Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there any performance soft compound brake pads available for the below Kia part numbers?

brake pads
Front - 0 K9D0 33 28Z (possibly found on Kia Carens)
Rear - 0 K50A-26-28Z (possibly found on Kia Sephia)

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
What years?
Most parts stores have a cross reference book they can usually look things up with, but the Kia Karens, not being a US model, might be a bit tough here.
You looking for pads for the Elan?

THe US sephias, I beleive all had rear drum brakes, there was not an option for 4 wheel disc.

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
Ron, I did look up your brake pad #'s neither are good numbers here in the USA. Don't know where to look for any perormance pads.

·
Super Moderator
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for trying.

It is for my Elan.
I upgraded the front brakes to what Kia advised, which I heard was the same as the Karens, and at that time they came out with the suggested part number for the rear pads.

I will ask my friends in Korea to help match the part numbers with models in the US and see if we can get better options then - thanks.

The front pads look like the ones displayed here for the Carens / Clarus
http://www.partswini.com/Brake Parts-Brake pads-PAD SET-FRT-0K9D03328Z/auto_parts_view.part?part_cd=PW201102220000010364
http://autopartmaster.com/en/?action=catalog_show&cat=kia&t_id=11067&added_=KIA%20EUROPA%20%CB%C5%C3%CA%CE%C2%DB%C5%20CLARUS%28F/L:RHD%29%20K9ES

The rear pads look like these:
0K9A0-26-28Z,KIA,SEPHIA , SPECTRA , CARENS , CITRA, BRAKE PAD - Detailed info for 0K9A0-26-28Z,KIA,SEPHIA , SPECTRA , CARENS , CITRA, BRAKE PAD,BRAKE PAD,0K9A0-26-28Z,KIA,SEPHIA , SPECTRA , CARENS , CITRA, BRAKE PAD,0K9A0-26-28Z on Alibaba.com

Attachments

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
My friends in Korea tell me that my Elan brakes are:

Front - Credos 2 / Clarus
Rear - Credos 1 0K9A0-26-28Z

Should I look at buying the Yellow Stuff or the Green Stuff ?
Yellowstuff Brake Pads 4000 "R" Series
Sadly those are MAZDA sequence numbers if I recall my MAZDA FORD. Try a Mazda Dealer

K9A0-26-280Z or 028Z 4digit-2digit-3digit is Mazda and Ford(Mazda/Kia) in the case of the Merc CAPRI and Probe/626 Coupe. Some have letters at end too.

K9A0 is the design familiy in this case brakes it's the first car showed up on. Can show up on many models after that with no new numbers assigned to it.
26 is rear or 33 front set in the case of K9D0-33-28Z
280Z or 028Z is the version or vendor or both.

Oil filter on my 1990 Mazda Miata I recall was a NA01-12-300B
NA01 is Miata GenI
12 is engine lube
300B is oil filter version B updated

Kia sequence for replacement parts is always I have seen and cobra can verify this

xxxxx-xxxxx 5digit-5digit like the spin-on oil filter on our souls and others
26300-35503

There are a few exceptions but they are fluids and accesories and hardware and such if so.

All manufacturers have their own sequence system for parts. But some use parts form other makers so you might get cross over like this. Unless they rename them.

Chrysler/Ply/Dodge/Jeep/EAGLE uses their own but did or does use MITSUIBISHI and RENAULT too. And so on.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If you can get the Green Stuff, do it. I have had much luck with the EBC green stuff pads on 3 different vehicles of mine, although not Kias. They made a little noise at times but brake performance was much better.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Further Research

Did some further research adn found just as I said they are MAZDA derived numbers. With no USA apps. Here is why.

They are NOT new KIA CORP nu,bers but OLD KIA corp before HYUNDAI. When it was a FORD/MAZDA DNA arm-wing. Which made the Festiva/Fiesta/Aspire and Courier P/U as well as the MERC Capri conv.

The old still in use KIA 0 K9D0 33 28Z front pads and 0 K9A0 26 28Z rear pads are

Mazda K9D0-33-028 may have Z or not it is hard to tell from the USA and my personal data base.
Mazda K9A0-26-028 may have Z or not.

Kia took which is common practice in mnay marker and mess with teh basic number to KIAize it for use form OEM Mazda parent sequenceing. may get teh Z to make it made form a different vendor then OEM Mazda one too. Like OEM Mazda is ATE and KIA versions are AKI-BONO.

so Kia made it by adding a 0 and then K9D0/K9A0 and then 33/26 and then dropped the 0 and added a Z and got KIA brake pads and such which were based off maybe a Korean market Mazda 121/222/GLC/Protege or some such car.

Hense 0 K9D0 33 28Z and 0K9A0 26 28Z. Best bet is to order form KOREA for that car useing those numbers and upgrade there as you like not here and bite the bullit and pay the outrageious shipping and customs fee to get them here. Or have them bought there for you and shipped here to you FEDEX or UPS non business class pacakge. And hope they do not flag at customs xray and nail you fees that way.
Between a rock and hard place is really the bottom line I think. Welcome to grey market cars in USA. If your Elan was not such an odd ball here it might be a little easier but not much if it did have rare chance of a USA FORD/MAZDA/KIA brake system use somewhere since 1975. A ELAN just gives it a whole new set of fun to deal with. You are really now driving a one off like a 1969 NOVA with drum brakes all around. Gettig shoes might be very interesting for that now too. And custom made useing the old SHOE metal hard part and relined with new friction material. The same might be true for you ELAn adn its disc pads. Reuse the old pad backing plates and reline the friction material at a CUSTOM race car brake shop. ;) But might be cheaper to pay the Korea to USA FEDEX/UPS and get the right stuff faster first time. And less effort too. Order sit and wait put on. No trial and error and grinding the first set they make for you.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Greenstuff. Unless your really gonna work those brakes, the yellow are overkill. I used the reds on my sephia, gripped real good,but had to work them hot before they really grabbed.

·
Super Moderator
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm not familiar with the range of pads, and my thoughts were to get a soft compound that would provide max grip hot and cold, even if it meant I needed to change pads more frequently than normal.

I'm going to my vacation home soon, where I store the Elan, and will get the part numbers of the spare standard brake pad sets that I have in stock, and photograph them, and see if it helps find a match.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Greenstuff is for you then. Nice stopping power, cold and hot, very minimal brake dust, they are great pads.

·
Super Moderator
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all the help and suggestions, now to match up a set of front and rear "Greenstuff" from the attached photos.

I'm now at my holiday home where I store my Elan, so was able to take some pictures from my stock of spare parts - I always stock up when on a trip to Korea.

I had the number for the rear pads wrong - now corrected in the first post.

brake pads
Front - 0 K9D0 33 28Z (found on Kia Credos 2 / Carens)
Rear - 0K50A-26-28Z also 0 K9D0 26 28Z (possibly found on KIA CREDOS 96 rear)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got the Green Stuff - and as can be seen in the photo, it's a perfect match.

Same pads found on the Shuma and Spectra.

Keen to see how they perform compared to the stock Kia pads.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Got a chance to install and test the "Green Stuff" today, and can confirm that after just a few hard test braking actions they most certainly do have a lot more bite than the stock pads.

The old pads weren't too far from end of life, so didn't feel guilty about tossing them out to make way for the "Green Stuff".

Found the best deal here: http://www.perfectbrakes.com/greenstufflink.asp

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Nice to hear, I used EBC products in the past with great results. And it will be nice to not get any brake dust to clean off the rims too.

·
Super Moderator
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice to hear, I used EBC products in the past with great results. And it will be nice to not get any brake dust to clean off the rims too.
Day three and still impressed, but they have started to squeal when coming to a gradual stop.

Too early to appreciate the lack of brake dust on the rims.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
The squealing usually happens with new pads for a few weeks, I have noticed.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
Plus. from my research, it appears that performance pads have tendency to squeal much more than softer "regular" grade.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hope you followed the proper bed-in procedure that EBC gives you for their pads. Their pads are AWESOME, but if you don't bed them in right you can trash them within the first 10 minutes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
8 Participants
dearmosd
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing