Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all, anyone else having an issue with their Pizza Wheel face finish?

One if my wheels in ONE spot is having this issue without any wheel damage, I will be swinging by my dealer on the way home today.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So went to the dealer Salazar Kia and Jim the Service Manager said No Problem, we'll cover that under warranty, when do you want to have it fixed? I said... Fixed? A mobile wheel service will come out and repair it. So Friday, I am getting it fixed!

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX & 2002 Pontiac Firebird Formula
491 Posts
^ Very cool :)
Fortunately haven't noticed this on my wheels yet, although the car is so filthy right now I probably wouldn't notice. Maybe six weeks since the last wash :mellow:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wheel has been repaired and while I rejected the first "repaired" finish, the final looks good!

·
Registered
1983 RIV CONVERTIBLE, 2011 KIA OPTIMA SX, 2014 BUICK LACROSSE PREMIUM II
97 Posts
Can you share how it was repaired? Just polished or was a new finish applied? Or some other method? I have often wondered how wheels are repaired. I also have the johnny-lightning-pizza-cutter-manhole-cover-hot-wheels-bottle-cap-curb-grinder wheels. Mine are still as new after 18 months. I really like these wheels, especially in motion.

Is there any chance your wheel finish was damaged when your new tires were mounted, and they just continued to peel?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My understanding was that the guy cut down the original finish (probably by grinding) then, smoothed out, then repainted the face and associated areas, then the clear coats over the top with polishing. He was set up behind the sister dealership so I didn't see the work in progress, thou I would have liked to.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, I am back now with FOUR wheels with this issue, all with NO DAMAGE! - Took to dealer the other day, the same Service Manager looked at them and was like, Crap - Now I have to get KIA involved as they gave him crap for the single wheel (same wheel is now failing in another spot) repair and small amount the dealer had to pay. The KIA area rep was to be out last week, but I didn't hear anything to have him look them over. I will be following up, but this is BS and obvious poorly finished wheels. Now these are "early" Korean Pizza wheels so that could be part of the issue with quality and hope they have improved since. More pics to post soon.

I went back to the dealer so they could see how bad it has gotten before I wash the car now and I am in need of a tire rotation. Service Manager was surprised how much worse they are now and took new photos. He is contacting KIA today and pushing for resolution.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Aluminum alloy wheels...brushed, then covered with clearcoat.
A small chip and just a little moisture gets under the clearcoat and it peels.
VERY common on all manufactor's wheels.. When you see it beginning to happen wipe the area with a clean cloth and a "small" amount of window cleaner (on the cloth)...then spray a couple of light coats of clear coat...let them dry....and when hard.. wax the surface...
They require upkeep as they are truely down in the stones..
The "repaired" wheels will need work in the months ahead..
Dave

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate the feedback, but being that there are many SX owners with these wheels and on this and "the other" board aren't reporting this, seems to be a bad batch IMHO and hopefully KIA's too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Back in my younger days I had a friend with a very hot (for the times...) 1979 Trans Am with the 'snowflake' wheels. He was painting his car, and wanted the wheels appropriately matched. With access to a nice shop, he sandblasted (or bead blasted, can't remember) the wheels and then painted them with metallic silver Imron paint (nasty hard to handle stuff, made for airplanes I think). That turned out really good, and that paint was tough! It lasted through several years of Michigan roads (think third world minus...) and still looked great. You might look into having the wheels stripped appropriately and then painted with a more robust coating. I suspect coating adhesion is more of a problem on a smooth/polished surface than a more textured e.g. beadblasted surface. The least pinhole lets moisture and contaminents under, and then the coating peels, so a touch coating is required. Airplane paint probably qualifies <g>.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
I've had a few sets of alloy wheels over the last 20 years or so. None showed any surface problems or damage from tyre replacement. They were dull silver finish and I was surprised to learn that there was some sort of clear-coat. I guess you have to have a surface protection, otherwise the alloy will corrode under some conditions.

Only one of my cars has alloys these days. I'm actually over alloys; the Cerato has 15" steel wheels, and these come with plain silver plastic trims which aren't too ugly. They are easy to cure of "kerb rash" with a little sanding and silver spray (provided you get the right colour).

One disadvantage of alloys is that they allow water splashes onto the brake rotors when the car is left standing, and this can lead to unsightly rust. It's also worth checking replacement cost; you will want to park at least a foot away from the kerb!

·
Registered
1983 RIV CONVERTIBLE, 2011 KIA OPTIMA SX, 2014 BUICK LACROSSE PREMIUM II
97 Posts
Are you the only one having this problem?

I am two years with my pizza wheels in Utah with heavy snow, salted roads and hot summers. My wheels aren't doing this....yet. Has anyone else had this problem with their pizza wheels? Has your dealer said if anyone else has had this problem in your area? Could it truly be limited to a bad lot?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update - so the Service manager has advised that KIA will have all 4 repaired (refinished) by a local specialty shop vs. replacement. The replacement would most likely have a repeat issue again as KIA is seeing this happen more now. KIA is providing me a rental as well while the dealer has my car parked on their lift.
- As to others, yes I have another PHX area owner that contacted me with same issue and ironically, my Service Manager is now having it happen on their Sport wheels....

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
Also be carefull of what your cleaning your wheels with.

PS: I love those wheel. I think they are the best looking OEM wheels, other than BMW, and such...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't used any wheel cleaner chemicals on these wheels, I just regular car wash solution and soft mitts.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KIA is doing all this under warranty for failing finish and this is the shop doing it, so I'll have to advise how they come out and hold up. Kwicksilver Wheel Repair – Rim Repair & Alloy Wheel Repair Franchise

I have an Enterprise rental 2013 Optima LX, WOW, what a difference between mine and the LX. Guess i'm spoiled but the LX certainly doesn't have the same feel or the obvious power. Should get it back today, crossing fingers they look great!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK so the saga isn't over yet.... I go to pick up the car at the dealer and there is a MATTE FINISH on the wheels!! - WTF?
Sooooo the story is that since we are having such weird weather in Phoenix (It snowed in areas down here today!) that the final clear coat needs to be applied to the wheels with the tires mounted but with it being in the upper 40's (between heavy showers) it wasn't warm enough. So NEXT week, the final coat will be applied. I am not buying this story and am willing to play along, but highly doubt this clear coat will save the day.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX & 2002 Pontiac Firebird Formula
491 Posts
Oh Snap, unbelievable that it is too cold in Pheonix for anything right :). 35 degrees in Santa Clarita, CA now, burrr :). I do believe them but only in so much as they would have said nothing had you accepted them as is. On another note, if memory serves we have the same build date (Dec 2010), and my pizza wheels have not exhibited this. We've been though some of the other common problems, but not this one. It is just interesting to me that KIA would just not provide 4 new wheels, except for the fact that what? they haven't made them for a long time and don't intend to make any more? Not sure what, why the whole refurish process :confused:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KIA area rep explained to the dealer, replacement would potentially do this again ... so let a professional take their time and do it right vs. a mass produced production line. So we'll see for sure....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts