Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 2013 Black Cherry Kia Sportage AWD Turbo. I am going to begin my mods starting with Plasti-Dipping the Kia Rims Black. I have always loved the black on black look. The great thing about plasti dip, if you don't like it, you can always peel it off to reveal the original look of the rims. Here is a video on how its done. I shall have pictures soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwUuFUbulw8

·
Registered
2012 Kia Cee'd 5 door
101 Posts
PlastiDiped rims

I am thinking of doing this to my 17" stock rims, the car is red and black rims on a red car look nice (at least sometimes I think). I have some 16" rims on it now with winter tires but I am waiting till I put the 17"s back on so I can do them on the car. I have seen some problems develop, when the rims are done off the car, around the lugs.

·
Registered
2013 Sportage SX / 2010 Tucson AWD Limited
4 Posts
Hey everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 2013 Black Cherry Kia Sportage AWD Turbo. I am going to begin my mods starting with Plasti-Dipping the Kia Rims Black. I have always loved the black on black look. The great thing about plasti dip, if you don't like it, you can always peel it off to reveal the original look of the rims. Here is a video on how its done. I shall have pictures soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwUuFUbulw8
Looking fwd to seeing those pictures... Thinking about doing that project myself.

·
Registered
2013 Sportage SX / 2010 Tucson AWD Limited
4 Posts
Yeah, I think of it more like a temporary mod to see if you like the look. If it looks good I think the long term fix would be powder coating them...

·
Registered
2012 Kia Cee'd 5 door
101 Posts
PlastiDiped rims

if you yourself can peel these off doesn't that mean the weather can too?
Like most finishes the prep work is the important part; get the wheels clean and it will last some time and you can do touch-ups as necessary. One YouTube video shows it being washed with a pressure washer; others say it has lasted over a year no problem. I figure I will give it a try and see for myself.
When I first saw the whole Plasti-Dip rims/cars I thought what a silly idea some kid came up with. But in thinking a bit more I realized some other benifits besides the ability to color your car and wheels with the latest hair fashions. For winter it could help keep corrision down on the expensive aluminum rims, same for the bodywork too. And has been pointed out it is easily removed at any time.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage LX / 1992 Corvette Coupe LT1 / 2012 Toyota Camry SE
45 Posts
I did the plasti dip on my stock 17's about 1 year ago and its still looks great. I have only had to touch up a couple of times with a quick spray on the spot needed. The pictures are posted in this forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts