Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Mercury Cougar XR7 convertible, 2003 Santa Fe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kids passenger rear window will go down but will not go up. I switched switches from back to front and the rear one works in the front door , and the front one does the same thing down only. I used a battery charger and jumped a few connections,I got the window to go up and down. What should I be looking for now?

Thanks
Roman

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My kids passenger rear window will go down but will not go up. I switched switches from back to front and the rear one works in the front door , and the front one does the same thing down only. I used a battery charger and jumped a few connections,I got the window to go up and down. What should I be looking for now?

Thanks
Roman
I would use a multimeter with continuity test function to confirm each switch in-question, but it if the window motor(s) are operating ok, it sounds like you have traced the issue to the switches - it's not uncommon that they fail. (I've had to replace both the master switch assembly at the driver's door, and a rear window switch on the '00 daily driver here.)

You can either try disassembling the switch assemblies and cleaning, or source replacement switches - from a Kia dealer, a local salvage yard / "pick and pull", or you may also find some listed on eBay..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Not sure what your working on .The sportage switches don't interchange but the same principal still applies . The window seems to work when used with a external power supply. I would look for a bad connection or a broken wire maybe between the door an the car body under the rubber boot or the switch.
Check the simple things first.
chief

·
Registered
00 Sportage 4wd, 00 Sportage EX 4wd, 02 Sportage 2wd
175 Posts
GottaCruise is right, I've seen more problems with the master switch than the individual door switches. If you're careful you can dismantle the switches and check for burnt contacts, they will be obvious.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Mercury Cougar XR7 convertible, 2003 Santa Fe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:)I was playing with the wires today, and all fine, continuity etc, so I figured I'll try the master switch, I tried to take it apart but wasn't having that much sucess. So I sprayed some WD40 into the switch and work the levers up and down and then blew some air it to clean out any residue. plugged it and the windows were working up and down,(just for a while). I guess when it gets warmer here I will take the master switch apart and clean it out better. A little detective work and a lot of elbow grease!:)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hi kuchs72cat,

Glad to read you made progress w/ the diagnostics - I think you found the issue location (main window switch..)

Agree w/ inxquve that the rear switches don't usually fail - I suspect the former owner's kids spilled a can of soda on the one I ended up replacing..

Please keep us posted / how you make out w/ the repair,
GottaCruise

1 - 7 of 7 Posts