Kia Forum banner

Plasti Dip Rio5?

7K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  JayinMI 
#1 ·
So after countless thinking/pondering of what different things i can do with my rio5, I've decided to start with plasti dipping my hood and possibly my roof black and if i like it well enough i plan on plasti dipping the whole car a crazy color that no other rio would have :).

Comments and Opinions welcome!!!!

#7 ·
that vinyl wrap is not something you do yourself though unless you have experience the plasti dip is more for experimenting which is what i want to do cause for all i know i might not even like it honestly and you can peel it off whenever you want

#9 ·
i dont think that seeing one person with a bad experience should make people think the entire product is terrible like you cant pass judgement based off one car that you have seen ive actually seen a car fully plasti dipped in person and honestly for the 300$ he spent it wasnt bad it came out pretty good the things is you dont know how people treat there car that car couldnt have never been washed or could have been owned by someone who just beat the brick out of it idk just my two cents dont knock something until you try it

#10 ·
Your original post said Comments and opinions welcome, and yet you seem to be rejecting every opinion on here that says don't do it. Sounds like your mind was already made up. Hope it works out for you.

#13 · (Edited)
There is not just that one person who has had a bad run with Plasti-Dip; there are plenty out there that have had bad experiences with it when they have done larger projects (entire cars, panels and more). The most common problem people have with Plasti-Dip is clearcoat; it will eat it.

Every manufacturer uses different clear coat and paint. Some people will have problems with it and others wont. You wont know until you peel it off. If it does come up, you have 2 options. Continue re-applying plasti-dip or have your car resprayed.

Prep work is everything with stuff like this. If you cut corners with it you may end up paying for it in the long term. Vinyl wrap is more expensive but it has fewer risks compared to Plasti-dip. With today you pay for having peace of mind.

When Plasti-Dip first came out it was never intended for automotive use. Its a solvent based product and will react differently to whatever material its put on. Its not designed to last either. Its good for a few months but after that depending where you live it starts to peel off. Plasti dip doesnt last as long if its exposed to snow though. Vinyl is the same, they all react differently to snow and high heat. High heat they can fade and crack, in rare circumstances they bake onto their surface.

There are new alternatives to plasti-dip that have come out to work around Plasti-dips drawbacks but some arent available in the US.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.