Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a black 2005 Sorento EX with the LUX package, and wanted to post about my findings regarding getting aftermarket nav systems installed. I'm in Chicago, and after calling around, really only tracked down a couple of units available for purchase and installation at some local shops (unlike you guys, I'm not a do-it-yourselfer): Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer and Alpine. I narrowed it down to one of the Pioneer units, either the AVIC-N2 or the AVIC-D1.

Basically, I nixed the N2 because: 1) you would have to remove the navigation disc each time you wanted to play a disc; 2) I didn't want to pay for having a DVD drive I would never use; 3) I didn't want to have to worry about the motorized screen eventually wearing out; 4) the installers said they would expect the AVIC-N2 to be stolen before the D1 even with the removable face plate off; and 5) the N2 is a single din unit, and although the Sorento has just under a double-din space, I wanted to maximize the unit and have it look facotry-installed (like in the Lexus RX-330 I had just sold).

So, I went with the AVIC-D1. A few things about this unit and what I've learned:

1) The AVIC-D1 looks amazing. It looks like the Sorento came with it, and does NOT look like an aftermarket unit. Also, the installer was able to remove the Sorento's stereo (which he said he was surprised had GM parts) and install the AVIC-D1 without cutting into the dash or otherwise modifying the Sorento. So, if for any reason I decide to switch cars, I can have the AVIC-D1 uninstalled and put the old stereo back in without any problems. He said he did have to file down some parts within the dash, but that it won't make any difference. I have no complaints about the navigation unit, except that you do have to push on the screen a little harder than I expected.

2) Keep in mind that installing either the D1 or the N2 unit may disable the power/track/volume buttons on the side of your steering column. The installers (Tweeter) said that there was a piece I could buy and have them install that might bring functionality back to the buttons, but that it's got a 50-50 shot at working. I decided to just get the Pioneer remote control ($39) that straps onto the steering wheel.

3) Oddly, the volume buttons are seperate up and down buttons, while the change track/station control is a knob that you can push four ways, or directly in. It seems a little awkward at first for controlling audio functions, but I've gotten used to it now and don't mind.

HOWEVER, there is one things to keep in mind if you have an ipod. I got the Pioneer ipod adapter that is hooked up to the D1, and it is a nightmare because each time you want to go to an artist, say, U2, you have to press the down button once for each artist before U2. And you always start at A. So, if you have 200 artists, like I do, getting to U is nearly impossible while driving. There is no real "scrolling" function, and holding down the down button does nothing. Also, the adapter diables your ipod, so you can't use the scroll wheel on the ipod itself. The only way around this is to unplug your ipod each time you want to change to another artist/genre/album, scroll through on the ipod, and then plug it back in again. A complete pain. The only benefit to the adapter is that it charges your ipod, and gives a great audio connection to your stereo. However, it doesn't show song titles like it's supposed to, and only shows the first 8 characters of a genre, album or artist (i.e., it only shows "Michael," not "Michael Jackson"). So, I would NOT recommend the $100 + installation costs for this adapter. Better to wait until the next version comes out, or wait for a Pioneer unit from Neo iON or Denison Ice Link to come out. Neo should have one out within the next two months (per their customer service employee I spoke with).

4) Regarding the rear-view camera, I ran into a slight problem because based on the fact that the trunk latch is directly above the license plate, and light bulbs are just to the left and right on top of the license plate, they had to mount the cam off-center, which you do notice when using it to back up. Not a horrible problem, but good to keep in mind.

5) While I didn't get it, the D1 (and N2) are set up for XM or Siruis. You can either get the radio unit installed behind the dash for around $100 (plus a complicated install and $13/month subscription), and/or get the XM traffic hook up for around $300 (plus install and an additional $10/month(?) subscription). I didn't get either of these functions, but if I drove more, I might consider it.

Anyway, overall I highly recommend the D1 and love the way it looks. Now, if only I could find a good ipod solution. Now that I've sorted the brains of my Sorento out, now I'll start making it look pretty (i.e., removing rear labels and switching the grille/wheel emblems). Glad to have found this site!

·
Registered
116 Posts
do you have any pics? im deciding between the avic-d1 and the kenwood ddx8017. im leaning towards teh kenwood..cause dension has a piece for it and also its easier to ground and enable all teh features while driving. i wnat to be able to use teh nav while driving. make on the go routes..and etc. thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may be wrong, but I thought the Kenwood system had a separate screen and a separate nav unit. I liked the idea of simplifying it into one piece. There was some other reason I wasn't keen on the Kenwood unit, but I can't recall now. However, if you can "fix" the Kenwood nav system to let you navigate on the road, that's probably the way to go. I believe you used to be able to do that with the Pioneer systems, but they've found a way to close that out. Also, it would probably be easier to find a good ipod hook-up right now if you avoid the Pioneer unit.

The photos aren't very good (just took them with my camera phone), but it'll give you the idea:
[attachmentid=620]
[attachmentid=621]

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll break it down in case you don't want all the components I got:

$1347.00 AVICD-1 (+ $240 installation)
$225.00 Back-up Cam (+ $125 installation)
$100.00 Ipod Adapter (+ $60 installation)
$130 (materials/components/Hyundai wire harness)

Granted, my installation was a little more because I have the EX with the LUX package, which includes a factory amp. They said if I hadn't had the amp it would have been a lot quicker and less expensive, around $149 for installation (they had to remove the seat to get to the amp).

I decided to go with a local (versus online) company, Tweeter, and bought all the components from them and the installation. Tweeter's price for the AVICD-1 was a little higher than another well-known electronics store here, but they matched the price. Also, they offered a 3 year warranty for $89, or 5 years for $160.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's really not that bad....I have the amp too....

If I traveled more I would get a set-up like that....that really looks good in your Sorento.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
the kenwood has more for the money i think. it does have the sep nav unit tho. also its easier to ground tho. i was in love with the avic-d1..till i heard how safe it is. im surprised pioneer lets you change the radio stations while driving.

what did they have to do with the amp? also... does it sound louder? did you get a new amp or just replaced the stereo?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I didn't look too closely into which units the safety features could be disabled on. I had a Lexus factory-installed nav system for the past two years, and I guess I got used to that infuriating disabling of the nav system input while driving. Also, I wasn't sure that I could find someone that would "rig" it for me. Liability and all that, you know? However, I think that they did bypass some part of the D1, because I get an error message when I start the car saying that the parking brake lead isn't attached to the nav system properly. I asked the installer about it, and I think he said that if you connect the parking brake lead it disables even more features when the brake isn't engaged. I'm not unhappy with the D1, but it sure would be nice if even the higher level functions weren't disabled while in motion. Why can't they at least rig the sensor to the passenger seat (which detects an occupant for air bag purposes already) and allow navigation while driving when you have a passenger? It's ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is the fact that they don't trust us to use the nav system while I'm driving, but they do expect us to hit the down button on the stereo 120 times to get to an artist while driving. Ok, I'll stop ranting now.

I'm not sure what they did exactly, but I do know that in the end they were able to wire the D1 to the amp. The installer said he took the time and effort to remove the seat to get to it, because the sound from the stereo would be MUCH better if wired to the factory amp. Apparently that was the most time-consuming part of the installation. As for the stereo, the D1 replaced it completely.

·
Registered
116 Posts
yea. its all those safety things and the bad ipod adapter that turned me off. dension told me like 3-4 months ago, they r making an ipod adapter that should be out in '2 months" AND its still not! anyway thanks for the info

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey, chikiago --

What do you mean when you say a "good iPod solution"? :) Do you want as much integration as possible, or are you okay with a simple in-line, navigate using the iPod solution? That's what I have, I just made sure to mount the iPod high on my dash (right next to the stereo), so in the event I do fiddle with it while driving (which I don't do too often, usually just to skip tracks), I'm not a danger to pedestrians. :grin:

There are a lot of good ideas on how to install on ilounge.com, there's a thread there in one of the forums about different in-car solutions, from super basic to super integrated. Lots of pictures too, you might want to check it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts