Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2008 Optima, less than 2500 miles on it. Today I noticed that when my wife was sitting in the passenger seat, the dash light indicated "Passenger Air Bag OFF". I pulled over and restarted the car it and went off. I had a Chevy Aveo that had this EXACT same problem and the dealer could not/would not fix it. Incidentally, my wife is 5'6" and about 150 lbs. Anyone else out there with a 2008 Optima LX ever see this? I know it was a common problem with the Aveo - but again? On a Kia Optima LX? HELP!

·
Registered
209 Posts
she was probably not sitting upright and how the owners manual says she should. i have seen that alot. the customer complains of passanger airbag light not working i get in and sit upright in the correct posistion and then it turns off. im not saying there is nothing wrong but im just throwing that out as a suggestion

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sitting upright?

Huh? I don't mean to be a smart ass but she was sitting in it -normally- not with her head down or leaning to one side. I even had her move around -lean with back straight, shift weight from side to side and the light never went off. It immediately corrected itself when I turned the engine off and restarted it. She never got out of the car or switched positions in the seat. The only thing that changed was that the car was restarted.

·
Registered
968 Posts
My acura 1.7EL has side airbags in the seats. If I put a little bit of weight where the airbag is for a second my passenger airbag light comes on. It just helps if you get in a T bone accident. You don't want that airbag to blow when your mm's away from it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay - will try and thank you!

txkiatech, thanks. I reviewed the manual and didn't realize there was almost 4 pages dedicated to the airbag system operation. It clearly indicates that if you aren't in the right spot initially it might not recognize a passenger is present in the seat. Raven1210, also appreicate your input with this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Our 2007 intermittantly does the same thing. If I don't reposition myself reasonably soon after the car was started, the light will stay on. We also learned that turning it(The car) on and off seems to reset the airbags. I now just try to make a point of getting in and sitting with my feet flat on the floor and clicking the seat belt, and we have had much fewer times where the light won't go off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same issue with 1 month old 08 Optima

I have the same issue with my 08 Optima. I have had the car for a little bit over 1 month. It seems like it is 50/50 if the light will go out or not. I figured it was because the seats are still stiff and the problem would go away when the seats are broken in. I'll let you know if the problem goes away in a few months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Reno
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing