Kia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really enjoying it so far... We had an 06 Rav that I bought about 9 months ago used with 84k. It was a quick trade from my 05 BMW 325i but my son was born and we have a 6 year old so a family of four would be getting a little cramped. It's funny though as over the next 18k miles I discovered that JD Power and Assoc most reliable SUV (Rav4) was using over 2 quarts of oil in 3k miles which apparently was a common problem on the 2.4L engines due to bad pistons/rings. At about 88k mi the transmission started slipping badly in overdrive and flushing the fluids would only band-aid the problem for a few months. It did get good fuel mileage and was a nice looking car but too many serious problems showing up under 100k. So we moved onto the Kia. Ours has a 3rd row and a V6 as I wanted to be able to pull our boat with it and we actually had a nice surprise when it showed up with a tow package on it as well. It was a dealer trade so we only knew the major specifics of it like color, V6, and 3rd row. I would have liked to have had the convenience package but it wasn't readily available on an LX.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Nice choice! Hopefully it treats you better than the Toyota!

I too find it funny that the 'most reliable cars' are the ones with the most recalls. Funny how that works.

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
Congrats on your new Sorento and best of luck, I have 8,800 miles so far on my 2013 and just went through a blizzard and another major snowstorm here in Boston with zero issues..even with my stock oem Kumho's she went through the snow great! Felt the ABS coming down a big grade this morning and it was pumping the brakes far faster than I could...:)

Welcome to the Kia Forum!..

·
Registered
04 Frontier V6 4WD; 2011 Sorento LX I-4, 6 spd auto AWD, Titanium, 3rd seat and PKG#1
220 Posts
Looks like our '11 which we've had over 3 yrs and 35,000 mi with almost no trouble. Happy motoring!!

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
We're pleased with our 2013 Sorento, and the 4 cylinder meets our needs well.
.even with my stock oem Kumho's she went through the snow great! Felt the ABS coming down a big grade this morning and it was pumping the brakes far faster than I could...
Expect the Kumho Solus KL21 tires to be poor on snow the second year after the sharp edges are worn off the tread blocks--just before winter would be a good time to rotate the tires so they are on opposite sides of the car to get sharp tread edges on the snow, not every oil change the way Kia wants. The fact that the ABS was doing its job is due to the tires slipping. Real snow tires will rarely activate the ABS because they rarely slip.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX
52 Posts
I picked up my '13 lx 2 weeks ago, 2.4GDI , uvo,it is in Snowy White Pearl and dealer added leather. Since then i have done a few things to get it the way i want it. Did side window tint, a new product from Llumar, it has a ceramic inbedded in it for greater reduction in heat transfer. Added a cargo net, rear cargo tray, rear under deck organizer, Did some metallic silver pinstripes, a spoiler from Car Id, I found the paint to be a little rough, so clay barred the whole vehicle, and did a Mothers Carnuba wax job, paint is now smooth as glass and looks awesome out in the sun with slight pearl that is in the paint. Next will be to remove all badging and K emblems in place of stock KIA ones. After that will be the silve skid plates, to set off the outside
Now if i could just figure out the in's and out's of the UVO system, phone pairs great, streams music from Spotify via bluetooth great. Cant figure out how to load some music from Ipod to jukebox, or how to get text messages through the system either.:confused:

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Now if i could just figure out the in's and out's of the UVO system, phone pairs great, streams music from Spotify via bluetooth great. Cant figure out how to load some music from Ipod to jukebox, or how to get text messages through the system either.:confused:
I agree that the UVO system is a bit clunky. TXT integration only works with Windows Mobile phones (which is rather idiotic since those represent low single digit percentage of mobile users globally).

Best,

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
I agree that the UVO system is a bit clunky. TXT integration only works with Windows Mobile phones (which is rather idiotic since those represent low single digit percentage of mobile users globally).

Best,
This is beyond confusing considering their new UVO system only works on iphone 4's at the moment with iphone 5 and Android support coming later this year. :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did want the UVO system at first but I suspected there might be issue like the ones you guys are talking about. That is what happens when money talks and Microsoft puts down a lot of funds to get their products in play. So far I'm very happy with the basic CD/MP3/Bluetooth system. It sounds better than most stock systems and the bluetooth works great for Spotify which is mostly all we listen to anyway. The only annoying thing that I've found is that I have to hit the Aux button twice... once to switch to that mode for bluetooth and again after the phone is connected the my S3 in order to actually hear the music playing... it will go from saying "Connected" after hitting the AUX button to "MP3 Play" and then I'll hear the music.

I am however glad that I went with the V6. It does have plenty of power to spare and I know I'll feel a lot more comfortable pulling our boat with it than I would have with the 2.4.

And, ours has these pinstripes on it that I want to take off. Does anyone know the best way of removing pinstripes without hurting the paint? These are like a yellow color and give it that "old guy" look. lol

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Leave it up to Microsoft to screw up yet another in-car based communications system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.