Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento Platinum 2017
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi brains trust. I have a problem that isn't really a problem, more an annoyance and I'm hoping someone might have a fix or explanation.
I have a top of the line, in Australia, 2017 Sorento with the Infinity sound system. I always connect my phone (i-Phone XR) to the head unit via the usb port on the front dash which as I understand is connected to the head unit so effectively a direct link. I like it because with a direct cable link the sound quality is superior over basic bluetooth. I also like to do it this way as it gives added functionality with the head unit. What I have found is that this connection can be so hit and miss it isn't funny. Sometimes it connects meaning I have album art showing along with extra controls for the audio. Other times it connects, as it shows that the phone is charging, but the media only plays via bluetooth. I then lose the album art and the ability to search individual songs or bands etc.
I have tried proper apple cables as well as generic cables, of various lengths.
Does anyone else have this issue or have I possibly got a dud head unit and it has taken me 5 years to get around to realising it?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
168 Posts
I think we have the same year, model car and the same sound system and the same annoying problem. I always thought something is wrong with my cheap cable and would just connect and reconnect again.

most of the time it works, but just on some days, I could only charge and would lose CarPlay… frequency of lost connection seems to be increasing lately.

·
Registered
Sorento 2018
16 Posts
My suggestion is to use the cable that came with the phone. Seems like you may have done this.

Second idea is to clean the connections on the phone and car with DeoxIT.

·
Registered
2019 KIA Sorento LX V6 AWD
79 Posts
I don't have top of the line Sorento but I used to have the same issue until the moment I bought high quality usb cable. Since then I've never had this issue again. Coincidence? Maybe... but worth of trying...

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
168 Posts
Yes, I did notice quality of cables do make a difference. That’s why people just thought it’s a cable issue.

after switching to a new phone, i noticed improvements as well, but issues would return after a while… so it could also be dirt or lint in my pocket? ;)

·
Registered
Sorento Platinum 2017
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have thought an authentic Apple cable would have been the best. It certainly has all the propriertary hardware that other cables don't if you are using it with an iphone. Is there something better still??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts