crank the engine - the battery terminals and cables are getting hot because of the very high stall current drawn by the starter that is binding up (either within itself or the bendix and ring gear.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,144 Posts
Did you try turning the TC with tranny out?
Or try turning the tranny with the wheels off the ground, if it's mounted in the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you try turning the TC with tranny out?
Or try turning the tranny with the wheels off the ground, if it's mounted in the car.
Hey Ron,

I already try everything and some of them are working, some of them not.
I will take off the transmission from the car again Monday.

Please if you know how to put the transmission back in the RIGHT way and order, help me!

I really need step by step how to put the TC and the the transmission back.

·
Super Moderator
6,921 Posts
antistres...
You said "something there is not rotating the engine". Do you mean nothing on the engine shows signs of movement (like the belts/alternator/power steering pump pulley?).
1fastkia made me think that you may have just bolted the old starter to the bell housing of the "new" tranny and like I said before the gears DO NOT MATCH and the starter is either spinning and can't mesh with the gears on the flywheel OR is jambed in the flywheel gears. You might want to remove the starter and compare it with the one from the 2000 spectra (in the Pick-a-Part yard) . They may look the same but the gears may be completely wrong.
You might also check with an auto parts store to see if the starters for the 98 Ssephia and the 2000 Spectra are "interchangable" in their parts books.
The wires getting HOT are telling me they DO NOT MATCH.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,921 Posts
And by all means CHECK THE STARTER problems BEFORE removing the transmission...It may only require you to change to a newer starter (like from the 2000 spectra) to get the car going again... If the gears from the starter match the gearing on the flywheel that's all that counts.
You never said IF that the engine ran BEFORE you had transmission problems. Was it running good after you rebuilt it or did you rebuild it at the same time you replaced the transmission? It could be the engine is "locked up".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
antistres...
You said "something there is not rotating the engine". Do you mean nothing on the engine shows signs of movement (like the belts/alternator/power steering pump pulley?).
1fastkia made me think that you may have just bolted the old starter to the bell housing of the "new" tranny and like I said before the gears DO NOT MATCH and the starter is either spinning and can't mesh with the gears on the flywheel OR is jambed in the flywheel gears. You might want to remove the starter and compare it with the one from the 2000 spectra (in the Pick-a-Part yard) . They may look the same but the gears may be completely wrong.
You might also check with an auto parts store to see if the starters for the 98 Ssephia and the 2000 Spectra are "interchangable" in their parts books.
The wires getting HOT are telling me they DO NOT MATCH.
Dave
Hey Dave,
Thank you for posting again and loosing the time with me. Actually thank you to all who tried to help me.
I really think that your post was the one that help me more then all the rest. I will try to do everything that you have told me in your post. I have actually a question. As I know and read and learn, the starter is trying to START THE ENGINE. So the starter is should be compatible with the engine. Right? I do not understand what the STARTER have to do with the transmission. Please try to explain this to me. It looks like you know more the most of the people from here.... NO OFFENSE TO THE REST !

PS: never buy a KIA !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And by all means CHECK THE STARTER problems BEFORE removing the transmission...It may only require you to change to a newer starter (like from the 2000 spectra) to get the car going again... If the gears from the starter match the gearing on the flywheel that's all that counts.
You never said IF that the engine ran BEFORE you had transmission problems. Was it running good after you rebuilt it or did you rebuild it at the same time you replaced the transmission? It could be the engine is "locked up".
After I rebuild the engine, I drove the car like 300-400 Miles. Then the O/D light started to flashing. The engine was working fine....

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
Hey Dave,
Thank you for posting again and loosing the time with me. Actually thank you to all who tried to help me.
I really think that your post was the one that help me more then all the rest. I will try to do everything that you have told me in your post. I have actually a question. As I know and read and learn, the starter is trying to START THE ENGINE. So the starter is should be compatible with the engine. Right? I do not understand what the STARTER have to do with the transmission. Please try to explain this to me. It looks like you know more the most of the people from here.... NO OFFENSE TO THE REST !
No offense taken - not very wise move to restrict the sources of useful information.
PS: never buy a KIA !
I don't think you'll find too much agreement around here.

BTW, just a tip - it would help Dave help you if you answered some of the question he posts.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
No offense taken - not very wise move to restrict the sources of useful information.

I don't think you'll find too much agreement around here.

BTW, just a tip - it would help Dave help you if you answered some of the question he posts.
Yea and as a 5 time (6 if I buy one tomorrow) kia owner, I do not in anway agree with your "don't buy a kia". All 5 so far have been the most reliable cars I have ever owned. That includes a lot of cars.

By all means if you are new to the site or Kia itself, don't listen to this poster. He bought the wrong transmission for his car and go him/herself into this mess.

Thats why if "your not positive you can do it right" or "know if the parts are exactly right" don' do the job till your 100% sure, or know your facts on the parts your buying. Don't get your infor from a parts yard.

·
Super Moderator
6,921 Posts
If I read you right the starter "moves" the engine (called cranking the engine) right?

What does the transmission have to do with the starter?....

The starter motor has a gear on the end of the armature.That gear must physically mesh with the gear ring on the outside of the flywheel to turn the motor over (crank it) along with spark, gas, compression this normally "starts" the engine. The torque converter (part of the automatic transmission) is bolted to the same flywheel and the transmission receives the energy from the running engine to drive (move) the car via the gears inside the transmission. If the transmission is bad it "could" cause drag on the flywheel and not allow the starter to spin (crank) the engine fast enough to get it running. This would also cause the "overheating" of the wires going to the starter as the starter would "draw" excessive current from the battery while "trying" to turn over both the engine (and the abnormally) dragging transmission that usually (if working correctly) would not load down the starter with this increased "drag".
That's what it has to do with the starter.

ps I'm NO better than anyone else on this forum and we ALL have ideas to share.
also.....I bought 2 KIAs and 1 of their cousins (a 2008 Hyundai Accent) and My family is VERY pleased with their reliability, handling, and value. A twelve year old car will have it's problems.
Years ago I remember reading about a guy that tried mounting an incorrect model automatic transmission with torque converter to an existing flywheel on his working engine. It "looked" like it mounted correctly when he bolted the two together... As it turned out the torque converter was just a "little" larger than the old one was and when the bolts were tightened the torque converter was jambed tightly against the bell housing making movement of the engine or transmission impossible.

You may have a similar problem that even the finest mechanic posting on this forum will be able to diagnose. Your selection of this transmission may or may not work on your rebuilt engine. You NEED to check the "interchangeability" book(s) at the bone yard to see if what you have will actually work in your model car...THEN...if the book says it should work... I would think you bought a tranny that was also bad along with the burned out engine you mentioned.
As suggested ...It sounds like you should pull apart the tranny from the engine...leaving only the flywheel,starter,bell housing. Then try starting the engine. If it runs there is an incompatibility problem OR a bad used transmission.
Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts