Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any experience out there with improving the power of the 2.5D with an after-market performance chip ? (e.g. Steinbauer )
Spinifex

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
any experience out there with improving the power of the 2.5D with an after-market performance chip ? (e.g. Steinbauer )
Spinifex
I can't say for sure about the diesels, but every chip I've ever seen for gasoline engines, has been marked as scam or poor product (pushing air readings higher to increase gas intake = more power).

I believe you would need to reprogram the ecu to a higher performance state, and possibly change out some engine components to support it.

General rule of thumb, "chips" don't do squat. :)

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Most diesel chips work by either increasing the pressure in the fuel rail, or by increasing the dwell time for each injection (or both). Yes they do work and are more effective on diesel engines, because diesels are a lean burn engine - ie more fuel = more power, where as petrol engines (should) run a stochimetric burn, ie ideal air fuel ratio.
However you reach a point where the extra fuel, which also means extra heat and combustion pressure, where you risk melting a piston or cracking the head under load if overdone. There is also a school of thought which says that constantly running a higher rail pressure can damage the injectors over the long term, and decrease their lifrspan.
The standard settings are a trade off between performance and longevity, if you change one side of the equation you must balance the other side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
perspective on Chips

thanks guys for the 'heads-up' , especially on the diesel perspective. certainly "food-for-thought" there, those potential side effects are highly undesirable spend$ ! It's probably a case where the advertising doesn't tell the full story .... (not surprising, ehh ? )
:(

Spinifex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts