Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm wondering what Kia owners think of this offer. If you use Pennzoil's Ultra Platinum oil at Kia's specified intervals, regularly replace your air filters and keep the evap system healthy, they will warranty your engine internals (pistons, rings, etc.) for 500,000 miles or 15 years (whichever comes first). You can enroll in the warranty program if your car has less than 75,000 miles and was manufactured within the last 6 years. There is no charge to enroll, and the warranty can be completely transferred to a future owner

I just thought this might be interesting for anyone who is maybe wavering between buying a new or used Kia (as the warranty terms for each are different), or for a current Kia owner who is concerned about their warranty expiring soon. To me, this kind of offer from Pennzoil (which Mobil 1 and I assume other synthetic oil makers are doing now) is more than interesting. Pennzoil is pretty clear on what parts are covered in the Terms & Conditions, and it looks like a good list.

For those of you who try to keep your cars for 10+ years, what do you think?

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,408 Posts
Gimmick IMO. The two key phrases that jump out are 'Limited Warranty', and 'Other conditions apply'. And it would be at the time a claim is submitted that you find out exactly what those two things mean.

I've been a customer of Pennzoil's oil for quite a while, and use it along Valvoline Synthetic. I just don't believe they're ever going to pay out a significant amount of $$ on a claim, because by doing so they would be conceding that their oil was the cause of the problem. I believe they would do everything possible to prove their product was not the cause of the engine failure, including a trip to court if necessary. The owner would end up having to prove that the cause of the problem was the oil, which would be nearly impossible to do. JMO and others are likely to disagree.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
I agree ^^^^

Plus...

1- You have to exclusively use Pennzoil Oil at all times (you can't substitute any other brand).

2- The up to 15 years/500,000 mi only applies to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (it's up to 10 years/300,000 miles with other Pennzoil oils).

3- To maintain your warranty, you need to change your vehicle's oil and oil filter at least as often as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer (so no "extended oil drain intervals" - ever).

4- You must replace the air filter and air cleaner elements and maintain the emission control system.

5- You must follow the scheduled engine maintenance in accordance with the vehicle’s manufacturer recommendations.

6- You need to be sure to keep your all your oil and filter receipts and a detailed record of those changes. Those receipts need to show that only Pennzoil oil was used.

7- You must update your oil change records online (on their site) at least once every twelve months, even if no oil change has taken place.

8- And finally, as @kiaguy002 said above, if something does happen to your engine, good luck proving that it's their oil that's at fault (which you would have to do).

Not worth it in my opinion.

Richard

Reactions: Jacob King

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gimmick IMO. The two key phrases that jump out are 'Limited Warranty', and 'Other conditions apply'. And it would be at the time a claim is submitted that you find out exactly what those two things mean.

I've been a customer of Pennzoil's oil for quite a while, and use it along Valvoline Synthetic. I just don't believe they're ever going to pay out a significant amount of $$ on a claim, because by doing so they would be conceding that their oil was the cause of the problem. I believe they would do everything possible to prove their product was not the cause of the engine failure, including a trip to court if necessary. The owner would end up having to prove that the cause of the problem was the oil, which would be nearly impossible to do. JMO and others are likely to disagree.
What other conditions are you concerned about?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
good luck proving that it's their oil that's at fault (which you would have to do).
What in the language gives you that impression? I read it as "prove that you don't ignore your air filters and evap", not "prove scientifically how our oil caused this problem". Seems like they're saying if you get some kind of internal damage before the warranty expires, and there's no evidence that you ignored any air filter & evap maintenance (or used a different oil), then they'll cover it.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,408 Posts
What other conditions are you concerned about?
What I wrote isn't about conditions I'm concerned about - 'Other conditions apply' is the last sentence in the second paragraph of the document that you posted in your OP. They could potentially use that generic statement to come up with almost anything that would shoot down a claim.

You asked for opinions, and so I gave mine. But it sounds like you're psyched about this program, and my comments were not intended to rain on your parade, so by all means go for it!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I wrote isn't about conditions I'm concerned about - 'Other conditions apply' is the last sentence in the second paragraph of the document that you posted in your OP. They could potentially use that generic statement to come up with almost anything that would shoot down a claim.

You asked for opinions, and so I gave mine. But it sounds like you're psyched about this program, and my comments were not intended to rain on your parade, so by all means go for it!
Oh.. you mentioned "other conditions" like it was a suspicious thing, so I was just wondering what you were thinking of specifically. I'm interested in the program, but as always, I'm a skeptic. That's why I'm asking for opinions. Just wanted some clarification on why you think it's a gimmick. No biggie.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
894 Posts
What the heck....go ahead and sign up for the super warranty. You have nothing to lose.
But, I'm afraid I have to agree with others and their comments.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,008 Posts
I don't think that it's a gimmick in the true sense, I think they'll honor any claim that meets the requirements 100%, but know that very few will be as diligent as needed in the use of the product, record keeping, and keep their vehicle for 300K miles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't think that it's a gimmick in the true sense, I think they'll honor any claim that meets the requirements 100%, but know that very few will be as diligent as needed in the use of the product, record keeping, and keep their vehicle for 300K miles.
I agree. Its a marketing program that has a cost associated with it. They have statistics on how long people keep their cars and engine failure rates and can layer onto that the record keeping requirements and can come to a pretty good conclusion how many claims they will have in a year. (Not very many.). I can guarantee you that cost pales next to how much additional oil they think they can sell as a result of the program. If It doesn’t say the failure has to be the fault of the oil I don’t think they will pull that out at the end.

This is like the BG warranty and the surge protector warranties or extended warranties your credit card gives you. People don’t typically keep the documentation or remember they even have it and this is what makes it work as a marketing tactic. Not risking their reputation on one claim a year by refusing to honor it. If it was a no name brand I would be more suspicious.

I bought replacement brake pads for my vehicle the first time I replaced them. Lifetime warranty. I kept the vehicle 17 years and over 200K miles. I replaced the brakes 3 more times and never bought pads again. All I had to do was stick the old pads in the new box with the receipt on a shelf in my garage and take it in each time. The last time I went in the guy at the counter commented that I had really gotten my money back on the lifetime warranty pads.

Most people don’t keep the car that long and if they do they don’t remember the warranty or keep the receipt. That’s how they make money on lifetime warranties.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. Its a marketing program that has a cost associated with it. They have statistics on how long people keep their cars and engine failure rates and can layer onto that the record keeping requirements and can come to a pretty good conclusion how many claims they will have in a year. (Not very many.). I can guarantee you that cost pales next to how much additional oil they think they can sell as a result of the program. If It doesn’t say the failure has to be the fault of the oil I don’t think they will pull that out at the end.

This is like the BG warranty and the surge protector warranties or extended warranties your credit card gives you. People don’t typically keep the documentation or remember they even have it and this is what makes it work as a marketing tactic. Not risking their reputation on one claim a year by refusing to honor it. If it was a no name brand I would be more suspicious.

I bought replacement brake pads for my vehicle the first time I replaced them. Lifetime warranty. I kept the vehicle 17 years and over 200K miles. I replaced the brakes 3 more times and never bought pads again. All I had to do was stick the old pads in the new box with the receipt on a shelf in my garage and take it in each time. The last time I went in the guy at the counter commented that I had really gotten my money back on the lifetime warranty pads.

Most people don’t keep the car that long and if they do they don’t remember the warranty or keep the receipt. That’s how they make money on lifetime warranties.
For sure, they assume most people won't document everything. But if you are one of those people, then this could end up being helpful, like you found with the brake pads. Where did you buy those btw?

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
...if something does happen to your engine, good luck proving that it's their oil that's at fault (which you would have to do).
What in the language gives you that impression?...

From their "Terms and Conditions":

"SOPUS Products warrants you... that it will repair or replace, at its option and at its expense, the engine parts listed below, that fail on account of engine wear or which experience abnormal wear, because Pennzoil® motor oil failed to provide proper lubrication."

"As long as you do what it says in this Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty, your vehicle’s Listed Engine Parts will be covered against lubrication caused failure..."

"SOPUS Products may, at its discretion and at its own expense, conduct such further investigation as may be required to determine the cause of the claimed problem
[to find out whether or not it is in fact their oil that caused the failure] and your eligibility for reimbursement of the repair..."

"Before repairs are made to your vehicle, you must provide the claims administrator with all of the following... f. A sample of the motor oil and the damaged parts at the time of the claim..."

Hope that clarifies it.

:cool:

Richard

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From their "Terms and Conditions":

"SOPUS Products warrants you... that it will repair or replace, at its option and at its expense, the engine parts listed below, that fail on account of engine wear or which experience abnormal wear, because Pennzoil® motor oil failed to provide proper lubrication."

"As long as you do what it says in this Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty, your vehicle’s Listed Engine Parts will be covered against lubrication caused failure..."

"SOPUS Products may, at its discretion and at its own expense, conduct such further investigation as may be required to determine the cause of the claimed problem
[to find out whether or not it is in fact their oil that caused the failure] and your eligibility for reimbursement of the repair..."

"Before repairs are made to your vehicle, you must provide the claims administrator with all of the following... f. A sample of the motor oil and the damaged parts at the time of the claim..."

Hope that clarifies it.

:cool:

Richard
Yeah, but you can play this game with any warranty. What it comes down to is: do you trust that the company will not fight you on an honest claim or not? As ron said, I doubt a company like Pennzoil would try to scam you, because I doubt they actually get very many honest claims submitted. That's because people who change their oil following manufacturer's recommended interval (regardless of what brand of synthetic oil they use) rarely have engine failures. So it's a safe bet for both sides, given those requirements/conditions.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
I think those lines I quoted from their "Terms and Conditions " makes it pretty clear...

They will cover the cost of an engine repair under their warranty only in cases of an "oil related failure", period. In other words, if it is determined that the use of their oil was the cause of the failure, they will pay for the repair.

The actual number of claims that are made have very little to do with it. They are simply not going to dish out thousands of dollars to repair or replace an engine irregardless of what caused the failure. No company, of any size, would do that. Denying one of those claims (which are most likely very few in number) will do very little to hurt their reputation or good name.

Richard

·
Registered
2008 Rio5, 2012 Sorento 2WD, Goldwing, Ural, Chinese scooter, recumbent bicycle, two feet
7 Posts
Maintain your vehicle. Perform oil changes on or as near to schedule as practicable, change air filters as required and maintain the emission control system as required. Use any oil that meets the manufacturer's requirements. Your vehicle will last as long as it would with Pennzoil. Well maintained motors simply don't suddenly fail due to lack of lubrication. I'm sure Pennzoil (SOPUS Products) would honor their warranty....but that doesn't make it any less of a marketing gimmick.

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
77 Posts

That BG warranty is a joke. We took my wife's car to the dealer after receiving a notification it needed transmission service. They offered a discount. She was planning to keep the car so we opted for the service. The manufacturer preaches on using genuine parts & fluids. Upon picking it up I noticed the invoice stated BG transmission service. I asked why the dealer didn't use genuine fluid. They claim it would have cost triple and BG offers a great warranty that the dealer recommends. About 45 days later the car developed transmission issues. Dealer called saying it needed rebuilt. They send the car out, don't do it in house. $3,400. The car had low mileage averaging 8,000- miles a year. It was driven by a 55 year old lady. It was 4 months out of the 36 month warranty but had a 60 month power train. The manufacturer turned down the repair because genuine fluid wasn't used and the service was done before the manufacturers recommended interval on a supposed "non serviceable" transmission. Even when we told them it was a dealer recommended service done at the dealership. I asked the dealer why we received a notice of the recommended service when the manufacturer doesn't suggest it. The service manager stated it was based on the low mileage on the car which can break down fluids faster ? Short trips generate more fluid break down. So I handed him the BG paperwork with their warranty. BG turned down the repair. The fluid did not have enough miles on it to cause transmission damage. The car sat at the dealer around 5 weeks with them saying they were fighting back and forth with Nissan & BG trying to get it covered. I found a local place that had a higher mileage transmission that wanted $650 for it and $300 to put it in. It also included them going getting the car with their tilt bed tow truck. They had it back on the road in 2 days. 30 day warranty on the transmission. Wife drove it 3weeks with no issues but we got rid of it. Traded it on our first Sportage. We just bought a 2020 Sportage and kept the 2013 as a beater. Have had no issues with it.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maintain your vehicle. Perform oil changes on or as near to schedule as practicable, change air filters as required and maintain the emission control system as required. Use any oil that meets the manufacturer's requirements. Your vehicle will last as long as it would with Pennzoil. Well maintained motors simply don't suddenly fail due to lack of lubrication. I'm sure Pennzoil (SOPUS Products) would honor their warranty....but that doesn't make it any less of a marketing gimmick.
That's fair.. I would agree it is a gimmick. Not a scam, but a gimmick, since yes.. use any quality synthetic, do the maintenance, and you'll likely have great results regardless of the oil brand.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L GDI V6 - FWD (Sparkling Silver)
189 Posts
Look, Pennzoil is a fine lubricant, I think we can all agree with that. If you care about your car but don't want to break the bank I think you can't find a better lubricant than Pennzoil, now, are there better oils out there? Sure! You can go with Amsoil Signature but it's going to cost you twice as much, is it worth it? Well depends, it's a fine oil that can provide you with 20 or 25k mile protection and ranks highest amongst competitors. But if you're not able or willing to spend that kind of money then stick to Pennzoil Ultra regardless of the warranty. KIA dealer wants $64.99 for Synthetic "blend".. you can buy the filter yourself from the dealer for $11 and the Pennzoil Ultra from Amazon for $22 per 5, and another $20 for an air filter also from Amazon.. Amazon orders will always be in the system for documentation, but the way I see it they'll always find a way out. But who cares? If you're really using Pennzoil ultra every 5k miles I doubt you'd ever have to worry about needing their warranty anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts