Kia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
Considering the upcoming PHEV Sorento
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going crazy trying to find info on the PHEV. All I see are "and there'll be a PHEV later this year". The dealer's saying they have no idea when it'll be available, but of course they are--they'd rather sell what's on the lot. :)

Anyone have any hints about when the PHEV Sorento will be available? Or even an educated guess?

· Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT Manual
54 Posts
I'm going crazy trying to find info on the PHEV. All I see are "and there'll be a PHEV later this year". The dealer's saying they have no idea when it'll be available, but of course they are--they'd rather sell what's on the lot. :)

Anyone have any hints about when the PHEV Sorento will be available? Or even an educated guess?
Are you in Seattle? If so I work at a local dealer to you. The furthest we have actually been told is "Fall maybe". We are running in to a similar thing that happened with the new EV Soul, pushed it back, pushed it back again, then said "Never mind you have the Niro, you don't get to have it in the states." I hope that doesn't happen, I have several customers right now wanting the PHEV.

We have also been told that when the PHEV is released there may be an AWD variant of the hybrid, but we will see.

I can actually see from here what every Kia dealer has on their lot, and what they have coming, if you wanna know I can find out for you.

· Registered
Considering the upcoming PHEV Sorento
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I’m in Seattle. It’s frustrating, because it’d tick all the boxes I want: 3 row, good-looking, electric.
Well, I’d prefer to ditch the gas engine and have a full electric 3-row that’s not a Tesla Y but y’know. Close enough.

· Registered
2017 Hyundai Sonata Plug-in Hybrid
2 Posts
Yes I’m in Seattle. It’s frustrating, because it’d tick all the boxes I want: 3 row, good-looking, electric.
Well, I’d prefer to ditch the gas engine and have a full electric 3-row that’s not a Tesla Y but y’know. Close enough.
Just curious. Why not a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid? It has 3 rows and is pretty good looking.

· Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
313 Posts
SX and SXP only, plus a plug in...not gonna be cheap. I was considering holding out for the plug in when I bought mine, but for the price I paid compared to the plug in, I don't think I will be regretting it.

· Registered
Looking at 2021 Kia Sorento PHEV SX-Prestige
13 Posts
Yea, the $6,600 Tax Credit will take some of the bite off of it but this is definitely going to be more than the average household will be willing to pay. I suspect it's going to sell well in places like Southern California or Phoenix where incomes are high, commutes are reasonable (distance-wise) and everyone has solar on their roofs but I don't see it making much sense for people in other regions. That said, it will probably be the cheapest 3 row PHEV that isn't a minivan so if that's what you're looking for, it doesn't have any competition other than the Model Y.

· Registered
22 Sorento SX-P PHEV Silky Silver
132 Posts
Yea, the $6,600 Tax Credit will take some of the bite off of it but this is definitely going to be more than the average household will be willing to pay. I suspect it's going to sell well in places like Southern California or Phoenix where incomes are high, commutes are reasonable (distance-wise) and everyone has solar on their roofs but I don't see it making much sense for people in other regions. That said, it will probably be the cheapest 3 row PHEV that isn't a minivan so if that's what you're looking for, it doesn't have any competition other than the Model Y.
You have to be careful too with the tax credit because if you don't have enough tax liability you won't get it all back. For people who have kids and a low amount of taxable income they may not see anything from the PHEV credit.

I'm waiting to see if Kia tries to compensate the lease offer with any discounts since they will be the ones getting the rebate in that scenario. I'm really digging the captains chairs with heated seats and definitely want the vented seats in the front so the SX-P is my plan.

Charging wise I don't have solar but in Oklahoma we have Smart Hours through our electric company to where we get half priced juice from 7pm-2pm and all day on the weekends. The downside is up to 4x during the peak hours 2pm-7pm. That's also only June-Sept. It'll help some, and just wish the battery was a bit bigger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.