Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX, Copper&Beige - 2009 ST1300 Honda - Wife's: 2016 Soul+ Bright Silver
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate it if someone would explain where the PCV valve is on the 2017 4G SX turbo.
A photo would be dynamite

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX, Copper&Beige - 2009 ST1300 Honda - Wife's: 2016 Soul+ Bright Silver
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI
I found this diagram on KiaPartsNow.com
The PCV valve is part number 26740 on diagram. (KIA # 26740-2G000)

KiaPartsNow.com.jpeg
x

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
636 Posts
Thanks for posting the schematic diagram!
I'll print it out marking where the PCV is located for future reference!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Are you just taking a look at it or do you perceive a problem with crankcase ventilation?
Actually I am looking at some recommendations that were made under my "SX Oil consumption" post
You said: "turbo oil seal"... is possible leak source and others have mentioned the PCV valve.
My oil consumption is very strange to me. I've driven cross country, high speeds & high temps and the oil level was always at full. Then routine driving this fall (a little "sport" mode) and I'm down 1/2 a qt in 2,000 miles. Same thing happened last year. Confusing.
I pulled the PCV the other day, its oily & so is the tube. It rattles when shaken, but the piston does not seat under its spring pressure. I'm going to get a new one to see if it seems to seat differently.
If I get no where with the PCV checking/changing then I'll pull a tube on the output side of the turbo to see if it shows any sign of oil leakage. (Are you still awake :) ? )

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
636 Posts
Okay....let us know what you find!

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
592 Posts
PCV are cheap on RockAuto, get a couple and change them every 20-30k miles.
I paid $3.77 for mine, they are very easy to replace.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
592 Posts
You may lose/burn oil depending on oil used as well. Pull your oil change records to see what oil was in use when you didn't lose any.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may lose/burn oil depending on oil used as well. Pull your oil change records to see what oil was in use when you didn't lose any.
I'm using Pennzoil 10w-30 Platinum synthetic, I ordered a PCV valve & wiper blades from KiaPartsNow.com yesterday.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX - Black / Beige
2,002 Posts
pop open the intake tract down stream of the turbo and stick your finger in there to check for oil on the walls of the intake tact. oil is a bad thing and is without doubt the turbo seal. However it doesn't honestly fit your symptoms and the oil consumption would be constant but worth checking anyway.

how many miles on this car Ken? While 10w-30 is ok for this engine, KIA recommends 5W-30. Can you smell gas when you pull the dipstick and smell it?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pop open the intake tract down stream of the turbo and stick your finger in there to check for oil on the walls of the intake tact. oil is a bad thing and is without doubt the turbo seal. However it doesn't honestly fit your symptoms and the oil consumption would be constant but worth checking anyway.

how many miles on this car Ken? While 10w-30 is ok for this engine, KIA recommends 5W-30. Can you smell gas when you pull the dipstick and smell it?
52,000, no gas smell (runs great)

·
Registered
892 Posts
I don't remember if this came up on your previous thread on the subject but there is a variable here and that is the amount of oil in the engine after the oil change. If you are changing it yourself, the possibility of error is reduced. If someone else is changing it, you need to check the oil afterward to make sure its where it should be on the stick.
I second the thought above that 5W-30 is the default oil weight.
The 5-qt jug contains 4.73 liters which is the same amount as the specification for the 2.0L engine, so you would just use the whole jug when you change the oil and filter. I have stood and watched guys try to use the dipstick to do this and they always do it wrong. There's no need to measure it out. It takes the whole jug.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't remember if this came up on your previous thread on the subject but there is a variable here and that is the amount of oil in the engine after the oil change. If you are changing it yourself, the possibility of error is reduced. If someone else is changing it, you need to check the oil afterward to make sure its where it should be on the stick.
I second the thought above that 5W-30 is the default oil weight.
The 5-qt jug contains 4.73 liters which is the same amount as the specification for the 2.0L engine, so you would just use the whole jug when you change the oil and filter. I have stood and watched guys try to use the dipstick to do this and they always do it wrong. There's no need to measure it out. It takes the whole jug.
Please see post #5, reply to 1saxman

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you changing the oil yourself or not? The whole thing sounds like errors to me.
Yes - I do change the oil myself.
New PCV valve coming today, I'll check to see if there is any difference between the new & old one; in how the piston seats, how they look. If the PCV change makes no difference I'll check the turbo output tube for signs of oil.
Thank you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts