Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX-L, 99 Camry LE, 93 Turbo MR2
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that the panoramic sunroof on the SXL could get cross bars, but I haven't seen that mentioned in any official literature nor seen pictures of what it might look like. The SXL's bars seem low already and have a filler between the bar and the roof which makes tying anything down with rope a bit of a challenge.

Has anyone else looked into this or thought about it?

:huh:

Karl

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
Did a lot of digging into this as wanted ability to store stuff on the roof but the "low profile" side rails make this impossible currently. However the Kia Sportage has the same low profile side rails for it's sunroof. There are KIA accessory cross rails intended specifically for this model. In addition there is a rectangular basket accessory that can be fastened to the cross rails with no load directly on the panorama roof. Having said that, the manual does say the roof can take a weight of as I recall 200 pounds.
This low profile side rail only comes with the cars that have panorama roof for 2014. The 2013's had the usual side rails.
I contacted a 3rd party vendor Carid. They did not have a suitable cross rail as yet.
Expectation is that with the 2014 Sorento being so new, that development by Kia of cross rail accessories that will work with the panorama roof side rails is only a matter of time, similar to those on the Sportage.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
Let us know if someone finds something.

I am currently in touch with Thule Canada about it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I am fortunately not in any hurray, so for time being will monitor the U.S. Kia site as seem to come out with accessories before the Canadian site does. I expect they will function the same way as the Sportage cross rails do. Long objects can be attached directly with option to use the rectangular basket for small objects and luggage.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
I am wondering if the Thule cross rails for the Sportage which has the same low profile side rails would fit ?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Not familiar with those but assuming function the same as the Kia ones for the Sportage, you could contact Kia to see if the Sportage cross rails fit. I am assuming not or you would think they would already be showing as an accessory, at least in the U.S. site, if not the Canadian one. U.S. site still only has cross rails for the regular profile rails.
Know when i contacted CarId , they did not yet have cross rails for the Sorento low profile side rails.
Question of fit would i assume be a function of length to fit width of the car and whether are adjustable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm considering buy an SX that has the sunroof. We have a cargo carrier that we have to use on road trips. Has anybody found out if kia has roof rails available for the sorento with the sunroof?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,720 Posts
Kia makes them, black with sunroof part# 1U021-ADU20, not cheap though. List price is $350.00 for the kit. I'll sell them to anybody for $279.00, plus shipping. Kia also makes a black and chrome kit for 2014 Sorento's w/out sunroofs. They are MUCH cheaper. List is$185.00 for the black kit, and $205.00 for the chrome kit. I will discount those prices as well. PM me if you want one.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Kia makes them, black with sunroof part# 1U021-ADU20, not cheap though. List price is $350.00 for the kit. I'll sell them to anybody for $279.00, plus shipping. Kia also makes a black and chrome kit for 2014 Sorento's w/out sunroofs. They are MUCH cheaper. List is$185.00 for the black kit, and $205.00 for the chrome kit. I will discount those prices as well. PM me if you want one.
Are you sure those fit the 2014 Sorento SX with panoramic sunroof since no website refer it yet ?

Any pictures ?

·
Super Moderator
4,720 Posts
I'm a parts manager at a Kia dealership. Yes, I'm sure they are for a Factory sunroof for a 2014 Sorento. OEM Kia accessory.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have not seen any cross rails for for the 2014 Sorentos with sunroof. Starting with the 2014's with sunroof, the side rails are now what Kia calls "low profile"; so lower and no gap between the rail and the roof. Kia U.S. website only has the non sunroof cross rails. I think it is a matter of time that Kia and 3rd parties will develop thrm, similar to the ones on the Sportage.

Just saw your post cobra259. So is this a part that Kia has released, just not added it to their website.

·
Registered
547 Posts
And another question for you cobra259. Since Kia has come out with a black per your post, any info as to whether kia will come out with a chrome one as they have for the non sunroof cars. Chrome cross bar would go much better with the chrome side rails.

·
Super Moderator
4,720 Posts
And another question for you cobra259. Since Kia has come out with a black per your post, any info as to whether kia will come out with a chrome one as they have for the non sunroof cars. Chrome cross bar would go much better with the chrome side rails.
No chrome yet. Kia tells dealerships when a new part comes out, before they post anything on any web site.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So are the cross rails available for a 2014 with the sunroof? The availability of these cross rails will determine when I buy a new sorento.

·
Registered
369 Posts
So are the cross rails available for a 2014 with the sunroof? The availability of these cross rails will determine when I buy a new sorento.
Yes there are (black ones). Have a look to cobra messages. He is a part manager in a Kia dealer close to Detroit. Send him a PM.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I finally found a full Thule setup that fits perfectly on the 2014 Sorento SX/SXL with panoramic sunroof :

Feet : Thule Podium Aero T460R
Thule-460R Rapid Podium Foot Pack
Fiting kit : Thule Podium Kit 4009T (same than the sportage)
Cross bars : Thule Aeroblade 53"
Thule-ARB53 AeroBlade Load Bar Pair
Locks

It is very high quality product with lifetime warranty but it is very expensive : 580$.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Suspect I'll buy the cheaper Sorento OEM cross rail, though unknown statsu a price of a chrome one. Going to Michigan next weekend to visit my daughter; going to visit the local Kia dealer; might also want the basket that fits on top of the cross rails as well; also interested in the front black bug protector and a set of all weather mats.

·
Registered
547 Posts
"I finally found a full Thule setup that fits perfectly on the 2014 Sorento SX/SXL with panoramic sunroof"

I was looking more closely at this site. While it states that their crossrail fits the 2014 sorento, I wonder whether it fits the low profile side rails for sorentos with panoramic roofs.
I note that they says it fits with flush mounted siderails, but I still wonder.
Think would want to verify with Thule before I ordered, but evne so, pretty darn expensive.
I had looked at a site for Car id who claimed a cross rail for the 2014 sorento but when I called them they indicated it did not fit the low profile side rail. As this type of side rail was brand new for 2014 in the sorento, they had not yet developed one to fit.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX-L, 99 Camry LE, 93 Turbo MR2
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you need two 4009 kits or just one?
Any pics?

I notice Amazon has this complete setup for about $350US

1 - 20 of 73 Posts