Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento V6 AWD LX (certified preowned KIA)
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up a certified 2013 LX V6 soon.
When I did the testdrive, I noticed
1) the plastic around the chairs are low-class,
2) there is some tire/road noise even at flat paved road (not all meeting the expectation of 'quiet cabin', but acceptable)
3) shift stick is a bit too flexible --- easily goes from D to N.

I suppose none of these are worth much concern ?

I read about shift stick stuck in P and stock tire issues. Is there anything particular I should check for ? I suppose for a certified, I can just sit back and relax ?

Since it is a used vehicle, I understand many things should be as is. However, anything the KIA certified (verified in CarFax) entitles the car to, besides the warranty coverage? (e.g., if broken plastic is found around chair... if plastic noise shows up in dashboard ---- these are covered even just with the warranty, for non-certified as well? )

Thanks.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
CPO gives you some assurance that you're not buying a "dog". Minor issues should be covered by warranty. I'd only be concerned about the apparently wobbly gear-shift. Is it bad enough to move about by itself?

This is what I found:

•10-year / 100,000-mile Certified Pre-Owned Limited Powertrain Warranty
•Roadside Assistance
•Travel Breakdown Coverage
•150-Point Quality Assurance Inspection
•CARFAX® Vehicle History Report on eligible vehicles

Check for any requirement to maintain the car at the dealer, possibly at inflated prices. This can be the catch with extended warranties and other "deals".

I wouldn't be too impressed with "150 Point Inspections"; The numbers add up fairly quickly as you take a look. Remember, it's a look, not a fix. Maybe I'm cynical.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I read those Kia certified info too and also thought about this: well, good to have 150 point check, but they never showed me the result before the contract, and it sounds like the needed maintenance identified in the check is not guaranteed to be free anyways. (Actually, I saw that the 150-point included the fabric tear, and yet the manager said he would fix a hole in the seat fabric, as a courtesy/discount.)

Besides the 10yr/100kmile powertrain and 5yr bumper-to-bumper should only require regular oil change done anywhere, if I understand correctly. Will double check contract, but I think that is global with Kia certified.

Am I entitled to have access to everything mentioned in the certified program before paying the rest beyond the deposit(500usd) ? For example, if the 150point check says that the brakes need change (even at <15k miles), shall I expect to get that for free?

The dealership here has good reviews and I feel they are among the best possible, as a car dealer. Still, I would like to build my defense, given previous disaster with a smaller dealer with bad names....

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

P.S.
The stick is OK when driving and only shifted from D to N when I left a bag between the two front seats and it pushed the stick unexpectedly. Still, it feels much looser than anything else I drove.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 10yr/100kmile powertrain and 5yr bumper-to-bumper only require regular oil change done anywhere with KIA filters. Warranty OK with any Kia dealer nationwide.

150pt check is 'roughly' done. Not guaranteed that non-safety-related minor issues are all fixed.

Things went pretty smoothly overall.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
15k. local mpg seems to be ~13, which i suppose is normal ?

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
V6 AWD? You are going by the meter on the dash? How much gas is in the tank when it shows 13?
The worst I've ever been able to do has been about 17mpg. That included several hours of being stuck in bumper-to-bumper stop and go traffic on a hot summer day on the NJ Turnpike. Typical around town mileage has been 19-20 and highway has been 25-26. The best mileage I've seen has been a bit north of 28mpg on a long highway run.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine is V6 AWD. Tried some highway, was at 24 mpg. All numbers read from the mpg est on dashboard. Fuel was about 80% full.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts