Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Picanto 2004 Hatchback 999c Petrol
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kia Picanto 2004 that drived perfectly fine, until one day last week, I started smelling petrol in the car. I was about to check it out until I noticed that my fuel level is going down super quick and I started loosing power (Misfires and jerking) and the check engine came back on(P0300, P0301, P0340). After inspecting the car, I found out that I had a leaking fuel line going to the injectors. I patched the fuel leak, and tried to start the car. The car starts but for some reason, it cannot keep on going and stalls after 5 seconds of idling. If a press on the gas pedal, it stalls immediately.

What I have tried to fix the issue:

-Changed with brand new spark plugs as they were old anyways
-Removed the fuel pressure line and checked if fuel is being pumped to the injectors (yes, although I cannot be sure if the pressure is enough) The pump clicks when I turn on the Ignition, and fuel starts flowing out of the hose.
-Checked the spark plug wires

A local mechanic told me that the car needs a change of ignition coil; however, the car was running just fine before the fuel leak. I do not understand how the ignition coil would go bad right at the same exact time? Could there be a correlation between them or am I about to get ripped off?

One thing that people suggested after some research is to change my fuel filter; but that is together with the fuel pump on Kia Picantos. I would like to wait and do some more research before opening the fuel tank and the fuel pump.

Does anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage EX 2.7L
71 Posts
How did you patch the line? Is it possible trash got in the fuel line? It would be strange for a coil to fail at the same time, but not impossible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for you input Forteounces. The part of the hose where the leak has been patched by putting another hose on its place with 2 hose clamps to hold it in place.
The fix was done in a closed environment, so I dont believe any debry has entered the fuel line, but you never know.

EDIT: After fixing the leak, I verified that no fuel is leaking, and that there is fuel pressure when you turn the ignition on. (Even though I cannot verify if the pressure is sufficient, or if the volume of fuel flowing when the engine is running is consistant)

I bought a new coil today and will replace it. Will keep this forum updated.

In the meantime, if anyone has any other ideas, kindly put them below. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

I changed my spark plugs and ignition coil. I went to start the engine and I noticed for some reason the fuel level had dropped to empty. I didnt attempt to start the engine on a dry tank as it can damage the tank.
2 days ago my fuel level (I havent started the engine since) showed 1/4. I went for some petrol to the petrol station, and filled up the tank with 5 litres. Tried to prime the fuel pump by turning the key to ignition and back 3-4 times, hearing the fuel pump making a sound in the back. Then I tried to start the engine, took a few tries but I managed to start it.

Now im suspecting that it wasnt a coil or sparkplug problem, but simply an empty fuel tank with a fuel float that indicates a wrong fuel level. Maybe the fuel leaked out from the fuel leak that I experienced earlier on, and the tank simply had fumes left inside it.

So that solved my issue, engine is running again. And the change in coil and sparkplug fixed my misfiring problems and improved my engine performance so that helped aswell.

Thank you for your input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts