Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Amazon.com already has a decent price on Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40. But, next week or so they'll begin charging sales tax here in California which will add 7.75% for me. So, I needed more oil and figured its a good time to stock up on a few cases. After seeing the price I thought I'd let others here know as it seems quite a few use this same oil.

Anyway, with their subscribe and save option it's currently $40.62 for a 6 quart case. That's $6.77 per quart delivered. The best I could find around here in a "big box" store was just over $9.00 plus tax (per quart).

Edit: Link isn't working when clicked (forum changing it on post submit?) so copy/paste or just search on their site.

Code:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006A49KJC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006A49KJC&linkCode=as2&tag=sponttriplblo-20
Pennzoil 550022576 Ultra 5W-40 European Full Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart,(Pack of 6) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Pay only $43.40 and relax with Subscribe & Save.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Maybe that reference isn't you. Whoever's link that is, sponttriplblo-20 makes money off it as an "affiliate". Removing everything after the B006...JC/ section makes the same link, minus the affiliate. I'm sorry, but an Admin may edit...

A VAT-type tax has been a long time coming in the USA, but adapting a consumption-based economy to VAT could take time. It does seem to tamp consumer excess. That said, I'd bypass it too with online purchases. Those few extra dollars per litre pay for lots of rent and management as well down the line.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weird! My wife buys all the stuff on amazon. I had her email me a link. I'll ask her about that. Doubt she'll even know what I/we are talking about... Edit away admin and sorry for the trouble.

Anyway, yeah, it's rough when you're basically paying an added 8% but that's life. I pay sales tax in everyday life, but as you mention, I'm not going to turn down the "discount" that's offered. I can't ask amazon.com to tax me even if I wanted them to ;-p

Just bought 2 cases (12 quarts) since that's all I felt like spending. I've never used the Ultra but hear all good things. Also, went with 5W-40 since I live in a warm part of the country. Late summer it's easily 100F everyday for weeks so I feel it makes sense to go with the heavier grade.

I've also read how it saves the engine from "slow wear/metal loss" over time which lighter grades don't protect as well against. Some study showed 0.005" (camshaft? can't remember what major engine part they mentioned) wear over 30,000 miles w/ 5W-20 vs. almost no measureable wear after 150,000 miles using quality synthetic 5W-40. This was a controlled test at which the engine ran at a smooth 45 mph etc etc. Not real world. Interesting though.

I know the heavier grade hurts MPG slightly, but I'd rather lose a few pennies here and there at the pump knowing my engine is getting basically the best lubrication I can provide.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage SX
47 Posts
Amazon.com already has a decent price on Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40. But, next week or so they'll begin charging sales tax here in California which will add 7.75% for me. So, I needed more oil and figured its a good time to stock up on a few cases. After seeing the price I thought I'd let others here know as it seems quite a few use this same oil.

Anyway, with their subscribe and save option it's currently $40.62 for a 6 quart case. That's $6.77 per quart delivered. The best I could find around here in a "big box" store was just over $9.00 plus tax (per quart).
Wal-mart sells it regularly for some change over $28 for a 5 qt container. Sometimes less.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dohcacr: Thx for the info. Had no idea. Great price! I'm usually a Target shopper but will for sure check my local Walmart. I'll buy it there if the price is around that in my area. Thx for the tip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts