Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento & 2009 Dodge Caliber
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband bought a Performance Chip for his 2011 Sorento and he can't seem to find the Integrated Mass Air Flow to hook it up to. We've been trying to Google it and all we seem to find is help for first generation Sorentos.
ANY help would be appreciated!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX GDI AWD Bright Silver, 2012 Rio LX+ GDI Clear White
63 Posts
I'm sorry for you ! Your husband got scammed by a false claim. A real performance chip is a ECU remap which can't be done by anyone since it take a special cable, program and a modified map.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,507 Posts
Xilikon is 100% correct.
Your mass air meter is in line with the hose comming from your air cleaner box, going to your throttle body.
Please come back after the install, to tell us what it did, or didn't do for your Kia.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX AWD
251 Posts
My husband bought a Performance Chip for his 2011 Sorento and he can't seem to find the Integrated Mass Air Flow to hook it up to. We've been trying to Google it and all we seem to find is help for first generation Sorentos.
ANY help would be appreciated!
Thanks!!
You're better off not finding it :) This is nothing more than snake oil in a chip.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX V6 2WD Titanium/B&D leather
309 Posts
You're better off not finding it :) This is nothing more than snake oil in a chip.
This is your best information for this lady?

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
What information would you have people give her? They bought a worthless piece of crap (the "chip"...not the vehicle). In a normally aspirated engine, there's a very limited number of things you can do to improve the performance without tearing into the engine/exhaust/etc. The only real impact you could have is to advance the timing and goose the fuel/air mapping to take advantage of higher octane fuel. At best, that's going to result in low single digit percentage increase in horsepower and then you're stuck buying more expensive fuel for your extra couple of ponies. Monkeying around with the mass air flow sensor isn't going to accomplish anything meaningful other than voiding the warranty.

Consider it a lesson learned. Hopefully, not an expensive lesson.

Best,

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would think someone who has actually bought and installed one of these units would respond to...the OP's very easily understood question pertaining to the installation of an already purchased product purporting to enhance the performance of their Sorento. I would also expect,as should you,that her question would be accepted for it's intent,not Sauron's curt reply. whether or not there is any effect at all in performance is left for their results at this time...they already bought it. If someone who has, in fact, bought one of this particular "non-chips" and then realized that these "trick" devices often retard performance would reply with how they installed.. and their experience...this response would certainly be more palatable than a sarcastic statement basically telling her to relate her husband's stupidity in buying this POC,as you put it. It is her first post people. Respect to all

·
Registered
309 Posts
Xilikon is 100% correct.
Your mass air meter is in line with the hose comming from your air cleaner box, going to your throttle body.
Please come back after the install, to tell us what it did, or didn't do for your Kia.
Nice post,LOL;)

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I would think someone who has actually bought and installed one of these units would respond to...the OP's very easily understood question pertaining to the installation of an already purchased product purporting to enhance the performance of their Sorento. I would also expect,as should you,that her question would be accepted for it's intent,not Sauron's curt reply. whether or not there is any effect at all in performance is left for their results at this time...they already bought it. If someone who has, in fact, bought one of this particular "non-chips" and then realized that these "trick" devices often retard performance would reply with how they installed.. and their experience...this response would certainly be more palatable than a sarcastic statement basically telling her to relate her husband's stupidity in buying this POC,as you put it. It is her first post people. Respect to all
Oh please....this is the Internet. If you can't stand a little light hearted ribbing, then you might want to stick with the needlepoint forums. :)

The bottom line is this...no "performance chip" is going to have a noticeable impact on engine performance for a normally aspirated engine like those on the Sorento. And splicing into the wiring to sensors that are also tied in to your engine emissions system will likely void your warranty.

Best,

·
Registered
309 Posts
Oh please....this is the Internet. If you can't stand a little light hearted ribbing, then you might want to stick with the needlepoint forums. :)

The bottom line is this...no "performance chip" is going to have a noticeable impact on engine performance for a normally aspirated engine like those on the Sorento. And splicing into the wiring to sensors that are also tied in to your engine emissions system will likely void your warranty.

Best,
Last post on this.I'm merely stating the fact. The fact is, the poster asked their first question here and was way less than helped.There are no stupid questions...only stupid answers.I am not addressing the validity of any claims anyone makes.Yes, this is the internet..where it seems as though civility is robbed by anonymity.Your opinions can be expressed like anyone else.It is a shame that some cannot withhold their need to preach rather than counsel.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
What can I say other than...you might want to develop a thicker skin. I provided "preaching" and counsel. Of course, you're free to do the same if you've got any knowledge of "chipping" to impart. I've been tuning turbocharged Audi and Porsche engines for a dozen years or so and have real world experience. If you just chimed in to complain about my "lack of civility" then you didn't really add any value to the conversation.

Best,

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
If you have a 4cyl Sorento you do not have a MAF, its strickly MAP sensors (aka speed density). And its been said and Its a great Idea to NOT USE THIS! Cheap "performance chips" are nothing short of garbage. Your far better off to throw it in the trash. Period. You hook that thing up and your very likely to kiss warranty goodbye, cause more problems, and likely a loss of MPG, since all they try and do is richen the fuel to feel like more power.

·
Registered
11 Sorento CRDI Platinum, 09 Nissan Micra, 82 Suzuki Hatch, 05 rio, 86 hilux 82 laser, 65 beetle
20 Posts
I have a 2.2l Turbo Diesel Sorento and purchased an item from No Limit Tuning on ebay.
It plugs into the fuel rail and is the best performance dollar you could spend.
Highway km/l down from 6.7l/100km to 5.8l/100km using cruise control on the same stretch of road over 600km, filling up at the same service stations etc.
An comparative difference around town as well. Not to mention the reduction in turbo lag that this vehicle has.
To make it easier it is a plug and play setup that you can remove before a factory service if you are concerned.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD CRDI; 2007 Sportage EX CRDi 4WD; 1967 Mercedes 250S; 1958 DKW 3=6
372 Posts
I have a 2.2l Turbo Diesel Sorento and purchased an item from No Limit Tuning on ebay.
It plugs into the fuel rail and is the best performance dollar you could spend.
Highway km/l down from 6.7l/100km to 5.8l/100km using cruise control on the same stretch of road over 600km, filling up at the same service stations etc.
An comparative difference around town as well. Not to mention the reduction in turbo lag that this vehicle has.
To make it easier it is a plug and play setup that you can remove before a factory service if you are concerned.
Can you please post the link if you still remember it?

Anyone has any opinion on this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a1468f4ae

Cheers

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Agree it probly is a waste of money on this crossover. Best bet would be to get a good CAI and lighten the load as much as possible. Hope you didnt spend a whole lot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts