Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a performance exhaust upgrade on their SX? Or has any info on which system would be the best fit.....thanx

·
Registered
557 Posts
Not that I've seen.

There's a youtube video of the 7ism ("sevenism") exhaust system. I'm told it's a good design, but I see 360 degrees of pipe bends.

There's a JunBL system, a little cheaper than 7ism, with a single muffler.

There's a "racetech" muffler-back system, basically for shiny exhaust tips.

I've posted a link a few times here on exhaust theory, showing that scavenging is very difficult on NA engines, since they rely on backpressure for maximum power. OEM exhausts should balance backpressure. HartUMP mentions the SX, and backpressure works against the turbocharger where far more power is gained. Turbo exhausts should have as little backpressure as possible.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
478 Posts
I don't know much about it but I have always thought this one looks pretty nice.
Korean Auto Imports

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage EX AWD
5 Posts
Not that I've seen.

There's a youtube video of the 7ism ("sevenism") exhaust system. I'm told it's a good design, but I see 360 degrees of pipe bends.

There's a JunBL system, a little cheaper than 7ism, with a single muffler.

There's a "racetech" muffler-back system, basically for shiny exhaust tips.

I've posted a link a few times here on exhaust theory, showing that scavenging is very difficult on NA engines, since they rely on backpressure for maximum power. OEM exhausts should balance backpressure. HartUMP mentions the SX, and backpressure works against the turbocharger where far more power is gained. Turbo exhausts should have as little backpressure as possible.
New here, couldn't find your link to Exhaust Therory. Kindly provide

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
I like the one Twinscroll suggested from Junbl.

detail KSPEC KDM Performance Center

Dual twin tips is cool looking and it would be easy for just about anyone to install (bolt together / no welding). Plus, doesn't bend (pipes) all crazy like some systems do. This is straight back to the can and out the tips...

I'd assume the crazy bent "performance" systems are more for looks and sound production than actual performance improvements. I can't imagine it being more efficient than stock with crazy bends in the pipes. Just a layman guess...

·
Registered
557 Posts
New here, couldn't find your link to Exhaust Therory. Kindly provide
The forum search isn't excellent. I just use google, site:kia-forums.com twinscroll "exhaust theory"

Here's one of the threads, with the link nearing halfway down the page. It is hard to find authoritative sources that aren't written for engineers.

On a turbo, the information I have says larger aftermarket exhaust will improve performance to the point of diminishing returns.
Basically, tuning exhaust for NA engines requires a lot of math to balance tradeoffs and not lose power, the kind of math OEM engineers do. Even tuning the header for a turbocharged engine is hard. However, tuning exhaust after a turbocharger is easy, where short runs of the largest pipe is better. Scavenging cylinders isn't even possible after the turbo. I mentioned that information because inevitably someone will have owned a NA 1990's Honda Civic, and will mention having lost power with 3in exhaust.

The crazy bends in the 7ism are apparently to accommodate the twin muffler. Two mufflers should technically reduce the backpressure, although since Sportage is inline-4, two exhaust pipes aren't necessary. AFAIK, twin exhaust tips are purely cosmetic, and look interesting.

JunBLs dyno chart there, it may not be independent, but it is reasonable. Averaging an additional ~10nm across the revband is good and predictable. Their horsepower results aren't ideal, peaking at +8hp, maybe averaging around +3hp?

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
I like the one Twinscroll suggested from Junbl.

detail KSPEC KDM Performance Center

Dual twin tips is cool looking and it would be easy for just about anyone to install (bolt together / no welding). Plus, doesn't bend (pipes) all crazy like some systems do. This is straight back to the can and out the tips...

I'd assume the crazy bent "performance" systems are more for looks and sound production than actual performance improvements. I can't imagine it being more efficient than stock with crazy bends in the pipes. Just a layman guess...
as a side thought, i wonder if this exhaust would help SX owners avoid the bumping issue with a lot of the aftermarket hitches?

plus it looks nice, and might sound better. personally i think the SX's sound is either bad (clap-trap rattle on start up) to forgetable (which isn't a good thing). it is by far my least favorite aspect of the car.

I for one would like to have a bit more growl without any buzz, which i know is a lot to ask from a 2.0L I4. If anything cover up the gear noise from the transmission.

BTW, does anyone else here there gears moving when standing outside watching the vehicle be driven away (not gunned)?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I keep coming back to this site looking to see what performance upgrades people are doing with their SX turbos. Kinda suprised I'm not seeing more, with dyno plots posted or even 1/4 mile before and after results.

I'll still keep poking in to keep reading through. The SX turbos are nice rides. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
478 Posts
as a side thought, i wonder if this exhaust would help SX owners avoid the bumping issue with a lot of the aftermarket hitches?
I keep wondering the same thing about these. My hitch is so close to the exhaust that even with my added exhaust hangers really tightening things up I can still get a clunk in the right circumstances.

There is so little clearance that the aftermarket exhaust could make things better if it is slightly off in one direction or it could make things worse if it's slightly off in the other direction.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Agree Tom. My SX has the LX/EX OEM hitch (bought before dedicated SX one was available) so I've also employed a hanger sort of as well. And a bit of adhesive foam padding as well just in case ;-) I don't hear any "bongs" while driving. I am sure if I went ape shit around some tight turn it may hit, but nothing yet under normal or spirited driving.

Side Question: Why spend the cash on an entire exhaust system? Wouldn't it be basically the same if I went out and got a "performance muffler" and some fancy dual exhaust tips (just for looks) and had a local muffler shop install them?

I liked the JunBL setup simply because it was "bolt on" and seemingly easy for a person like me to install with basic shop tools. And, it looked to be compact and without a ton of bends in the pipes. Again, just seemed the simpler solution would be best (and less expensive).

But, maybe I'm wrong. I just ask because I'd bet a decent performance muffler and tips wouldn't cost near as much...

·
Registered
557 Posts
An exhaust "system" often increases the diameter of exhaust pipes used throughout the exhaust, reducing backpressure & velocity etc. Also, OEM pipes are sometimes bent using compression which reduces the pipe inner diameter in bends, versus aftermarket pipes bent with a mandrel.

You could certainly get an aftermarket muffler to match OEM pipes (or adapted to), but the muffler is only a major bottleneck among several. Only changing the muffler & exhaust-tips is usually for image, looking big and sounding louder.

---
Myxalplyx, it is disappointing. That said, in the Track thread, there's evidence that Kia wants to tamp down on performance. Maybe they're right and know their market. Sportage is still relatively new for many performance modifications, and Kia historically hasn't been a performance car brand.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
I am curious if Flowmaster makes a muffler that could just be swapped out with the OEM unit. Keep the same pipes, same tips, just change the muffler for sound purposes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thx for the clarification Twin. Good to know. My 2011 at around 2500 RPM makes a low growl which sounds nice. Nothing loud or aggressive sounding, but nice all the same. But, quickly disappears once out of the 2500 rpm range...

I'd like a bit more "grumble", but not into paying $800+ for it personally.

IllJim: Hmm, interesting. It's worth a look. I'd be interested in something like that for a bit more aggressive sound. As long as it was a reasonable price and didn't sound obnoxious like a lot of those other after market mufflers I see (and hear) around town on crappy little cars ;-)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
That is what I was thinking, just for sound, doubt a muffler would do anything else. I don't know how much they run now, but a few years back, I had a Flowmaster 40 series put on my Maxima. It was less than 100 bucks including install.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I don't know much about exhaust sound quality. I can guess the cylinder number, but I don't know how to judge exhaust note. I'd be happy with an exhaust if it performed excellently, even if it sounded like a truckstop's Taco Bell bathroom. Nearly silent is even better. I DO notice when the noise is mismatched, like the prototypical 90's Civic with 4in-diameter exhaust, but the 7ism youtube video seemed to make the Sportage sound normal.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
Is that the video that uses Kesha's song at the beginning? There is just something about that video that leaves me a little skeptical of the exhaust noise, maybe I'm just jaded. I would love an aftermarket free-flowing performance exhaust on my SX, but I just don't want the drone or the loud exhaust note that usually comes it comes with.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah, that's why I'd have a hard time just dropping cash without actually hearing how a system or muffler would make the car sound. I guess if I saw enough online vids/reviews of a popular aftermarket muffler and a local shop recommended it, I might take a leap of faith and buy/have it installed.

I like the unassuming growl of the SX at the 2500 RPM or so mark. But, having a little more of that throughout the gear would be really nice.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I should have linked a 7ism video, but I'm lazy sometimes. You can't go wrong with "The world's best exhaust" if it can play Kesha. Maybe she isn't bad as an exhaust note.

I'm mostly concerned about volume per performance -- dBA/Nm, to invent a unit.

There's a couple good pages on muffler theory. I like the idea of combining expansion and turbo-restriction -- the SX Turbo with bigger exhaust pipes. In theory I like reflection/chambered mufflers, but I'm told they're louder than I expect.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
I think the Sportage sounds like ass to be honest. It is so "thrashy" and metallic at startup, and when you give it some throttle, it sounds like every other 4cyl motor out there.

I am still looking at the engine bay, wondering if removing that resonance chamber would help get some noise going on, I want to hear the turbo spool. This dude I know has a Sonata turbo, he says by just using a drop in K&N he noticed more turbo sound. Not sure how true that is though.

I wish there was a way to get it to sound more like the Neon SRT4 or Mazdaspeed 3. I don't really want drone either, but a sportier sound would be welcome.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts