Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2011 XM Sorento and i've just replaced the passenger door actuator with a new Kia actuator. After I put it all back together I noticed that the door now locks and unlocks opposite to all of the other doors. If I use the key hob, press the lock/unlock button on the external handle or the internal lock/unlock buttons on both the driver and passenger side doors the same thing happens, it will do the opposite of the other doors. Have I just missed something obvious or is there a larger problem at hand?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
I would recheck your wiring going to the actuator... If it is plugged in wrong that door would operate reverse from the rest...
The difference between lock and unlock is just the polarity of the voltage on the two wires going to the actuator...

But then again maybe you got an actuator for the northern hemisphere and it operates wrong down under :)
Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it could be a case of the latter :-/

I took the door off again and had a look, there's only one wire that plugs in to the actuator and that wire can only go in one way so I don't think it's the wiring. Unfortunately I think you might be right about the northern/southern hemisphere thing, I think this actuator was made for a left hand drive (USA) vehicle. When I lock the car the cable extends out as in the top cable in the picture, which actually unlocks the lock. Also, when I start driving and the auto lock feature kicks in I can hear 5 or so faint clicks from the doors where the locks are trying to lock the door before it gives up. Damn annoying as it was a fair job to pull the old one out and put this one in. I do have a workaround for a while until I can source an Australian equivalent part - I exit the vehicle, lock the car via the external door handle button or the key fob, walk around to the passenger side door (which is now unlocked), open it and manually lock it from the inside then close the door. It's ok while I remember to do it but when my partner has our two little kids in tow that'll be another thing. Still, I guess it's a step up from not being able to open the door from the outside at all!

Cheers,
Ben

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
Ben...
A simple "cure" if the wires going to the actuator motor are only two is to cut the two wires and reverse wire them so the motor runs just the opposite way.... If there are more than two wires find the ones that go into the actuator motor and reverse them...Say you have a green and a yellow wire.... cut both and attach one green lead to the other end of the yellow lead and visa versa...tape them up so they wont short together and presto you now have the "correct" actuator....

I was kidding about the lock ass'ys being different north and south but they could be...

Hope this helps... :)
Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ben...
A simple "cure" if the wires going to the actuator motor are only two is to cut the two wires and reverse wire them so the motor runs just the opposite way.... If there are more than two wires find the ones that go into the actuator motor and reverse them...Say you have a green and a yellow wire.... cut both and attach one green lead to the other end of the yellow lead and visa versa...tape them up so they wont short together and presto you now have the "correct" actuator....

I was kidding about the lock ass'ys being different north and south but they could be...

Dave
Ha, well I thought it might be like our toilets where the water runs the opposite way
I contacted the eBay seller last night & he said that these parts are universal and they're also checked so I don't know if it's faulty or not. My gut feel is that it might be.

As to cutting wires, that'd starting to sound above my pay grade! But I don't think I could get into the actuator anyway, they're built like Fort Knox. I gave it a go on the old actuator and struck out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Ben,

I had the same problem as you, I bought a new actuator from the USA, installed it in my Sorento (in New Zealand) and when I locked the car the door unlocked, and when I unlocked the car the door locked. After some further playing around today I have fixed the problem by modifying the wiring. The wiring on the plug that connects into the actuator is tan/black, black, blue, orange, green. I cut the orange and blue wires and switched them and now it works perfectly

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seriously, you got it fixed? That's awesome! I've been looking for a second hand part for months now with no luck, I'll have to give this a go. Did you have to solder the wires or do they clip in & out? Any pics?

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a pic of mine, which ports did you swap, 3rd and 4th? Did you need any special tools? Sorry I'm a complete novice at this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ben...

Dave
Firoz from Mozambique !!!!
I just replaced 3 x Actuator motors in 3 doors except drivers door. Now all three doors work opposite to drivers door. I think I will follow advice from above , reverse 2 wires going to the motor, and see what happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Firoz from Mozambique !!!!
I just replaced 3 x Actuator motors in 3 doors except drivers door. Now all three doors work opposite to drivers door. I think I will follow advice from above , reverse 2 wires going to the motor, and see what happens. Thanks.
Forgot to mention, my car is 2000 Toyota Harrier, same principle !!!

·
Super Moderator
9,529 Posts
Forgot to mention, my car is 2000 Toyota Harrier, same principle !!!
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
Mozambique
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

1 - 12 of 12 Posts