Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I ordered my Sorento XS, the showroom model had the tacky plastic walnut veneer on the dash. I personally did not like it but thought it was a small price to pay for an otherwise great looking car. I picked up my car yesterday and Kia have obviously read the feedback on the internet and replaced it with the brushed chrome look. What a pleasant surprise I got as it looks fantastic. Well done Kia for actually listening to your customers. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by Simeon@Dec 1 2004, 12:30 PM
When I ordered my Sorento XS, the showroom model had the tacky plastic walnut veneer on the dash. I personally did not like it but thought it was a small price to pay for an otherwise great looking car. I picked up my car yesterday and Kia have obviously read the feedback on the internet and replaced it with the brushed chrome look. What a pleasant surprise I got as it looks fantastic. Well done Kia for actually listening to your customers. :)
Hi!
I'm also not too happy with that fake wood veneer! Where did you buy your car? Maybe I could contact them and get my own aluminum dashboard :rolleyes: !!!

Also I would inform my Kia dealer about this info because they have never had any ideas about this even though I've asked them about it several times...

Does the aluminum cover the area between the front seats to?

//[email protected]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This car was bought in the UK and everywhere you see the walnut veneer is now brushed chrome. Its not a one off because the dealer had four others Sorentos waiting to be prepared for customers and they were all the same. It may be just a matter of time before a mod kit becomes available but believe me it looks absolutely awesome!

Laughing Smilie because I don't have walnut :lol:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For [email protected]

I remember what the guy at the dealership said now during the car handover.
"For some reason the car has'nt got the wood finish, I hope your happy with it!"
This leads me to believe that they were not aware of any change to the specification either and have not had any official documentation. Is your dealer able to contact Kia directly and ask them?

I bought it form Boongate Kia in Peterborough Cambridgeshire

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
OK! So the fake wood is not to everyone's taste but the style is universal and has been around for decades. The new stuff is very garish in my opinion and will mark easily. I wouldn't mind betting that it is not used on the new model when it arrives in 2007. My Dealer Principal has had to order the "wood" stuff for two new owners who had expected it to be in their cars when delivered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by Simeon@Dec 2 2004, 12:24 PM
For [email protected]

I remember what the guy at the dealership said now during the car handover.
"For some reason the car has'nt got the wood finish, I hope your happy with it!"
This leads me to believe that they were not aware of any change to the specification either and have not had any official documentation. Is your dealer able to contact Kia directly and ask them?

I bought it form Boongate Kia in Peterborough Cambridgeshire
Well I kind of live in Gothenburg, Sweden... ;) Anyway my local dealer will probably not make any attempts to contact the Kia agent of Sweden, however I have a pretty good contact with the owner of the swedish site www.ubbo.se, which sell new cars at a lower price (lower than swedish prices...) and they both have connections to Tomato-Anp in Germany as with Kia in Chorea.

I will try and ask them about it.

And please!!! You have to put in some pictures of your aluminum veneer!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Looks better!

Pity they didn't spread it onto the doors to, they've made them cheaper by looks of it?
Didn't they used to have fake wood with 'alloy' inserts?

Also is that a VDO stereo unit? Thought Kia had dropped VDO in favour of the JVC MP3 units????

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They have dropped the VDO stereo but one of the reasons I traded my freelander in for a Sorento was the boot size for my wet dog. The JVC unit cd changer is a twelve CD unit which has to be mounted int the boot which I was not prepared to accept, so I accepted the older six CD unit mounted under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Been at Kia UK's tech training centre today.
They have a few new Sorentos' there, with the 'chrome' bits, also the headlamps have dark surrounds, not chromed, which looks much meaner imho.. also the display car and the MD's car were both riding on 18" shadow chrome alloys.... very cool..

And the new sportage... I want one, not much smaller than Sorento, and lots of toys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Dec 7 2004, 09:36 PM
Been at Kia UK's tech training centre today.
They have a few new Sorentos' there, with the 'chrome' bits, also the headlamps have dark surrounds, not chromed, which looks much meaner imho.. also the display car and the MD's car were both riding on 18" shadow chrome alloys.... very cool..

And the new sportage... I want one, not much smaller than Sorento, and lots of toys.
What is "Kia UK's tech training centre"? Do they have a web page?

//[email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts