Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was looking to add an aftermarket alarm to my 2008 Kia Sorento Ex, but I just cannot figure out what additional parts I will need (besides the alarm system). I am afraid I am going to have to pay a lot of extra money from the Best Buy guys, or Audio Express people.

Basically, I want to install either the Viper 3305v (alarm and Keyless), or the Viper 9704v (alarm, keyless, and remote start). When I use the Viper configurator tool, it says I will need an additional part:

Universal Transponder Anti-Theft Bypass (556UW)

So i looked this item up and i guess it has bad reviews due to it requiring an additional key for it to work.

So i guess my question is: is there an alternative item to this universal transponder, that does the same thing, but has better reviews, or is known to be a better item?

Also, is there anything else that I would need to install the alarm system?

Anyways, thank you for your help. Sorry I don't know a whole lot about cars or how these alarm or remote starts work.

Thanks.

- Byron

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
You will be cutting and splicing a fairly large amount of wires to install this. The bypass should only be needed for the remote start (looks at a chip in the key to make sure it's not being hotwired). So the "extra" key is so that it can pass that information onto the truck when you start it remotely.

Installing an alarm isn't like putting a new radio in. Read through the directions a couple times and make sure you can identify every wire you need to cut. Double check everything as you go along. If you're unsure about ANY of it, than it might be worth having a professional installer take care of it for you, rather than risk disabling your truck by splicing the wrong wires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts