Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just picked up an 02 , while driving on the freeway I hear a whine, it only has 70k miles , I can't imagine a pinion bearing going out, wheel,bearing? Rear brakes?, can't hear it at low speeds in town.
It has the auto, I bought it for the daughter as a college car. What are some common problems I should be aware of, how is that 2.0L?
How expensive are parts for it?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

Without knowing the prior history of the Sporty, this is just a complete guess on my part, but the Sporty's are known for front wheel bearings needing attention, that would be one area to check.

You mention the Sporty is an automatic: if the condition of the transmission fluid is (unknown), then a fluid change may be in order,

re: rear brakes: again, without knowing any maintenance history of the Sporty, a general check of all brakes would be advisable,

re: how is the 2.0 Liter - it's a good motor, provided it is maintained properly, meaning clean air, clean fuel, and good spark are present.. (Basic Tune-up items, air filter, fuel filter, NGK spark plugs, gapped at .038" .. )

The 2.0 Liter Sporty motors run a little hotter vs. other motors, due to the gearing on the Sportage, so it is important that the coolant system is properly maintained: if the coolant looks 'dull' or at all suspect, recommend draining and replacing w/ fresh 50/50 coolant mix..

*Checking the coolant level in the overflow tank to make sure coolant is at the (min) mark is highly recommended.

--
Again, above are general recommendations, not related to the noise issue currently - would have that investigated / the brakes checked sooner, vs. later.

Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 3 of 3 Posts