Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I use google nav with my HTC phone in the Rio. I have the phone plugged into the USB port for power. When I use Google Nav, or any other nav app, the voice prompts will only play through the car speakers if I am streaming music through bluetooth. If I am Is this normal, or is it a UVO problem or a phone problem? Any ideas? playing music from the flash drive, or listening to the radio I get no voice prompts at all, even through the phone's speaker.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
Hi Marleyfan61,

Unfortunately that is by design. You can think of Radio, Sirius, Media, and Jukebox as separate audio inputs on a receiver (in this case the UVO powered head unit).

When you are running Google Nav on your phone, this means that the audio is coming from your phone; which means that you have to select the Media input on the receiver to listen to it. When you stream music from your phone, this is also coming in through Media. When you have both music and Google Nav going, it is actually your phone mixing the two audio streams, muting the music to play the navigation voice prompts.

The UVO/receiver isn't smart enough to know that you want to mix two audio inputs and wouldn't be able to tell when Google Nav wants to prompt you. So when you select Radio, Sirius, Media (thumb drive non Bluetooth), or Jukebox, you only get that audio input.

When you pick something other than Media Bluetooth, the receiver doesn't disconnect the Bluetooth media output on your phone for hands free phone calls, which is why the navigation prompts come don't come out of the phone. The phones audio is still going to the receiver but are not being passed to the speakers. The receiver is smart enough to switch to Bluetooth audio for incoming or outgoing phone calls and that is it.

To have the audio come from your phone, you have to go to Bluetooth settings and disconnect "Media" from your Kia paired connection. If you do this, when you select Media on the receiver it will tell you that no Bluetooth media is connected. Hands free phone calls should still work.

I hope this helps and makes sense.

Hey all. I use google nav with my HTC phone in the Rio. I have the phone plugged into the USB port for power. When I use Google Nav, or any other nav app, the voice prompts will only play through the car speakers if I am streaming music through bluetooth. If I am Is this normal, or is it a UVO problem or a phone problem? Any ideas? playing music from the flash drive, or listening to the radio I get no voice prompts at all, even through the phone's speaker.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Willy, thanks for your reply. I suspected that was the case but was hoping it wasn't. Wish my nav would stream to my speakers regardless of the input selection. Guess I'll try disconnecting the bluetooth media. My phone plays more file types than the UVO system does (flac for example) so I guess I'll have to convert all the music on my flash drive to a type that UVO can handle and just use that from now on.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
I agree, which is why I load my phone up with music and pretty much rely on Bluetooth media streaming. I'm not a big fan of the radio so it doesn't bother me too much. Though I have been listening to Sirius more with my trial.

It would be cool if manufactures would create/adopt a third Bluetooth feature for Navigation. I mean right now the car supports to features of Bluetooth pairing, media and phone. Media gives you the ability to play outgoing audio streams from your phone. Phone of course gives you contact sharing, hands free phone calls.

Obviously the UVO unit is smart enough to always keep the phone feature active when necessary regardless of which media input you are currently using. To have another Bluetooth feature for Nav, that would always give playback priority to navigation audio, would be awesome.

Willy, thanks for your reply. I suspected that was the case but was hoping it wasn't. Wish my nav would stream to my speakers regardless of the input selection. Guess I'll try disconnecting the bluetooth media. My phone plays more file types than the UVO system does (flac for example) so I guess I'll have to convert all the music on my flash drive to a type that UVO can handle and just use that from now on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts