Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:gunsmilie: Hi,

Just wanted to start a topic about mods for kia's. Wat I know. I've done cat back exhaust's on some of my trucks,K&n filters, tornado", Hot Coils, Underdrive pulleys, replace mech. Fan with Electric Fans, Chips, and Throttle body spacers. The Mods I liked BEST ARE Underdrive Pulleys and Electric fans.

These Mods I did to my 03 Supercrew F150 FX4 AND they made a noticable differance in low end torque an Mid rpm Horsepower and GAS mileage :banana: So, Far I cant find aNY Underdrive pulleys for my Girlfriends 2003 Kia Rio 1.6 auto/od. If any of you Know of any good mods for this car Please let me Know. Thanx Jake

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanx!!
I wish I could find some Pulleys for this rio!!!!

Ill tell ya, I really recomend Underdrive pulleys. Wat do u have?? Wat do u recomend.?? :liebe011:

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I have got a 04 Optima 2.4L LX and a 05 Spectra SX. No engine mods yet. Modding an engine is pretty much all new to me. Had trucks in the past and did some exterior mods to them. Planning on doing cold air intakes on both rides and thats all I have planned for engine modding for now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would suggest just a drop in filter(ie, high flow filter/K&N OR OTHER) I've put tried all that and havent gained a hole lot ever.+ Your car alreadt=y comes with a cold air intake= it sucks air from the outside of the engine compartment.

If u get a filter that has oil on it, periodicly clean any Mass air sensors or any sir sensors that ur car has with a Electric parts cleaner and let dry until driven.

·
Registered
107 Posts
if your talking about sephia and spectras, take a closer look at the hood and weather trim, it blocks the outside air from coming in, so its a nonfunctioning cold air intake, i have done tests on this, You would be better served with a short ram intake or a real cold air intake as the stock induction system sucks. I have done work on it and have tested it and that induction system kills performance. Get some real induction and ditch the whole intake assembly. The 2 90* bends severely restrict airflow, not to mention the 2 45* bends from the main hose. Also a short ram or a cold air intake will increase gas milage, increase power and will look better then stock, plus having the stock intake right by the exaust headers will really heat up the air, so it is by no means a performance intake system, and a drop in K&N filter will not be nearly as good as a short ram or true cold air intake.

im sorry but I don't think so many tuners are wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows where exactly the intake air temperature sensor (IAT) is so i can install my performance module. Its only suppose to be a 2-wire sensor, and all i seem to see is 3+. Its a 2005 Spectra. Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
well so far for performance i have a custom made Grounding kit, its a 7 Point system that consists of the following grounding points. Custom made CAI (made with only one very soft bend) and 2.25" Inside Diameter Catback exaust with strait through exit (not one of those cyllinder mifflers Its basically a resonator with a tip).

Valve Cover
Head
Block
Transmission
Intake Manifold
Throttle Body
Althernator

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,121 Posts
the iat is in the airbox.
I had (parted the car out)
lightened crank pulley
big bore throttle body
superchips tuned ecu
4-2-1 header
2 1/4 cat back with high flow cat
circle earth ground wire kit
cold air intake
and tons of weight reduction

car was still slow as **** kias are slow and unless you go big (supercharger or turbo) there is no fast kia LOL.
I used to love kia but after seeing so many cars with as many mods and sometimes less than the kia but are way faster, Im done modding kias. My next plan HONDA....

with all my mods I could only manage to pull a [email protected] LOL yea thats what im talking about. take the new civic for example like 15.5 stock. Even the new spectras wont touch a 15 number stock. lucky to get a 16.5.
**** I see stock civics running 15s stock.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio5
140 Posts
i have found the following works well.
KN air filter
NGK iridium plugs
Magnaflow stainless/unpolished muffler added to stock exhaust piping
Quaker state peak performance oil
Sunoco 94 octane (with 12 ounces of Noco 100 octane race fuel) added per tank.
please use a fuel system lubricant when using race fuel as the alcohol will dry out seals, gaskets without it.

stock rio struts and shocks totally blow. use KYB gr2's for massively improved handling and helping put the power down.

HKS makes a universal ground wire kit. will help massively

i haven't done this yet but i will soon. KFX performance, solid motor mount inserts, as the rio has a problem with wheel hop and putting power to the ground, i highly recommend this idea.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra5
96 Posts
What i did before I got my SRI for my spec5 was simplly remove the resonator box from under the fendor! In turn the filter housing pulls fresh air straight from the fendor well. Drop in a K&N filter and bah you are gtg!

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
NGK iridium plugs
Magnaflow stainless/unpolished muffler added to stock exhaust piping
Quaker state peak performance oil

LOL the ngk iridium plugs are a scam there is no performance gains from them ask around
quaker state peak performance is just a add on name to make you think oh its better... nope just another oil... like ive said unless its sythetic it will not help anymore than say a
mobil brand oil.
and a performance muffler added to the stock tiny pipe is in no way going to gain anything what kills the hp in these cars is the restrictive piping on them. its less that 1.5" around.......

thats why if you want the gains from the exhaust a 2-2.25" pipe from cat backi is nessicary...
ive been there at first all i bought was a performance muffler...
then i went cat back with 2.25" and man what a difference

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio5
140 Posts
question. ive heard that with low power engines, if you use a large diameter exhaust system without engine mods or a cold air intake, you can actually lose some engine responsiveness. from the number of honda civics with big exhaust systems that i leave sitting with my rio, i tend to believe it. as far as the oil goes, i've tested all major known brands of oil and quaker state and valvoline actually do test better than most. i prefer elf from france myself, but its harder to get.

synthetic is ok, but not worth the price if you are proactive about maintenance and change every 5000 kms(3500 miles). i also use oil and fuel additives that are not normally commercially available, even though they are made in the usa. they are used in professional drag racing and by the u.s. military and with them added, regular oil outperforms synthetic by about 500 percent. i'm not quoting any manufacturers stats, i've tested them on a lubricity testing machine in my previous job as a lubricant distributor and tech consultant.

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
Trust me I tracked my car with both senarios..

with the stock exhaust with just a performance muffler I ran a [email protected]

then with the cat-back I ran a [email protected]

tell me a catback loses HP.... not the case...

and dont compair any cars to civics..
Im so sick of hearing "Oh I left a civic in the dust"" yes maybe but look around my friend... You beat a civic wow Im impressed... Civics have 95 HP with the d16a vtech... even less if you lined with with a non vtec motor.
vtech is so so overrated........ unless you have the h22... or even the b16a vtech which is rated stock with 180HP. no way a rio will keep up without nos or supercharger.... or turbo....
I cant wait for the few ppl that think civics areslow actually line up with a accord or prelude with the h22 vtech... (or even a motor conversion in a civic hatch like one round town here that dropped the 220HP h22 in) stock it has 220HP........... no kia i=is going to even have half a chance.....

trust me my freind has the h22 he runs with just 1g into motor a [email protected]

I raced this b16a vtech on interstate
I had header, catback, lightened crank pulley, ground wire kit, cai, and weight reduction (yes my sephia was only a track car took tons of pieces off the car) and he still pulled away from me. I dunno what mods he had but I saw him at the store after and he told me he had the b16a vtech. i gots smoked....

Not all civics are slow... just the d16avtec and the non vtec motors are slow... but with a little over 1g they get super fast quick....

But even with 95 hp the rios would still I think get beat honestly... I mean the rios are tated at what 89hp at the wheels??????? sure its rated by kia at 95 but that is at the crank.... honda rates their vehicles at the wheels.... theres a huge difference....

The d16a vtech is rated at the crank 125Hp.... even non vtec motors at the crank are rated at 102hp...... weight is about the same with both cars..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by JAKEFUN@Aug 1 2005, 11:13 AM
:gunsmilie: Hi,

Just wanted to start a topic about mods for kia's. Wat I know. I've done cat back exhaust's on some of my trucks,K&n filters, tornado", Hot Coils, Underdrive pulleys, replace mech. Fan with Electric Fans, Chips, and Throttle body spacers. The Mods I liked BEST ARE Underdrive Pulleys and Electric fans.

These Mods I did to my 03 Supercrew F150 FX4 AND they made a noticable differance in low end torque an Mid rpm Horsepower and GAS mileage :banana: So, Far I cant find aNY Underdrive pulleys for my Girlfriends 2003 Kia Rio 1.6 auto/od. If any of you Know of any good mods for this car Please let me Know. Thanx Jake
I highlighted the mods you wasted money on.

And to they guy that says H series and B series motors are the only one with worthwhile vtec's should check out the K series..

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
Yes I forgot those I was just throwing in a few examples....

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
Then why did ya buy them???

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
hmm.. well if NOT for the HP increase (which RSX-S claims there are NO gains) then atleast with the guarantee and ease of mind that you do not have to replace the filter for a good 1,000,000 miles sounds good to me (NOT because I am lazy - I am in NO WAY shape or form LAZY with MY CARS! Cuz me LOVES me cars! :p ) NEWayz, just wanted to throw my two cents in.. I am STILL buying the filter heh! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts