Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my kia will only blow on high and i cant adjust anywhen it is on it now only blows out cold. have notices under my glove box that only time the heat works is when these two wires touch that are all burnt up. how can i fix this please help getting cold for my daughter

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
You need to visit a local bone yard and purchase the burnt plug AND the FET Module (field effect transistor) that the plug plugs into. Cut off the burnt connector and splice the replacement connector onto the original wires...matching each color. Replace the module.
You now have repaired that problem...
Use ONLY 2007~2009 donor cars as the earlier years have a completely different HVAC system.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
No... On the 2006 and earlier Spectras there was a dropping resistor. On the 2007 and above the voltage "dropping" is handled by a high power FET that switches off and on very fast by a process called PWM (pulse width modulation). The 2006 had 4 fan speeds and the 2007 and above "could" have an unlimited number of variable speeds. The problem with the melting is cause by corrosion on the plugs internal contacts creating resistance and then the current drawn through the connector's resistance causes heat that melts the plastic plug... That's why you replace BOTH the plug and the FET ass'y to eliminate the resistance problem.
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts