Kia Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Picanto GT 2020
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
i have now cleaned everything and will try it on tomorrow :) but i doubt this cleaning and lubrikating will fix the problem. Semes to easy...

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,379 Posts
That cover you show is also the throttle body's TPS(throttle position sensor) and a main control to the computers function and rpm control. It may be malfunctioning and only fix is replacement with a new one.
Has the MIL/CEL warning light in the instrument cluster been illuminated while driving the car?

·
Registered
Kia Picanto GT 2020
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That cover you show is also the throttle body's TPS(throttle position sensor) and a main control to the computers function and rpm control. It may be malfunctioning and only fix is replacement with a new one.
Has the MIL/CEL warning light in the instrument cluster been illuminated while driving the car?

okok no fault lights have bin showing. I have had the car connected to a computer as well and no fault codes are showing

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The TPS is a rheostat type sensor and the contacts of it can malfunction. It take a analog ohm meter(for accuracy) to test the "sweep" of it's movement, which should show an uninterrupted ohms resistance meter sweep as the TPS is turned from idle to full throttle position. There is also a similar sensor on the gas pedal that could be acting up and not telling the throttle body to "return to idle" quickly enough for your shifting RPM concern.
I have no experience with your cars exact system layout, just good experience with THEORY of this systems operation as it is used in many automobiles today.

Reactions: Rille2005

·
Registered
Kia Picanto GT 2020
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The TPS is a rheostat type sensor and the contacts of it can malfunction. It take a analog ohm meter(for accuracy) to test the "sweep" of it's movement, which should show an uninterrupted ohms resistance meter sweep as the TPS is turned from idle to full throttle position. There is also a similar sensor on the gas pedal that could be acting up and not telling the throttle body to "return to idle" quickly enough for your shifting RPM concern.
I have no experience with your cars exact system layout, just good experience with THEORY of this systems operation as it is used in many automobiles today.

but is not this the TPS and not the lid i have a picture on?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The cover that you removed and ron was concerned about IS the TPS as you saw there is a circuit board and such inside of it. There is also a "slot" for the throttle butterfly plate shaft of the throttle body to fit to. This is what makes the TPS send signal back to the computer for overall operation. The sensor mounted to the gas pedal in the car sends a signal to the electric motor in the throttle body(the part with the gears to open or close the throttle. BUT also is a system feedback thru the computer of the car and must function within computers parameters or troubles such as you have arise and/ or the CEL will also turn on. In some cases I've seen throttle problems with NO CEL activation or codes. In fact I am working on my wifes Pontiac for a throttle "stutter" under precise engine load and speed conditions and have it narrowed down to it's TPS, just have to get a replacement for it.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,965 Posts
but is not this the TPS and not the lid i have a picture on?
That is the intake manifold MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure - Some cars use an MAF and others the MAP

What makes you think that's the problem?

·
Registered
Kia Picanto GT 2020
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The cover that you removed and ron was concerned about IS the TPS as you saw there is a circuit board and such inside of it. There is also a "slot" for the throttle butterfly plate shaft of the throttle body to fit to. This is what makes the TPS send signal back to the computer for overall operation. The sensor mounted to the gas pedal in the car sends a signal to the electric motor in the throttle body(the part with the gears to open or close the throttle. BUT also is a system feedback thru the computer of the car and must function within computers parameters or troubles such as you have arise and/ or the CEL will also turn on. In some cases I've seen throttle problems with NO CEL activation or codes. In fact I am working on my wifes Pontiac for a throttle "stutter" under precise engine load and speed conditions and have it narrowed down to it's TPS, just have to get a replacement for it.
ok but what is that in the video called? i have that to... should i take it out and clean it? could it also be mallfunctioning? whats it called?

·
Registered
Kia Picanto GT 2020
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That is the intake manifold MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure

What makes you think that's the problem?
ok thanks. no i dont know if that is the problem. im just thinking loud :) trie to rule out everything :) is it worth taking out and cleaning?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,965 Posts
The cover that you removed and ron was concerned about IS the TPS
That's the "Throttle Body" with integral TPS.

The leakage that I noted in the one photo doesn't mix well with electronics, and it doesn't look like the OP is keen on doing any kind of testing.

·
Super Moderator
10,965 Posts
ok thanks. no i dont know if that is the problem. im just thinking loud :) trie to rule out everything :) is it worth taking out and cleaning?
That's called "guessing" and here we promote diagnostics instead.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
It won't harm anything to do that. and yes as that can cause similar symptoms. But from my experience with most other cars if that part malfunctions it WILL turn on the MIL/CEL light and set a code.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts