Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
This is my first post on kia forms :D

I bought a picanto (2005 lx 999cc) a few months back and have had some problems with it. The main one is having to top up a litre of oil every 2-3 weeks.
I don't know how it was treated by the previous owner and I brought it to a kia dealer to sort the problem but he didn't want to know about it and didn't give me any options..
Every time i start it on a cold engine, plumes of blue smoke come from the exhaust for a minute then its ok again.
I was told that it could be my 'valve stem seals'.

How can i check the seals? What are my options?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could be or could be worn piston rings.

I would try some of the stuff you can buy from auto shops for worn stem seals and see how it goes. If its a bit better then you might be onto something.

If on the other hand it improves nothing then I would suspect the rings. Either way a rebuild could be costly and it might be cheaper to get a second hand engine unless your handy with the spanners.

You could also try using a slightly thicker oil, but this could make matters worse. Not to clued up on the Picanto engine myself but I would not have suspected a block breather system or is there perhaps to much oil in and its burning it off?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts