Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Kia (2wd) has been an absolute bear lately! After coil pack issue which I recently posted about... I have another issue that reared its ugly head a few nights ago. Periodically, the engine overheats. When I say periodic, I mean very periodically. And with no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it overheats twice in 3 weeks. But the last time it overheated was like 4 months ago. The time in between, it always runs slightly cool, just below the midline with no variation, just a steady eddy. It has run slightly cool (not hot) when operating normally ever since I got it. Then at random it overheats. I let it sit overnight and fire it up the next morning and its like its back to normal, no overheating issue until some random future date. Got an engine temp coolant sensor code when I ran codes. Changed that. Not sure if that will fix it though. Still runs slightly cold when operating "normally," just like when the old sensor was in there. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Have you changed/flushed your coolant? Is there air in the system? What does your fan blade/clutch look like? I've seen fan blades break off. Ever change the t/stat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cobra259,

Thanks for the reply. I have changed the coolant. How would I figure out if there is air in the system? And how would that cause overheating? Just trying to understand. I can be ignorant on car stuff sometimes.

Fan blade and clutch are money. Working just fine.

Thermostat is the one thing I haven't changed.

What baffles me is the fact that the over heating is periodic. Have had bad thermostats in the past and when it went bad it was bad. It didn't stop working one day and start working again the next. Do you think that could be the case though?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
if you have had good days and bad days w/this situation,,,,,,,,,,,,THERMOSTAT. that is the only reason it comes and goes.. and also, be mindful of the water pump,,,just look at the weep hole. CRAP, never mind,,it's internal.....look for water around the harmonic balancer. if you see water down there,,,your w/pump is going.......suggestion,,,,replace t/belt at same time. Just rebuilt the upper half of my daughters 99sportage, and can offer a little help, and would be glad to do so,, since UPYOURKIA taught me!!!!!! [email protected]

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
How would I figure out if there is air in the system? And how would that cause overheating?
Assuming there are no leaks in the system, check the coolant level in the radiator as well as the overflow tank. Last time I replaced the coolant, it took a few days of topping up the system until it stabilised.

If there's significant air in the system, coolant flow will be reduced, as will cooling efficiency. Your problem does sound like a thermostat, although, as you say, you'd expect it to just fail rather than come and go.

Also check the temperature gauge. You don't report gross overheating (steam, drama, hot oil smell), so it might be just faulty readings.

-Reading again, I see you're already considering the temperature gauge. Running "slightly cold" is normal calibration for KIAs.

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
988 Posts
Replace the fan clutch if it has not been replaced in the last seven years, better if you replace the fan too.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,240 Posts
Does it overheat in when stationary, or when you are driving at speed, or both ?

·
Registered
2002 kia sportage
16 Posts
Had a problem with mine last summer. Ended up being the fan clutch. Temp would stay normal with the ac running, but would overheat when I shut the ac off. Sounded a little backwards to me. The AC has an electric fan and would cool the whole system. Took me a week of driving it to figure that out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts