Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ...i am writing from greece .....i am on the way to tune my litle engine ....anybody with expereance on these engines ? i go for a cat back litle bigger freflowing exaust .....a cone filter like kn or beter simota with heat shield and i will reprogram the ecu if i can on a dyno .....then cut the ac and steering belts and duno it .......i beleave it will go near 75 to 80 ps ..
the engine is the same with new atos ? or the new daewoo matis ?...... B) B) B)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm considering doing very similar mods to my picanto as well but for the time being I'm trying to avoid any mods which will void my warranty on the car for another year or so. If after a year there isn’t any fault with the car then it will be unlikely for it to have any fault within its 3yr warranty.
I tried looking for a K&N filter element but i dont think they have the right size for the car. I actually got a local company who sell tuning parts to phoned up K&N UK to ask them about it. The next step will be just to take the whole air box out and replace it with the cone filter and cold air pipe. I want to get some Oz 15in gun metal grey or black alloy on the wheels too. Keep in touch and let me know how you get on with your mods

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am very experienced in mod the cars as this is my 6th car ...i was tired of high consumption and high part prices like honda and most importand high tuned cars are not so problems free like a new one ....my crx is near 200 hps and near 900 kg and beleave me i prefare my litle new picanto for my rides ,.....going fast is in the hart and hands and not so on the car hps ......i ask in kia and tell me that exaust and filter not brake engines waranty but only exaust waranty and filter waranty.......i will reprogram ecu by myself so i will tell you the maps to avoid dyno time ....its good engine and i thing we can go with no problems near 75 to 80 hps .....i sugest to do not go 15s exept they are ultra light like kosei ....if efect performances and to car with litle hps like ours its important ...i will keep my stock 13s aluminium and i will put lower profil tyres to reduse drive gear ratio so have beter acceleration ....sorry for my english .......other option is reprofile the cam but o will do it after 1 or 2 years ..... vs all that i have in mind to go for 30 ps nitro but i am litlle confused yet for how torc can handle the engine

·
Registered
72 Posts
nice hearing from you. :)

I think NOS will wreck the engine, and that's my gut feeling without having done it myself. If you are into that sort of thing maybe you can look at how they put in a 2.0 iVTEC into a Honda Jazz...

I think it is possible to do a mechanical tune versus a turbo or NOS tune as the engine is showing a lot of promise in stock form. However, very little is known about it, and I have heard from some Kia folks (Rio owners mostly) that there is a weird problem with the air/ fuel sensor, something about it not being friendly with increased air flow. Again I have not explored that yet.

lower profile tires on 13" will also improve the handling of the car, though I have not done that either. I am waiting for the engine to run in completely before testing the original factory tires. People say they are slippery.

I am sure many people will be interestd on your ECU settings once you have sorted that out. Please post a Dyno chart as well for bhp and torque. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so ther is a problem with air filter in kias ? ...i think that the solution is the distance from the air floe meter and filter ....... for the exaust i do not know if this car feel good with little backpreature like my crx

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hang on I thought the UK stock alloys on the picanto are 14in. Is it different in other countries or I’m just wrong? I think the picanto is going to be my everyday car so I just enhance the breathing of the air (full exhaust, air cone intake, cold air pipe) get a few bhp out of the engine but keep the reliability and fuel efficiency. How easy you reckon it is to lower the suspension? If I get some low profiles the gap between the chassis arch and wheel is increased.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Nightkid,

In Turkey the rims are 14 in, but i'm trying to have 15 in 3 spokes from Germany with -standart at GB but none for TR- rear and side spoilers. We have only EX versions with names comfort and advance(advance is mine and fully loaded).

By the way never think,

If I get some low profiles the gap between the chassis arch and wheel is increased.

We made that kind of thing once on a Fiat Uno once, and i still have the scar on my hand because of the we spin on the roof twice. All suspension geometry changes and becomes very dangerous to drive. I think you should wait for some original accessories...

CU

·
Registered
19 Posts
Think you misunderstood me amid. what i was thinking is if i do get low profiles it will be with the 15in alloys. The overall size of the wheel will remain very similar. 15in alloy + low profiles is similar in size to 14in with standard tyres. the geometry will remain very similar. if i do lower the car i want to find how low i can get when the car is fully loaded and when going over a speed ramp. There is so much speed ramp where i live, if i low the car too much i will end up being trapped in my own town!

·
Registered
56 Posts
hi nightkid,

Think you'd be writing to me not amid...

I tought you'd lower the car by cutting or tightening the springs. But i think if you have the same height with low profile 15 and standart 14s.

CU

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nightkid full exaust you mean with headers and freeflow cat ? you have already put it in ? i have hear that scoop air filter increase dramaticaly the contumption of fuel ... where you have put the filter ? on the thortlebody or with pipe near the front grile ?
i hear also that with free cat back exaust the top speed will reduced a litlle ....
my 13 rims are spesial prize 140 e all 4 wheels with bettr tyres than standart and very lightweight .and is only for some days with 1000cc picanto in greece ...so i give the 140 e and put it in my 1100 ...try to find also 13 but wider rims near 6 or 7 inces wide ...rotation mass is important for so litle hps power so do not surprised if a stock 1100 beat somone with heavy 15 with 185 or 195 tyres ......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Amid
No i havent done anything yet to my picanto. other that blacked out windows and some wind deflectors. will be getting some mud flaps this week, i'm thinking red mud flaps on my blue picanto will go quite nice. All of the thing i have said are suggestion and possible ideas when i do mod the car. I'm thinking waiting till mid next year earlest before any major modding because i want to my sure i wont need to claim warrenty. once i mod the car it voids the warrenty. I send you a pic of my car once i put the mud flaps on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok nightkid ...am im waiting the photo where do you find the mud flags? my pic is also blue and i thing to put hte white stripes like the mini cooper .......today i will trye a mod to the airbox .....i thing it is good designed so the gains from cone is not big .....i will just close the hole to tha big box so the air go straight to thortle body
and maby io will trye to put out the hoses from gril and put away tha bottom of the box ...the filter can be tappared to the upper part ..if i turn it little i thing it will be lile scoop .....so the air can go direct and with more flow to the engine .... this is not affect waranty ....i will trye to thermowrap it ...becouse as you know every 10 points of redyced air temperature is some % hp gain ....

·
Registered
56 Posts
hi,

sorry but, why should we do something to the engine, the aim for this car is economical transportation with style, so my opinion is to make some mods at teh body and never touch the engine.

CU

·
Registered
19 Posts
Amid
Would you mind sending a pic of the modification of the air box that you have done please. I’m interested exactly what you have done and I’m having difficult understanding what you meant. Over here in the UK they are very sensitive with warranty and insurance. Manufacturer will do anything to get out of a warranty and if you done anything that wasn’t standard fit under the bonnet they will just void the warranty.
I haven’t decided where to get the mud flaps from yet. All I have decided is that I want red mud flaps and I will make a decision sometime this week. I will let you know once I made up my mind.

PicantoTR
I would like to give you a logical answer to why I want to modify my picanto but I really can’t! It’s an area of interest to me, design and tuning cars. I’m actually studying this topic of area at university. The course is called “automotive engineering design”. Everyone on my course are all motorheads! I feel I’m lacking the hands on experience in tuning so the best way to learn is to do it hence modifying my picanto. I think of it as a project.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
as you know the basic theory is bring cold air to your box ...so make a biger hole to airbox and tape a bigger hose to bring air from gril or cut a hole to bumber ...if you do not want all these trye to put out the bottom of the air box and fix the filter with tape or straps .....i will trye it to before i put cone filter ...

·
Registered
30 Posts
HI NIghtkid,

Do you have any clues why Korean cars consumes more petrol than Japanese cars. To think that they can have the same technology with the japanese cars.

·
Registered
72 Posts
guys try the 13" rims, you will get some nice acceleration (if you put some good tires on). heh heh. i haven't removed mine yet.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
200 Posts
Originally posted by Nightkid@Oct 27 2004, 09:25 PM
I'm considering doing very similar mods to my picanto as well but for the time being I'm trying to avoid any mods which will void my warranty on the car for another year or so. If after a year there isn’t any fault with the car then it will be unlikely for it to have any fault within its 3yr warranty.
I tried looking for a K&N filter element but i dont think they have the right size for the car. I actually got a local company who sell tuning parts to phoned up K&N UK to ask them about it. The next step will be just to take the whole air box out and replace it with the cone filter and cold air pipe. I want to get some Oz 15in gun metal grey or black alloy on the wheels too. Keep in touch and let me know how you get on with your mods
****, which K&N filters were u looking at? I surveyed some yesterday and today and was thinking of putting K&N in too. R u sure about them not being fit into a Picanto? ****, I'm about to install mine tomorrow. If so, what brand should I go for that is just as good as K&N? how about HKS? :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi

old thread, but anyway, i've got 2008 picanto,

and i'd like to make it a bit better then it is, but not sure what parts will fit!

i want to improve brakes and suspension, air filters.

if anyone could help on exact models you have used , that would help a lot!

thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts