Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Lent my 2005 Sorento to a friend, who kindly filled it up with a few gallons (10L) of petrol (unleaded of course!) - unfortunately its a diesel! Apparently the car was driven for about 8 miles before the engine coughed up and gave up the ghost.

Have had the garage sort the problem out and car appears to be fine again and they say their should be no long term problems.

Anyone any experience?

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
It should be alright. I've heard of people purposely adding some gasoline to their diesel to clean the fuel system. I forget what the ratio is, so maybe someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As Kia mech said this is done on purpose to clean out injector, however I have seen as much as 8 US gal added to a 40 US gal tank with no problems. obviously you wouldn't want to done that on a routine basis, but i think everything will be ok.

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
As mentioned above you should be OK :thumbsup: just make sure you brim it with diesel to dilute it down. Be thankful you don't own a petrol and it was diesel added.. That would have been one big bill. :grin:

Simon

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It's okish on the older diesels, but the common rail systems work a little differently.
I would not be surprised if your pump(s) fail shortly, the extreme pressures can actually blow a hole in the piston if petrol is used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts