Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off I'm a car newbie and this is my first kia purchase and am in love with it!! :D

I was wanting to put projection headlights in my 2013 rio lx and also put HIDs (I don't want to cut the dust cap in the headlights I have on now thats why I want the projection headlights) but I guess since its such a new car there arent that many aftermarket parts out yet. So I was wondering, after looking at some pictures, the 2011 and 2012 rio's look about the same as the 2013. Can anyone confirm this? If they are that would be awesome.

Also has anyone else switched their headlights to projection? Where did you get them from?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,527 Posts
the only connection between the 2011 Rio and the 2012 is the name - it was completely overhauled for 2012 hardly much changed for the 2013 model.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
the only connection between the 2011 Rio and the 2012 is the name - it was completely overhauled for 2012 hardly much changed for the 2013 model.
the UB Rio was released in 2011, i'm guessing that's what the OP means when they say the 2011 and 2012 look similar

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must have not paid too much attention to the 2011. I am talking about the sedan version if that makes a difference.
But you said that hardly much changed for the 12 and 13 so does that mean the parts are pretty much interchangeable?

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
I must have not paid too much attention to the 2011. I am talking about the sedan version if that makes a difference.
But you said that hardly much changed for the 12 and 13 so does that mean the parts are pretty much interchangeable?
sedan or 5-door were both completely overhauled for 2012.

These were the changes for the 2013 over the 2012 model

Rio Sedan and Rio 5-door
- Revised KIA badge on hood, trunk lid and steering wheel
- Standard steering-wheel mounted paddle shifters on SX model
- Standard cargo floor tray and net on EX and SX 5-door models
- Revised rear seat back release lever (flip-type handle) on 5-door models
- Optional Integrated Stop and Go system (ISG) included with ECO Package

so its safe to say they virtually every item is interchangeable between a 2012 and 2013 and will be for quite a few years now.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
These were the changes for the 2013 over the 2012 model

Rio Sedan and Rio 5-door
- Revised KIA badge on hood, trunk lid and steering wheel
- Standard steering-wheel mounted paddle shifters on SX model
- Standard cargo floor tray and net on EX and SX 5-door models
- Revised rear seat back release lever (flip-type handle) on 5-door models
- Optional Integrated Stop and Go system (ISG) included with ECO Package

so its safe to say they virtually every item is interchangeable between a 2012 and 2013 and will be for quite a few years now.
Those changes between the 12 and 13 also depend upon production date. My 2013 was purchased in May and does not have the revised badge nor the paddle shifters, nor the ISG. As far as I can tell my 13 is just a 12 that they are calling a 13.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Not much changed for us. We got introduction of the 3door Rio's and the sedan as our MY13 offerings. The SLS already has most of those changes except for the ISG (Kia not brought it here yet). Wasnt it Yiannos or one of the other Australians said they have the updated badge on their Rio's??

We may get mechanical changes for the MY14 cycles, slight cosmetic updates for MY15 cycles.

On interchangability from hatch/sedan; not as many parts can be swapped between the two as the sedan has more overhang in both front and rear. Headlights have issues being swapped between the two as the bottom of the headlight is slightly different to the hatch. Its very small difference but maybe enough to not have snug fit if anyone tried swapping components across.

Foglights between hatch and sedan are completely different. Headlights are slightly different design between the two. Interior is almost identical except when you get to the rear for obvious reasons.

With looking at 2011 Rio's you need to be careful as they are considered the previous gen Rio's in the US. Current Rio was introduced late 2011 and is counted as being a MY12 model cycle.

Whenever you want to look for parts for the UB Rio's (our current one) its safest to put in the latest MY cycle to cut down on the amount of confusion as the old one is still on sale in some countries. Our current cycle for everyone will be Kia Rio MY13 or Kia Rio 2013+

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Those changes between the 12 and 13 also depend upon production date. My 2013 was purchased in May and does not have the revised badge nor the paddle shifters, nor the ISG. As far as I can tell my 13 is just a 12 that they are calling a 13.
this was strictly US info I gave above as the OP was from the US. Things can be sightly different for Canada. Your right about the minute change on the badge, I notice that on some other models too depending on production date. Paddle Shifters on the SX was a late availability for Canada. ISG is only available in the LX+ ECO model. This applied to both the sedan and hatchback models.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
yeah the US has always called the current years cars the next year. As in soon you'll probably see MY14 Mazda 3's and Chevs etc. Does anyone have a pic of the difference between the MY12 and MY13 Kia badge? Being an SLS i guess mine is a MY13.
go off the VIN number it tells you the year - 10th digit from the left C = 2012 and D = 2013.

here's the difference in the badge logo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts