Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2011 Sorento with the 3.5L, V6. This is NOT a DGI engine. I purchased a new PCV valve from Kia. For the life of me I can't find where it goes. It is threaded on one side. I have looked in service manuals that show it in the vicinity of the oil filler cap. It is not there. Build date is May 2011.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
There is one for each bank. Are you looking for the one on Bank 1 (rear) or Bank 2 (front)?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Nope, each bank has a PCV valve. Each bank has TWO oxygen sensors.
Bank 1 PCV runs to the upper manifold (surge tank) behind the Throttle Body.

Bank 2 runs from near the oil cap, across the top of the engine near the injector rail, curves around the oil filter, and goes into the breather hose.
(note, the photo shown is taken from the point of view of from the firewall, looking toward the FRONT of the car, or the rear side of the engine)

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What was the reason you had to change a PCV valve so soon?
I am working with Kia Service to find a problem. I am a retired mechanic/Service Center owner. I am trying to eliminate all posibilites.
A failed PCV vale will causae a engine to idle and run rough. The engine knocks when it is cold and has been sitting overnight. I won't go into detail until the problerm is solved.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento FWD v6
33 Posts
Old thread I know, but I'm searching for my PCV(s) on our Sorento. Have been searching the web (and this forum) for some time until I came across this thread which seemed to just die without resolution. Also, one poster mentioned a pic, but no pic is on the thread that I can see.

I suppose I can start a new thread, but would just be a repeat of this one, so here goes.

Where the heck is the PCV on a 3.5 v6 (2011)? I looked it over again after reading the response above, but no luck. Anyone got a pic?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD
39 Posts
Standing in front of the car looking at the engine it is on the firewall side attached on right side of the valve cover. Underneath the throttle body. Real PITA to get to. I did mine when i had to remove the plenum to replace the rear spark plugs.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD
39 Posts
This is the firewall side of the engine. Notice the white paper tag in the foreground left side? That is the pcv hose. Just follow it down and that is where the valve is. Easy way to see if it is stuck open and letting oil get sucked into the plenum is to remove the hose from the top and see if its wet.
Mine was wet. Thinking it was bad i replaced it. Problem returned. Kia tested and wants to tear down the engine because it failed a blow-by test.
Also there is only one pcv valve not two as the poster earlier mentioned.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Sorento FWD v6
33 Posts
pemdas1972,

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't had a chance to get back to this due to other projects, but with your advice and pic, I will check tomorrow.

As for the other stating it had 2 PCV's, I'll search as he said on the front side, but I've never seen each bank have a PCV on anythings I've ever worked on before either. No to say there isn't an engine out there with more than 1, I've just never come across any. I'll update my results.

FYI, I was looking at changing the PCV due to mileage we're reaching on the Sorento. Haven't had any running issues yet..knock on wood!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts