Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Carnival 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got the heads off the 'Lovely Green Carnival' with the KIA replacement smokey motor with no compression and trailing blue haze... result is burnt out piston on number 1. Does anyone know if I can replace this sucker without removing the Donk? Liners are still proud of the block. Remaining cylinders seem to be still running OK. Maybe it's due to the gas conversion, maybe it's the fact that the engine could have overheated, or perhaps it's due to our low grade Aussie fuel? :p

What to do next?

Attachments

·
Registered
KIA Carnival 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anyone seen this kind of problem before? Reckon I can pull the block out through the top, but is this possible? Will the sump/oilpan come off easily with the block insitu??

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,763 Posts
I can't help with your question, but had a chuckle at the thread title - reminds me of what the drunk said, pissed n' broke.

·
Registered
KIA's 2000 Carnival, 2008 Magentis, 2005 Optima
559 Posts
The recommended way of removing the motor is with the trans attached and dropping the subframe.
The piston and liner should be replaced as an assembly, they knock out from bottom to top. The sump can be removed in the car, relatively easily and even easier now that you already have the exhaust junction pipe removed.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
sure you can.
Drop the oil pan, make sure all metal particles were removed/cleaned, push the piston up. It will slide out. Of course you need to play with crankshaft to get access to each cylinder.

Get a new one, new rings (and here is the catcher). Adjust the rings (I hope you have done it before!!) and you should be all done.
Of course assuming rest is OK.

The catcher - it is not a good idea to change rings on one piston only. All of them should be changed.
Next, all pistons should be same weight!! (within some specs - see kia tech info)

So, overall - can be done, not easy task without removing lots of parts, but possible.

Disclaimer - this is my guess only, based on experience with other engines, where I had enough room to do such repair (not that I have done it this way, because I wanted to change the crankshaft as well - and other stuff...)

·
Registered
Kia Carnival
24 Posts
To remove the piston on these engines you need the sump off,bearing ladder off,starter ring gear off,rear main oil seal off otherwise you will damage a lot of things.This engine was designed poorly.It`s a really challange working on this engine.Not too many short cuts.I enjoy working on it though.It cant be done in 5 minutes.To make matters worse the liner might be stuck which will require a lot of ding dung with a hammer and blund flat rod.The piston comes out with the liner.Unless one is a mechanic who knows how to make shift things you have a lot to pull apart.

·
Registered
Kia Carnival
24 Posts
The actual sequence to remove the sump is
1)remove the starter ring gear or fly wheel by removing the flywheel bolts
2)remove the 5 Rear Main Oil Seal bolts
3)remove the two remaining small bolts which bolt the sump
4)remove the small sump bolts and remove it.
5)remove the main sump bolts and knock on the side to loosen it
6)remove the sump
7)now the bearing ladder might be removed if there is need to
8)loosen your big-end bolts and remove your cap taking note of sides
9)if you have a long flat blund rod try knocking the liner from sump side down
to cylinder head side.If the liner is not stuck take a glass of water or wine
and celebrate otherwise you will end up removing the bearing ladder to get more room for hitting or knocking the liner out.The pistons on these engine only come out with the liner(how bad)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts