Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 LX and my parking brake goes all the way to the floor and even then on a slight decline it will creak and moan if I push on the car making me think it's barely holding. I recently parking on a semi steep hill facing down and the parking brake literally did nothing. When I eased off the brake to while in park it simply rolled forward resting on the park gear.

Has any had any luck adjusting this? My car has 57k miles, but the parking brake has been this way since the day I bought it at 33k miles.

·
Registered
Sorento LX 2018
45 Posts
I have a 2018 and mine acts exactly like yours, so its probably the same.

If you look under the dash and under the foot e-brake pedal, you will notice that there is a spring to bring it back forward, but you will not find a brake xable attached to it. Instead there is a swutch that detects if the pedal has been pressed.

Yes, the ebrake is electronic, even if they made it seem mechanical. So pushing the pedal down halfway or all the way down makes no difference. The car only knows that e-brake is ON. Unlike the mechanical cable type where the e-brake pressure increases as the cable is pulled more (pedal pushed more).

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
@Aldrexx
Would love to see a picture of yours. All of this generation I've seen have a cable actuated by the foot pedal, my own included. Electronic brake is a separate issue.

@theToucan
The adjustment isn't at the pedal.

@timaishu
The adjustment is under the vehicle. It's looked like you see below for a lot of years on this and the Hyundai models.
The nut ("A") is the method of adjustment for cable 'length'.
Specific Kia instructions follow:

Caution: Parking brake adjustment must be carried out after adjusting rear shoe.

Caution: After adjusting parking brake, must be free from clearance between adjusting nut and pin. Inspect securely that brake is not dragging.

1. Operate parking brake pedal through a full stroke over three times for setting parking cables.
2. Adjust adjusting nut (A) for parking brake pedal stoke 8-9 notches when operating effort is 66 lbf

·
Registered
Sorento LX 2018
45 Posts
@ecanderson After you showed those pictures I quickly checked to confirm. Because I know I already checked in the past and saw a switch.

I am officially a moron and more so since I shared my wrong information.

The switch was only for the dash indicator light.

And yes, it is still a cable for the parking brake that I failed to notice initially (not sure how or why).

On the plus side, now I know I can manually adjust mine. As it (e-brake) too is almost useless right now.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Aldrexx
Would love to see a picture of yours. All of this generation I've seen have a cable actuated by the foot pedal, my own included. Electronic brake is a separate issue.

@theToucan
The adjustment isn't at the pedal.

@timaishu
The adjustment is under the vehicle. It's looked like you see below for a lot of years on this and the Hyundai models.
The nut ("A") is the method of adjustment for cable 'length'.
Specific Kia instructions follow:

Caution: Parking brake adjustment must be carried out after adjusting rear shoe.

Caution: After adjusting parking brake, must be free from clearance between adjusting nut and pin. Inspect securely that brake is not dragging.

1. Operate parking brake pedal through a full stroke over three times for setting parking cables.
2. Adjust adjusting nut (A) for parking brake pedal stoke 8-9 notches when operating effort is 66 lbf

View attachment 114705
Interesting. If that's the case I might be able to resolve this myself.. Im sure Kia would charge me a decent amount to re-adust.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
Just do be careful to follow the instructions re adjusting the rear mini-shoe BEFORE you go about trying to change the cable adjustment with the nut. Among other things, you really don't want the brake dragging slightly. It can do so quite imperceptibly until it becomes completely useless due to heat/glazing.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have the instructions for the shoe adjustment so I can give it a look over? I am not sure where you found that or the cable adjustment. I am mechanicaly inclined to a point. The PITA factor on my daily driver needs to be low for me to do it myself haha.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
That cable adjustment has been in every Hyundai/Kia shop manual for quite a number of years.

As to the mini-drum adjustment, here you go. Sorry the photos aren't any better, but they should be clear enough.

6. Install rear brake disc, then adjust rear brake shoe clearance, noting following:

a.Remove plug from disc, Fig. 5.

b.Rotate toothed wheel of adjuster by a screwdriver until disc is not moving, and then return it by five notches in opposite direction, Fig. 6.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
13 Posts
I have a 2017 LX and my parking brake goes all the way to the floor and even then on a slight decline it will creak and moan if I push on the car making me think it's barely holding. I recently parking on a semi steep hill facing down and the parking brake literally did nothing. When I eased off the brake to while in park it simply rolled forward resting on the park gear.

Has any had any luck adjusting this? My car has 57k miles, but the parking brake has been this way since the day I bought it at 33k miles.
I had, and still have, this same issue with a 2017 Sorento from day #1 - new car. The dealer could NOT fix it. They claim ... the e-brake only works when car is pointing UP the hill. The e-brake does NOT work when the car is pointing down the hill. They told me, there is only one E-Brake Shoe inside the Drum Hat. Their solution - Do not park the car, pointing down any hill, ever. I even escalated this new car issue to Kia Corp - their reply was ... Sorry, there is no solution. If you find a solution, then please let me know ...

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX AWD 3.3L
62 Posts
I had, and still have, this same issue with a 2017 Sorento from day #1 - new car. The dealer could NOT fix it. They claim ... the e-brake only works when car is pointing UP the hill. The e-brake does NOT work when the car is pointing down the hill. They told me, there is only one E-Brake Shoe inside the Drum Hat. Their solution - Do not park the car, pointing down any hill, ever. I even escalated this new car issue to Kia Corp - their reply was ... Sorry, there is no solution. If you find a solution, then please let me know ...
your dealer has techs without knowledge. Looks like 2 shoes to me, and an adjuster. Problem is techs are paid by the job (flat rate) and taking time to "do the job right" doesn't make money for tech OR the shop.

Kind why doing it ourselves is better, time

·
Registered
2019 Sorento AWD V6 EX-Sangria with stone beige leather
35 Posts
The breakdown shows the emergency brake to be almost identical to the one on my 04 F-150. I bought the truck new and the emergency brake has never been worth a crap regardless of what I have tried. The brake shoes are very undersized for the size of the vehicle and are just not very effective.

My 2019 EX has an electric parking brake which appears to work OK but I don't know how well.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still haven't addressed on mine yet. I'm taking my car in to the dealer this Friday for something else and will ask for a quote. But I came across the same part blow out sheet showing the internals as posted above.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
289 Posts
You mentioned problem was on the car when purchased at 31K miles. Brakes first (both sides) and then cable could just need adjustment. Or they may have been abused, worn out, or maybe a mechanical spring, etc. in the drum brake system.

If it were me, not knowing the cars first 31K miles history I would ....Pull the drums to inspect the system, then repair or adjust the shoes as necessary, then adjust the cable if needed. If you have never played with, nor adjusted, drum brakes this may all be new to you. But it's not complex, requires working under a jacked up with extra support car with front wheels chocked, parking brake off allowing the rear wheels to spin. If that's not in your ball park any reputable brake shop or the dealer could do the work.. I'm guessing If nothing is broke s/b an hour shop work order $75-150.00 USD. Also guessing a dealer will always find something worn or broke..:)

Update us on which way you go... and cost ...it help others make decisions.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You mentioned problem was on the car when purchased at 31K miles. Brakes first (both sides) and then cable could just need adjustment. Or they may have been abused, worn out, or maybe a mechanical spring, etc. in the drum brake system.

If it were me, not knowing the cars first 31K miles history I would ....Pull the drums to inspect the system, then repair or adjust the shoes as necessary, then adjust the cable if needed. If you have never played with, nor adjusted, drum brakes this may all be new to you. But it's not complex, requires working under a jacked up with extra support car with front wheels chocked, parking brake off allowing the rear wheels to spin. If that's not in your ball park any reputable brake shop or the dealer could do the work.. I'm guessing If nothing is broke s/b an hour shop work order $75-150.00 USD. Also guessing a dealer will always find something worn or broke..:)

Update us on which way you go... and cost ...it help others make decisions.
I'll keep you guys posted. I've done brakes before on other cars, but never the drum portion of a parking break. But havnt touched the Sorento yet. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I called a local shop and they quoted $100. I'm at kia and suprisingly the guy said $75. I'll have my car back end of day or maybe tomorrow. It has bigger issues actually unrelated to the brakes. I'll update my other thread. But yes, hope it fixes my problem!

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep 75 bucks is what my dealer charged. Not sure the method of whether they adjusted the key in the drum or just the cable, but it's better now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts