Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my SXL for 5 days now. I've noticed something odd with the program running the sunroof and wanted to know if anyone else has the same problem.

Example: You vent open the sunroof and then you want to close it. So when you hit the close button the sun shade moves forward and when it gets halfway the sunroof closes and so does the sun shade. All I wanted to do was close the vent. UGH.

Does anyone else's sunroof do the same?

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
559 Posts
While mine is a Canadian SX, it works the same way. Then have to hit the sun shade open button to open just the sunshade. Result is sunshade closes with button to close the sunroof, then turn around and opens with the sunshade open button. At first I had not been aware of the separate sunshade open/close function- button just forward of the sunroof open and close switch; until read the manual.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Tried another little test. I wondered if the sunshade was already opened, then opened the sunroof; would the sunshade still close when closed the sunroof. Test result was yes.
So looks like stuck with a two step process to close the sunroof, but keep the sunshade open. I generally run with the sunshade open but sunroof closed anyway. There must be some good tinting in the glass as direct sunlight through the roof does not bother me as much as it did in earlier cars - A 2009 Toyota RAV4 and a 2007 Acura TL; and these two cars had much smaller roof openings.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Only way is to just press the opposite direction while it is in the middle of closing. I haven't really messed with it much though.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX / 2013 Chevy Equinox LT2
42 Posts
So I've had my SXL for 5 days now. I've noticed something odd with the program running the sunroof and wanted to know if anyone else has the same problem.

Example: You vent open the sunroof and then you want to close it. So when you hit the close button the sun shade moves forward and when it gets halfway the sunroof closes and so does the sun shade. All I wanted to do was close the vent. UGH.

Does anyone else's sunroof do the same?
Yes, i have the same issue on my 2014 SX

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX 2WD Dark Cherry
19 Posts
I'm also annoyed by this odd feature. I keep the shape open all the time, so when I want to close the sunroof, it's annoying that the car assumes it needs to close the shade first.

-Andrew

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
367 Posts
Did you guys write yo Kia to report this bug ?

I guess if many people report it, it could be possible for Kia to consider this bug and to apply a program update under a TSB or equivalent, am I wrong ?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I, personally like the way it works. I never leave my shade open, so for me it's nice to have everything close with a quick touch of a button. But I can see how others might not like it. But I wouldn't call it a bug, or a malfunction, because I'm pretty sure that's how it was designed to operate.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fresh off the phone from KIA. That is correct and how it was designed to work. So we are stuck with the shade to close every time, even if we just want to close the sunroof or vent. I told the person on the phone to forward my complaint to the engineers who designed that operation. So if others feel the same way, please call KIA at 1 800 333 4542 and do the same. I owned a 2008 BMW X3 and that power sun roof would just close the sunroof or vent without closing the sun shade. I guess it just your personal preference.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm guessing that's why the included a separate switch just for the sun shade. Not sure if other cars with motorized sun shades always have a dedicated switch or not...this is my first experience with one.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Guess can't really win from a design perspective. This set up covers 2 out of 3 scenarios:
1. Works for sunshade alone (applies to me most of the time)
2. Works when open/close sunshade and sunroof at same time.
3. But need two step process if want to open and close sunroof while leaving sunshade open; even here the open phase is OK; it is the close phase that requires use of both sets of buttons.

Much better set up than 2013 models; believe back half had separate sunshade that was manual and thus could not be controlled from front seat.

All I need now is roof rack cross rails that will work with the 2014 "new" low profile side rails. Expect will come out as an accessory like the Sportage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts