Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I currently own a 2004 Kia Picanto 1.1LX Auto enjoying the car a great deal.

I have noticed in the UK User manual that there are options for the following listed.

1) DRL Day running lights
2) Seatbelt reminder chime
3) Overspeed Warning chime

The question is has anyone got these features on there Picantos or does anyone know how to activate them?

The first and second option should be handy the third debatable in a 1.1 :D

I have noticed in the user guide on the fuse box page for the engine compartment
there is a missing fuse for the DRL Lights I wonder if a fuse was added this would enable the first feature? The rest i am not so sure.

Any experts out there :thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have no idea what (1) is but (2) and (3) can be hooked up by any electrician. it's like a half-hour job! :D

[afternote] i hadn't noticed that you were from the UK, and I'm not sure if it's available where you live. sorry, had wrongly assumed that only folks from SE Asia drive the Lx. ooops.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Have to look into it.
I'd say yes to DRlL's, and almost certainly yes to the seatbelt chime, as you already have the warning light for that.
Overspeed may require some addtional hardware though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies so far.

DRL's are Day Running Lights

They are law in some EU Countrys its where the front lights power on at dipped beam at a reduced level the rear lights stay off.

Its so you can be noticed more easily from the front off the car as you approach
they power on automatically when you turn the key.

I beleive they will be law in the UK very soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check the required fuse rating in the user manual and temporarily swap one over to the empty DRL position and see what happens. Worth a try ! :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ah... thanks Tabby. So there are like the parking lights, except they need to go on whenever you start the car. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I guess (3) is like some Japanese commercial vehicles which I have seen... there is a chime that sounds whenever you exceed a certain preset speed limit.

It can even be logged, how many times and at what time the thing goes off. So companies can see if their workers have been speeding when doing deliveries.

My best <_< guess.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
There is an option for heated front seats too... good in colder countries. it goes in the little tray next to the lighter and in front of the cup holders. :D

Am i right in thinking that DRL's are like volvo headlights? If they become compulsory doesnt that mean more bulb changing, when the expire :(

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by completechimp@Jun 14 2005, 05:17 PM
Am i right in thinking that DRL's are like volvo headlights? If they become compulsory doesnt that mean more bulb changing, when the expire :(

Mike
Correct, the only way they will become compulsory in the UK is when car manufacturers (Like Volvo) put them on all cars as a penny pinching excersise. Or globalisation as it's sometimes known. :)
There has been recent research which shows DRLs make roads more dangerous, so they are not as popular or as good as Volvo say they are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts