Kia Picanto GT 2020
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

My name is Richard and im from Sweden.
I just bought a Kia Picanto 1.0 2014 .
110000km and 2 owners only.

I have now a problem when i am driving.
When i change gears or just push down the clutch pedal the rev/rpm stays the same or even goes up a little for 2-3 seconds.
ITs very anoying and embarasing to drive like this :-( What is wrong? Please help me. The revs are realy high sometimes.
I have change motor oil, sparkplugs, air filter and cleaned the throttle intake i think its called ;-) .
And generaly when i pusg the gas pedal a little extra the car sound realy loud. should it be like this?

·
Registered
1.2 picanto sports
3 Posts
Have you tried the oiling the throttle cable ,and some times after market mats can get stuck under the throttle pedel, making stick open when driving hope it helps

·
Registered
Kia Picanto GT 2020
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried the oiling the throttle cable ,and some times after market mats can get stuck under the throttle pedel, making stick open when driving hope it helps
No i have not oild the throtle cable. How does that look? where can i fint it? Do you have a photo?
Its not a mat problem ;-)

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,133 Posts
It sounds like a sticking Idle Speed Control valve (ISC / IAC) and can often be cured by removing and cleaning it with Carb Cleaner.

When you let off the throttle the ISC is taking to long to bring the engine to idle speed.

This is if your model does not have the later Fly By Wire throttle body.

·
Registered
Kia Picanto GT 2020
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like a sticking Idle Speed Control valve (ISC / IAC) and can often be cured by removing and cleaning it with Carb Cleaner.

When you let off the throttle the ISC is taking to long to bring the engine to idle speed.

This is if your model does not have the later Fly By Wire throttle body.
Ok please show me how it looks and where I can find it?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,133 Posts
Ok please show me how it looks and where I can find it?
Post a photo of your engine showing the throttle body and I'll point it out.

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
That shows that you have the "Fly by Wire" throttle body, and those do not use an ISC, so it could be that is fouled and binding up.

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
It looks like the seals have leaked and that could cause erratic behavior.

I'm not sure that I fully understand your description of the symptoms.

·
Registered
Kia Picanto GT 2020
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok then i will try to get a new seal or buy seal on tube and se if that works better.
The place you point out is much more black and dirty than the rest.
Could it be so easy to fix?

The symptom again:
When im driving, hot or cold engine does not matter, and i change gears the rpm does NOT go down as quickly as it should, you can clearly hear the rpm stay high for an extra second or to when i push down the clutch and change gears. It sounds like grandma is driving the car hehe ;-)

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
ok then i will try to get a new seal or buy seal on tube and se if that works better.
The place you point out is much more black and dirty than the rest.
Could it be so easy to fix?

The symptom again:
When im driving, hot or cold engine does not matter, and i change gears the rpm does NOT go down as quickly as it should, you can clearly hear the rpm stay high for an extra second or to when i push down the clutch and change gears. It sounds like grandma is driving the car hehe ;-)
Did you mean when you lift your foot off the throttle and press the clutch - how's it behave when in neutral and you jab the throttle and release it quickly?

I have never attempted a repair of the "drive-by-wire" throttle bodies, but guess that if the leakage has damaged something, just sealing it won't solve the problem, it would need to be disassembled cleaned and lubricated.

·
Registered
Kia Picanto GT 2020
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes when i lift my fot of the throttle and press the clutch.
When im in nuteral and do the same there is no problem .
It is only when i drive.

Did you mean when you lift your foot off the throttle and press the clutch - how's it behave when in neutral and you jab the throttle and release it quickly?

I have never attempted a repair of the "drive-by-wire" throttle bodies, but guess that if the leakage has damaged something, just sealing it won't solve the problem, it would need to be disassembled cleaned and lubricated.

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
Yes when i lift my fot of the throttle and press the clutch.
When im in nuteral and do the same there is no problem .
It is only when i drive.
It could be that when driving the throttle is much further open and sticking somewhere in its travel.

·
Registered
Kia Picanto GT 2020
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have lubricated quite a bit now and everything semes to move like it should, smoothly. It does not get stuck enywhere that i can see. I have opened the throttle to maximum and it goes smoothly.

·
Registered
Kia Picanto GT 2020
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have now allso inspected the original gasket and it looks perfect... no damage what so ever, no cracks and so on.... strange

1 - 20 of 32 Posts