Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hallo, i have i pica 2004 automatic with 115000km , last days when i start up when is cold (in morning) the engine makes a ticking sound for 1 min only then stops. Sound likes valve ticking, not all cylinders, probably only the first.
I change oil and filter, i adjust valves , pull out rocket arms for inspection, change sparks and cables. , also messure oil pump pressure.
everything is clear , this sound stops after 1 minute so i cant hear it in next start up . could somebody give me his opionion or idea of what i can do? im trying to fix problem before damage (?) be bigger ---its my daily super car!!!

sorry for bad english

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I'm going to guess that your Picanto has what they call "Mechanical Lash Adjusters" or MLAs in the valvetrain. These could also be called bucket style mechanical lifters. Many Hyundai and Kia engines use this design. Mechanical lifters must be built with a small gap between the valve and the bucket that is known as "lash". This lash is required in order to compensate for metal expansion when the engine heats up to operating temperature. That is why the noise is present when the engine is cold. Once the engine warms up, the metal expands, and the pounding (the noise you hear) caused by the gap is no longer present. Some engine designs (such as the Tau V8 and Nu I4, when speaking of Hyundai and Kia engines) incorporate "Hydraulic lash adjusters", which instead use oil pressure to automatically adjust valve lash. I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with your car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dear GregsKia thanks for quick answer. my problem is that this noise is lound and starts few days ago. sounds like valves as i said but is not so "sharp" ,i think its not MLA sound because sounds from the 1st cylinder (only?). also obd check is ok . engine runs smoothly and powerfull!

please any other idea?
thanks for hospitality

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I see, it just started a few days ago. Could it possibly an injector going bad? Worn valve guide? What viscosity of oil did you use? If it only lasts a little bit after start up, it must go away because something expands. Does it do it after starting when the engine is warm? Since I am not very familiar with the Picanto, does it maybe have hydraulic lash adjusters (HLAs)? Maybe an HLA is sticking when cold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hallo GregsKia, picanto my2004 1.1 has mechanical valve adjustemt 20-25 cold. sound comes only first cold startup .After 1 minutes nothing sounds. at warm start up its ok!!!
engine oil is original kia (10w40 i think) About injector how i can see if it work correctly?
valve guide is ckecked and valves working smoothly (no stucks) also sparks (original too) are new. One idea its piston pin (!!!!), i dont know how its hear to you captain?

thanks stuck on laptop lcd for your answer

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
10W40 is pretty thick oil. Especially if it is cold outside, it could be taking it a minute to fully lubricate the valvetrain, but if the noise you hear is only on one cylinder, I doubt it has anything to do with the oil viscosity. I am from the US, so I am not familiar with the Picanto 1.1L engine, nor can I pull up service manuals for it on my website. It could be a piston pin. Does it sound like it's coming from the upper or lower part of the engine? It could be a crankshaft thrust bearing going bad, usually you will only hear noticeable noise at cold start-up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
noise come from cylinderhead not from crankshaft, if it is bearing sound then a scream sound comes out all the time......maybe something expands as you said 2 replies before but what ?????????? if its piston pin it will scratch inner cyclinder?
thanks

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If it's a piston pin, the noise would be coming from the cylinder block, not the head. Yes, I'm sure that whatever the noise is becomes quiet as the metal in the engine expands. You could try to check the injectors? You said the noise comes from cylinder one. So switch injectors from cylinder one and cylinder four, and see if the noise changes to cylinder four. Otherwise, take no action, but closely monitor the noise to make sure it doesn't get worse. I can't think of anything else it could be if the engine runs fine, but the noise is only temporary. A noisy injector might still work fine, but could be close to failure if it makes excessive noise. It doesn't seem likely to me, but if you have checked everything else, it's the only thing left I can think to check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hallo GregsKia, today its bigday. i pull out four injectors and send them for supersonic cleaning and messuring. Everything its ok like "new" i fit them in deferent possition (1 cyl to 4....). Start engine and imagine.... sound starts again . Finaly the problem is from 2cyl. when engine run and i unplug the injector cable the sound go away. if i plug it sound comes again until engine warm up. Im going crazy with this problem. Any other idea please! That ever you think its very usefull.

thanks to all of you

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If the noise goes away when you unplug the injector, I would think the injector is to blame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts