Kia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento ex 2.0 gdi
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our only car shut off while driving on Wednesday. All lights on dash were still on, coasted into a parking lot and hasn’t turned on since. The battery was just changed early October, but we checked it and it’s still good. However, the terminals were loose after this happened, so my dad thinks I blew a fuse. Not sure, but we took the alternator out which was a big pain in the ass! Got that tested and it’s still good. Had to put it back in the car. Someone suggested the starter, but we hit it and tried starting it, still nothing. I should mention, about two weeks ago we had to replace the spark plugs due to a misfire in cylinder 3. Anyway- here is a video of the weird ass noises this car is making when we try to start it. Any help would be sooo appreciated! This is our only car, we’re second owners and the Kia dealership said warranty expired. We also still owe about 19,000 on it.
Video
(Didn’t know how else to add video, takes you to my YouTube)

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
890 Posts
Our only car shut off while driving on Wednesday. All lights on dash were still on, coasted into a parking lot and hasn’t turned on since. The battery was just changed early October, but we checked it and it’s still good. However, the terminals were loose after this happened, so my dad thinks I blew a fuse. Not sure, but we took the alternator out which was a big pain in the ass! Got that tested and it’s still good. Had to put it back in the car. Someone suggested the starter, but we hit it and tried starting it, still nothing. I should mention, about two weeks ago we had to replace the spark plugs due to a misfire in cylinder 3. Anyway- here is a video of the weird ass noises this car is making when we try to start it. Any help would be sooo appreciated! This is our only car, we’re second owners and the Kia dealership said warranty expired. We also still owe about 19,000 on it.
Video
(Didn’t know how else to add video, takes you to my YouTube)
You should look up the recalls for the engine failure issues - just Google Kia 4 cylinder engine failures and you'll get a ton of information. How many miles are on the car and do you have service records going back to day 1? While the engine replacement program is pretty robust, Kia is going deny claims from owners who cannot document the maintenance history. Also, do you know if the KSDS update was performed (supposedly to mitigate the engine failure issue)?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,114 Posts
Our only car shut off while driving on Wednesday.
What's the mileage?
What's the service history?
What oil change interval?
What oil used?
What oil filter used?

Put a wrench on the crankshaft bolt and see if the engine can be rotated by hand.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento ex 2.0 gdi
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mileage about 89000, well maintained second owner, have all records of maintenance. Oil and filter changed September 2021 synthetic. Always used the viscosity listed in the service manual, 5w30 I believe it is.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,290 Posts
I guess you'd have to have it checked to verify what its the actual problem or failure. Not turning over is not an engine problem which is all that maybe covered by a program. All the tests above relate to cranking, charging etc.

Take it to a reputable dealer and pay for the hour or whatever to identify the reason and go from there. Guessing right now it seems.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,290 Posts
On recall aspect. Kia dealers normally check for outstanding recalls and do them prior to selling used vehicles. Also register it in your name as new owners so you also get notifications. However the responsibility is on you to check both for outstanding recalls and that its registered to you as soon as you get it home. Assume nothing unless you at least verified with the dealer in advance. Just hope the engine didn't blow up on you and its one of dozens of posibilities.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Cadenza premium FWD
14 Posts
Mileage about 89000, well maintained second owner, have all records of maintenance. Oil and filter changed September 2021 synthetic. Always used the viscosity listed in the service manual, 5w30 I believe it is.
Contact Kia corporate also report to NHTSA they could have service other reports if people report it goes on their case log.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
890 Posts
I guess you'd have to have it checked to verify what its the actual problem or failure. Not turning over is not an engine problem which is all that maybe covered by a program. All the tests above relate to cranking, charging etc.
If it seized the engine or broke a rod, not turning over is certainly an engine problem. Easy way to check is to put a socket and breaker bar on the crank bolt and see if it will turn easily with the sparkplugs removed. Apparently the levels of destruction is this motor were varied and included a complete failure of the engine so that the starter bendix just bounced off the flywheel because it was locked in place by the frozen engine.

·
Registered
2015 Sedona SX-L
62 Posts
In the video, I don't hear any evidence of the starter trying to engage at all.. but it's hard to tell.

#1 rule out the battery (alternator won't affect starting). I read that you took both to get tested, if you're confident in the people/place that tested it, skip this step. Otherwise put a volt meter on the battery terminals, if you're seeing anything around 12.4+ volts (often even less than that) you should have the engine turning over, or at least be able to clearly hear that it's trying to. A fully charged battery should read 12.5-12.7 volts depending on temperature. A dead battery will have 12.0 volts or lower.

Some folks have brought up the seizing engine issue which is common with some 4 cylinder Hyundai / Kia engines (including yours), but they usually don't just die spontaneously without any noise or other signs of engine failure. Even if the engine was seized solid (doesn't seem likely to me), you should at the very least, hear the starter trying to turn it over which should be unmistakable. That being said, you can check for a seized engine by attempting to turn it over via the crankshaft bolt by hand. Use a 1-2 foot breaker bar with the appropriate socket on the crankshaft bolt and try to turn it. No need to remove spark plugs; even with the spark plugs in, with some effort, you should be able to get it to move. If it's seized solid, you can't mistake it, no amount of effort will move it in either direction. If you can move it even a small amount by hand, the starter can turn it that amount too, which means you should hear the starter. And the starter is what I'm not hearing in the video.

Which makes me believe it's something electrical, or possibly the starter. Check your fuses. If you can get to the starter you can jump that with jumper cables (negative battery terminal to engine ground, positive battery terminal to positive cable on starter). Be very careful when doing this and don't attempt it unless you have easy access to the large positive terminal on the starter. Do that just long enough to till you hear the starter engage to rule it out. If you can't get to the starter or you determine it's cranking, get it to the Kia dealer and have them connect a computer to it and see where the problem is, as you've basically ruled out all the easy DIY stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts