Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2016 kia sorento sx+
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2016 new Sorento SX Plus (Canadian model). While waxing the car today, I noticed on the lower corner, near the tire, rear doors on both sides a rectangular area with defined edges like a patch. Difficult to describe, first I thought a deep scratch...... but on further exam it was rectangular like a patch. Anyone else? If not take a look at yours and see if anything similar. Puzzling.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
734 Posts
I just purchased a 2016 new Sorento SX Plus (Canadian model). While waxing the car today, I noticed on the lower corner, near the tire, rear doors on both sides a rectangular area with defined edges like a patch. Difficult to describe, first I thought a deep scratch...... but on further exam it was rectangular like a patch. Anyone else? If not take a look at yours and see if anything similar. Puzzling.
It is a film to protect areas that are likely to get hit by rocks (keep the paint from chipping when rocks fly by at 70 mph and hit it as it sticks out slightly).... or that is my best guess. :)

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento
396 Posts
It is a film to protect areas that are likely to get hit by rocks (keep the paint from chipping when rocks fly by at 70 mph and hit it as it sticks out slightly).... or that is my best guess. :)
it is exactly that

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
it is there to prevent paint damage from kicking or loading stuff through rear door
very common on many cars.

·
Registered
2016 kia sorento sx+
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually all answers are correct. Sales man told my wife..... I didn't hear the explanation at the time.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
924 Posts
I think what he is talking about is there "tape" covers over the blind spot radar.

·
Registered
Sorento 2016 SX V6 6AT, Civic 2006 LX AT
593 Posts
I have those patches as well (I think)

@CWayne - thanks for bringing this up.

I had noticed these "stickers" as well (see attached picture with red arrows added to show where this is on door) and was wondering whether to take them off or whether teh dealer as part of the PDI should have done so. Similar patch on the passenger side rear door but i have not uploaded that picture

Any guidance on this appreciated

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
was wondering whether to take them off or whether teh dealer as part of the PDI should have done so.
No, do NOT. Keep them there.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
@CWayne - thanks for bringing this up.

I had noticed these "stickers" as well (see attached picture with red arrows added to show where this is on door) and was wondering whether to take them off or whether the dealer as part of the PDI should have done so. Similar patch on the passenger side rear door but i have not uploaded that picture

Any guidance on this appreciated
DON'T REMOVE THEM, they are there to give you additional protection from chips. I have something similar on my Soul, also had it on my Soul prior to that and my Rondo prior to that. Stickers that are protection when shipping are general white, not clear and therefore will be removed by the dealer when they do the PDI.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
924 Posts
Two different stickers are being asked about. The radar stickers are in the area of the back door, not the bumper

·
Registered
593 Posts
thank you @PLP and @conwelpic - will ensure these are not removed / taken off. I had not noticed a similar patch on the Sorento frame (as in conwelpic's picture of Soul) but will take a closer look later today. Are there any other such patches?

And, (not to be a pain in rear), why are these patches on the rear doors? My assumption is stone chips (presumably from an adjoining vehicle given the Sorento's front wheels have mud flaps) have an equal likelihood of hitting any part of the Sorento's side. thanks in advance

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
924 Posts
thank you @PLP and @conwelpic - will ensure these are not removed / taken off. I had not noticed a similar patch on the Sorento frame (as in conwelpic's picture of Soul) but will take a closer look later today. Are there any other such patches?

And, (not to be a pain in rear), why are these patches on the rear doors? My assumption is stone chips (presumably from an adjoining vehicle given the Sorento's front wheels have mud flaps) have an equal likelihood of hitting any part of the Sorento's side. thanks in advance
Once again, they cover the access ports for the blind spot radar. Otherwise they would have to cut into the doors to repair the system, and I don't know if the radar could penetrate the metal anyway.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
697 Posts
Once again, they cover the access ports for the blind spot radar. Otherwise they would have to cut into the doors to repair the system, and I don't know if the radar could penetrate the metal anyway.
???

I don't think you are talking about the same thing as being discussed. The patches in question are on the lower corners of the back doors on several models to protect them from paint chips.

Blind spot radar is in the rear bumper.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts

yes its to prevent stone chips, that are kicked up by the front wheels on your own vehicle, I have OEM mudflaps on mine and I've even put on an extension but it still gets crap and stuff in that area - its a good thing my 2016 has a much larger "clear patch" that my 2012 as that was no large enough to protect that area properly.
A good test is looking at the side of the vehicle in winter when you can clearly see where the slush (or when driven on a muddy road) hits the vehicle coming from the front wheels - hence the reason for the extended mudflaps on the front - doesn't solve it but helps.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
924 Posts
???

I don't think you are talking about the same thing as being discussed. The patches in question are on the lower corners of the back doors on several models to protect them from paint chips.

Blind spot radar is in the rear bumper.
I think the rear avoidance radar is in the rear bumper. The patches on the doors are clearly NOT for stone protection.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
829 Posts
I think the rear avoidance radar is in the rear bumper. The patches on the doors are clearly NOT for stone protection.
Care to enlighten us as to what you think they are intended for? I'm in agreement with the majority who say they are protection against stone chips.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
697 Posts
They are clear pieces of film over the metal of the door. See pictures earlier in this thread for what is being discussed. I have a 2012 Soul that has these same patches and the 2012 Soul does not have blind spot radar.

The back bumper of the Sorento contains 2 blind spot radar detection units, 2 reverse sensors and the sensors for the auto lift gate function.

See attached parts diagram for rear bumper components.

Also see attached parts diagram where the patch being discussed is called a "stone guard".

Also, here are the instructions for removing the blind spot detection sensors:

Blind spot detection (BSD) unit
1. Disconnect the negative ()
battery terminal.
Be careful when removing the blind spot detection unit. The bracket may break off from the bumper.
2. Remove the rear bumper.
(Refer to Body "Rear Bumper Cover")
3. Disconnect the BSD connector (A) from the BSD unit.
4. Remove the BSD assembly (A) after loosening the mounting nuts.
When removing the BSD unit, be careful not to be damaged the bracket of BSD.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Care to enlighten us as to what you think they are intended for? I'm in agreement with the majority who say they are protection against stone chips.
I agree I'm curious too as to what they are for then if we are all wrong :eek:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Appreciate the detailed responses @conwelpic and @jasonamd. I hadnt realised the stone chips would be from my own car - which was quite relevant as my daily drive includes a construction area where gravel has crept onto the driving area.

that said - i checked my vehicle and it does not have the patches on the frame (shown by the arrows on the left in @conwelpic's picture). This is the situation on both passenger side as well as driver side of the vehicle. Do any of you have the equivalent patches on the Sorento (SX in my case)? Or is that the door / wheel well design of the Soul requires the extra patch. Thanks in advance and for your guidance on this issue

1 - 20 of 23 Posts